Double Expedition trailer build.

rlgrace2011

Observer
DanCooper: I read through your sawtooth build and it looks great! I actually was looking at it when trying to decide on if I wanted to go with the sawtooth plans a month ago. I really liked them but wanted something that sat down between the wells for a lower CG. Now I am also worried about potential mold after seeing the crap you went through before yours was sealed!

DanCooper

Adventurer
DanCooper: I read through your sawtooth build and it looks great! I actually was looking at it when trying to decide on if I wanted to go with the sawtooth plans a month ago. I really liked them but wanted something that sat down between the wells for a lower CG. Now I am also worried about potential mold after seeing the crap you went through before yours was sealed!

Thank you! Yes, the mold problem was my fault for not putting a finish on all of the interior. The side walls were finished with three coats of wipe-on polyurethane, and they were fine. The raw wood was what the mold grew on. No raw wood left inside there now!

You are doing great on your double build. I was hoping to see a "Poor Man's Fiberglass" on your build, but I understand the decision to go with a different finish. I have only seen one build thread with paint on canvas. The builder was happy with the result, but I'm wondering how it has held up over time.

It just struck me that having already put some coatings on your plywood that CPES might not penetrate. You may want to consider just rolling on some epoxy, scuffing it, and rolling the Monstaliner on top of that. I would call them and ask if that would be sufficient. They also sell some primer, but it looks like it is for metal.

rlgrace2011

Observer
It just struck me that having already put some coatings on your plywood that CPES might not penetrate. You may want to consider just rolling on some epoxy, scuffing it, and rolling the Monstaliner on top of that. I would call them and ask if that would be sufficient. They also sell some primer, but it looks like it is for metal.

I went ahead and sanded what I could, coated with water sealer anyways, and will be applying the monstaliner "silver aluminum primer" before the liner itself. Should adhere well I believe.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Quite a bit has been done since getting he rear door in the mail. Things have been really busy with both the trailer build and just in general around the house. I will try to catch back up.

Before my parents left on their "working vacation" We got both trailers out, painted the galley on both to reduce any chances of mold (exterior house paint). I did not like the square rear door on the back it looked "unfinished" so we went with these 48x32 double doors. Probably would have been easier to put the door in before the back wall was on but that wasn't an option. Took a couple hours, some sanding and a little saw work but got it put in and I couldn't be more satisfied with it.

The top portion of the door cut and removed. Now to cut through the 1 inch tubing that as backing the top line of the bottom section.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
After the rear door we spent the rest of the day getting the whole thing insulated, and the walls my wife chose put in as well. Amazingly enough in the pictures you can even see her working... (I about had a heart attack when I saw it!)

Insulation seems to be a contentious point when it comes to teardrops. Lots of people say to just do the roof, some say just the walls... I figured I would put as much as I could. It doesn't weigh anything at all to haul around.

IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
You can see in the above picture how the wiring is going to work. I want to have a 4 gang marine grade switch panel inside with a cigarette port so I can plug in a travel USB or an air pump, and a power meter to monitor the battery. For wiring in the ceiling I used a 3 wire strand extension cable. They come pre-sealed and wrapped so I did not have to worry about wire loom.
IMG_0151.JPG

rlgrace2011

Observer
Fenders came in from northern tool and I lined them with roll on. They will need to be cut and stretched to make the look that I like.
IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Here is my 4 gang marine grade switch. It is a little "deeper" than I had anticipated but a work around should be easy enough .
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So here is the work around to the depth problem. Before I put up sides and the roof on I predrilled everywhere I would want to run wire for electricity. That meant that the wire from the galley went from the floor up the side, and across the ceiling into the cabin area. Out of the ceiling dropping down I will have the "to battery" wires, and the "lights and fan" wires.

IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Saw, grinders, welders it doesn't matter and I can use them without injury. Give me a dang ol' box knife and I have one un-injured finger left.

IMG_0166.JPG

Last wall installed, and door cut out and then reframed with extra supports.
IMG_0161.jpg

Ceiling in, holes cut for LED recessed lighting, and wires dropped through for easy hook up. Installing the ceiling was no easy task and involved more "expert" help from my wife to get it done.
IMG_0167.JPG

rlgrace2011

Observer
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0163.JPG

Took me about 30-45 minutes to get the lighting all done up. These are warm white 12 volt RV lights. They came in a pack of 6 and I put 4 in the cabin. The light switches turned out well, they are up and out of the way and easy to add a 4th auxiliary when I want. Since the extension was 3 wires, black green and white, the fan and lights share the same white wire (positive) and then have separate negatives.

rlgrace2011

Observer
IMG_0168.JPG
Rear galley lights. Same kind of deal. The line running from the battery had a positive, negative, and extra which turned into my switch for the lights in the galley. Turned out well and really bright. Ill get some night time pictures soon. More to come, let me know what y'all think!

MGTexas

Looks great Ryan and Tabatha! Wish I was there to help. I agree that we need a switch in the galley.

DanCooper

Adventurer
This build is flying! I think it looks really great with the new rear doors. Your wiring solution was much simpler than mine. Since it is 93 degrees here in this campground outside Placerville, I wish I had insulation in mine, and since you are in TX, the insulation will be very beneficial to you I am sure.

rlgrace2011

Observer
This build is flying! I think it looks really great with the new rear doors. Your wiring solution was much simpler than mine. Since it is 93 degrees here in this campground outside Placerville, I wish I had insulation in mine, and since you are in TX, the insulation will be very beneficial to you I am sure.

Thanks! I teach school so I have a lot of time right now and we want to take it on its maiden journey in about 2 weeks. I also like the rear doors. They are plenty big, have a full seal and are considerably lighter than the full wood ones. The wiring turned out well and didn't cost me anything because we already had the old frayed extension laying around. More to come

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman