Downloading California Maps/DOQs from Casil

rmccoy

Observer
I just started running Oziexplorer and have downloaded the 250k and 100k topos for CA at http://archive.casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/maps/drg/7.5_minute_series_albers_nad83_mosaic/tiff/. I've now started downloading the 24k topos and DOQQs; however, its taking forever, not the download speed, but just the clicking the link and "saving as."

What I've been doing is saving the tif files here a work using the "save as" method b/c they're large and then saving the assocated files (aux, tfw, etc) files at home using downloadthemall.

Is there a faster way?

I've also tried using Casil's ftp site ftp://casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/remote_sensing/ thinking that I could just download the whole folders, however, the folders do not contain any files. Can anybody explain what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you offer,

Ryan

redbeard

Adventurer
down them all with firefox

Look for an add-on for firefox called down-them-all!.
You can set an option to download all .tfw and .tif and it will do all the work for you.

-Mike

rmccoy

Observer
redbeard said:
Look for an add-on for firefox called down-them-all!.
You can set an option to download all .tfw and .tif and it will do all the work for you.

-Mike

Thanks. I've installed firefox and download them all at home and it makes short work of the small files like the .aux and .tfw files. For the large tif files it didn't work very well. Currently I'm downloading the tif files at work because of the fast connection and I can't use firefox at work.

Anybody use the ftp site to download files?

whitethaiger

Adventurer
I've used both http and ftp sites to download maps when I prepared my DVD sets. Depending on the site I've manually selected files in a ftp client or automated the download with a little program.

You are dealing with large files, so things will take time and it does not all depend on you connection only. If I remember correctly the server you are downloading from was often slow during the day, so I let my program run over night.

rmccoy

Observer
whitethaiger said:
I've used both http and ftp sites to download maps when I prepared my DVD sets. Depending on the site I've manually selected files in a ftp client or automated the download with a little program.

You are dealing with large files, so things will take time and it does not all depend on you connection only. If I remember correctly the server you are downloading from was often slow during the day, so I let my program run over night.

Thanks whitethaiger. I've been reading your oziexplorer posts religiously. Do you have a suggestion for a program to automate the download from an ftp client?

whitethaiger

Adventurer
rmccoy said:
Thanks whitethaiger. I've been reading your oziexplorer posts religiously. Do you have a suggestion for a program to automate the download from an ftp client?

At the time when I needed this I didn't find a suitable program, so I wrote a little routine that did what I wanted.

I would look into ftp clients that let you prepare queue's for download. My current favorite client is Smartftp. I've used it's queue feature before, but always copy and pasted the file path into the queue. I believe it can read this information from a file, but I've never used it that way.

rmccoy

Observer
whitethaiger said:
At the time when I needed this I didn't find a suitable program, so I wrote a little routine that did what I wanted.

I would look into ftp clients that let you prepare queue's for download. My current favorite client is Smartftp. I've used it's queue feature before, but always copy and pasted the file path into the queue. I believe it can read this information from a file, but I've never used it that way.

Thanks, I'll check it out. So far, I've got about 75% of the 24k maps downloaded and should have the rest done this week. I've been looking at the DOQQs on the casil and downloading them seems daunting - over 640gb of data. I plan on downloading them for selected regions and supplement later if need be. I've downloaded the DOQQs for where I live, and the detail is incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears