Downtube shifter opinions

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Hoooollllly donkey poo! I typed this long post up a few hours ago, then the forum server went down as I hit Submit. Of course, I didn't copy/save the text. So just did it again few minutes ago. You'd think I'd have learned from the first experience. :coffee:

Ok, for the third time......I occaionally browse the local classifieds and recently happened on an older Bianchi for a good price. The thing is in great shape being 23 years old. It's a 7 speed and has a Superset butted Cromo tubing. I thought that since my garage is full of SS/fixed bikes, one geared bike wouldn't be a bad idea (although it still might get the SS treatment as it already has horizontal drops! :D)

This bike came with DT shifters. I've never spent any time on DT shifters (only used STI). Obvious negative is you have to take your hands off of the handlebars. Positives are simplicity/reliability, and weight (?). I do not road race and will use the bike just as a group/solo ride bike. I understand that changing it to an 8+ speed rear with STI may require cold-setting the rear spacing to a 130mm. (I have to measure, but I believe it is a 126 currently).

Before I go through all of that, any opinions on DT shifters? Anybody still use them and/or PREFER it to STI's?

Thanks for any opinion.

And before I hit Submit.....CTRL+A and right click and copy.

EDIT: Of course it works this time. :snorkel:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Well, you can find some folks that like most anything.. dt shifters included. They usually claim weight and a dislike of the sti hood feel as reasons. But 99.9999% of the world agrees that they pretty much suck.

On that bike you could do bar end shifters, or better yet, do a flat bar with thumbies, etc. as possible alternatives. You could even mount the dts on the bars somewhere with some work.

-Mike

4xdog

Explorer
Having been a rider of nice bikes since the mid 70s, I can't count the number of shifts I've made-- probably hundreds of thousands. Downtube shifters are OK -- they're certainly a LOT lighter than brifters -- but I prefer bar end or STI levers. Some of the best downtube shift levers in history were the pre-index Suntour Power Levers. I still have a set on one of my bikes, and they're a dream. I've put lots of miles on Campy NR shifters, and although I love the marque, their standard old levers are awful. The last two road bikes I've built up, a Waterford and an Alex Singer, were built with DA STI levers.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Yeah, I sold my Trek 5.5 full DA bike earlier this year and it is definitely different. I went on a short jaunt today and it actually wasn't too bad. Only part i had trouble with was going up a steep hill and not being able to shift while standing. I'll try it out for a few more weeks and see if i can adjust to this. If not, local guy can cold set and align the frame for me for $20 and I'll throw on a 9/10 speed back there with STI up front.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My wife's 47 year old Italian has them.

Shes okay with them. I hate them. it simply requires too much effort to make the gear changes. Hard to do without your shoulders rotating.

fin02.jpg

I run the bar end shifters. Much less distance for your hand to travel for shifting. And your shoulders dont have to rotate at all.

Here are the bar end shifters on my 37 year old Viscount.

fin10.jpg

GelandeStrasse

I have DT shifters (Suntour Power Ratchet, the ugliest shifters you've ever seen) on a Cross Check. I ride about 50% road, 40% southern California fireroad (steep and rutted), 10% singletrack. I prefer the feel of the shift compared to STI, but shifts can be a little sketchy off road- on road is fine. If you can drink from a water bottle, you shouldn't have a problem. I definitely prefer the look of a bike without all those cables sticking out the front.

Another advantage is if you switch between SS and geared, no unraveling of bar tape, just pull the shifters/cable/derailleurs off.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the inputs. Good point on the ease of going SS, Gelande.

1Speed - Not sure if you mean STI or DT shifters, but I've got the DT shifters already. Appreciate the offer, though. Still saving up for that wheel set!:D

1speed

Explorer
Thanks for the inputs. Good point on the ease of going SS, Gelande.

1Speed - Not sure if you mean STI or DT shifters, but I've got the DT shifters already. Appreciate the offer, though. Still saving up for that wheel set!:D

Yeah I had some older downtube shifters around here somewhere. No STI's though.

Wander

Expedition Leader
When I finally got a bike with campy ergo levers I thought -why didn't this come out before! I raced a lot of years with friction DT shifters so I got used to them but I would not say I prefer them. Now they only hold a vintage appeal. The one advantage of DT shifters was that you could sneak a downshift with your knee before you attacked. You could also come alongside another rider and drop his shifter down as a joke but I wouldn't call that an advantage. If you do stay with the DT shifters go the whole way with wool shorts, tow clips and Detto or Duegi shoes! Oh yeah-thanks for making me feel ancient!

What model Bianchi and what gruppo is on it?

chimivee

Observer
I think brifters are easily the best innovation to road bikes since... I can't remember know when - as long as I've ridden bikes, for sure.

Can you still by Sora STI levers? It's a fairly inexpensive way to convert to brifters. I did this on an old 87-ish Trek 1200. Worked great.

I don't hate a lot of stuff, but downtube shifters and ketchup packets are two of them.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I think brifters are easily the best innovation to road bikes since... I can't remember know when - as long as I've ridden bikes, for sure.

Can you still by Sora STI levers? It's a fairly inexpensive way to convert to brifters. I did this on an old 87-ish Trek 1200. Worked great.

I don't hate a lot of stuff, but downtube shifters and ketchup packets are two of them.

Well, there is slightly more to it than that. I would need to widen the spacing in the rear. Need new 8 - 10 speed cassette and wheel. And matching derailleur. I don't have that lying around, so it'll be semi expensive.

chimivee

Observer
Well, there is slightly more to it than that. I would need to widen the spacing in the rear. Need new 8 - 10 speed cassette and wheel. And matching derailleur. I don't have that lying around, so it'll be semi expensive.
True enough. Well then, runs what you brungs! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78