Dream Build (Expo) Vs. Reality (hauler) - 91' SR5 Pickup

cully

So we'll see how this thread pans out but this will be the documentation for the journey of this truck, it probably won't be glorious, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully this with turn into a nice budget build thread.

So my side of this truck story starts with me wanting an offroad vehicle. Living in Colorado we have so much back country to explore, it's a shame not to have the capability. I'm a mountain biker so I have a pretty good feel for whats right in our proverbial back yard (IE: the Pikes Peak Region) and first on my list would have been a dual sport Moto to do some single track riding and some back country camping. It became clear fairly quickly that this wasn't going to fly with the wife. We just bought a house and hauling stuff around for the house would be a big advantage were a moto would have been just for me and has no practicality. With the truck, I could build it up as a backcountry camping/weekend expedition rig on a fairly low budget while keeping it usable for around the house.

After pushing the idea for a while I finely got the go ahead to pick up a truck. I found a 91 SR5 Pickup with low miles (155K) and a clean body. The, timing belt, water pump and head gasket had supposedly been done at 145K so it was a go. I was able to pick it up for $3K Which I was pretty happy with. Here it is, basically in the state I picked it up in, nearly bald tires, only 5 mag lug nuts per wheel (fixed that right away), Aux light switch in the cab that's connected to nothing, other than that it drove pretty well for a 3.slow .
IMG_1919.jpg IMG_1920.jpg

So far I've spent some cash fixing up some easy things. I got a cheap new BOSS head unit, and BOSS Speakers for the dash. I bought a tailgate pad to haul bikes around and do some shuttle runs.
IMG_1935.jpg
And the big money went to Fresh new KO2s 31x10.5x15
IMG_1959.jpg

I'm planning on keeping the mods fairly tame so I can keep it usable to haul building materials around the house while being able to quickly outfit it to go backcountry camping with the wife on the weekends.

Next up- I grabbed some LED Floods that I can hopefully wire up to the existing switch in the cab, there are already wires poking out by the bull bar. maybe that's a project for tonight.

Short list -
Find a Camper Topper
a in-bed camping setup
offroad bumpers

long list-
Leveling Kit ?
Rear Ausie locker
sliders

Last edited:

pyrate

Rollin' along
For the home needs, what about a trailer? Build the truck the way you want and for a slightly higher budget you use the trailer as needed. That way no compromise other than perhaps the budget being a bit higher overall.

michael_l

Observer
I would think that by the sounds of this a trailer is just another $$$ to buy, register, store, etc. Seems like he needs / wants a camping access vehicle, not a global expedition vehicle. To you sir, I say let your modest (freak) flag fly and resist the urge to go extreme on the mods!

Or I could be off base and he wants a rad built truck and needs a trailer for errands and dump runs, in which case I look forward to drooling over his build because they are fun to watch!

In either case, sounds like a good buy, good luck!

m

Last edited:

cully

I would think that by the sounds of this a trailer is just another $$$ to buy, register, store, etc. Seems like he needs / wants a camping access vehicle, not a global expedition vehicle. To you sir, I say let your modest (freak) flag fly and resist the urge to go extreme on the mods!

m
Yeah man you hit the nail on the head, this is going to be a jack of all trades. yeah no need for a global expo vehicle for me, the most I'd be doing would be a week long backcountry trip across Colorado, but mostly weekend camping in spots subarus aren't comfortable getting into. this is mostly a spot to document the mild mods I do hopefully it'll turn into something cool.

Clutch

<---Pass
but mostly weekend camping in spots subarus aren't comfortable getting into...

yan know, I was out last week exploring up in the Sawtooths...going up a moderately rough road...I even put it in low range not to beat up the truck, feeling all proud of myself and my Tacoma...get to the trailhead...and there sits a Suby...

11232181_10153679316614630_6264351293919963800_n.jpg

Last edited:

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Nice truck, I used to have one just like it:
detailed04.jpg

I never understood the 3.slo thing...mine did great with the 5-speed manual. I previously had a 22R-E powered one and that thing was SLOW!!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice truck!

Agree--it's tough to find places the Subarus aren't getting to.

I also agree that it's tough to beat a trailer for transporting materials. We just have Dad's little 4x8 Harbor Freight here and it does all the hauling. It's a lot easier to load than a truck bed.

I have a partial-case locker (LockRight) from my earlier, 4wheeling days. I kind of ask myself if I would do it again if I just got the truck now. For my current use, I wouldn't, because I'm just not on that challenging of terrain any more. It depends a lot of where you want to go. You do get completely used to it after a while, to the point that it really doesn't detract from normal driving.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Nice truck. Great platform to build off of. I started with the same idea in mind with virtually the same truck except mine has the 22RE 4cylinder. These trucks are amazingly capable with a few simple mods. I feel that some armor and a rear locker will get you most anywhere you want to go in our great state of Colorado. A lot of people will tell you that a non-selectable rear locker is a bad idea for a truck used year 'round in our state due to the on road quirks they exhibit. I tend to disagree. While you do have to modify your driving style (especially during winter), the extra traction off-road is well worth the quirkiness on-road. One of my first mods was to re-gear for 33's and add a Detroit locker to the rear end. Best mods I have done to the truck. I can go way more places now with the extra traction I have.
I drive my truck everyday, all winter long and I live in Crested Butte where we average 250"-300" of snow a year. Yes it has some quirks on the snow and ice; but I have learned how to drive in these conditions and I won't ever go back to a non-locked rear differential again. Another benefit is that in 2-wheel drive on icy roads or parking lots you can have way more fun drifting or doing donuts than you can with a stock differential. One more thing though; I do run 4wheel drive on the road if there is any chance of ice. Around here with speed limits at 55 its no big deal. In the city where commuting speeds can be 75, your ideas might be different. I would still lock it.
Mine's also a budget build that I built to explore our fair state. Here's the link to my build if you are interested in where I went with my truck. I have to say that I am happy with all my mods. Hope you can take something from it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-budget-built-89-toyota-pickup-expedition-rig

cully

I never understood the 3.slo thing...mine did great with the 5-speed manual. I previously had a 22R-E powered one and that thing was SLOW!!
Ha, yeah yeah I probably think it's slow because I've only driven my WRX for the past 8 years, this doesn't have quite the same ompf. My subaru isn't going to get the same places as that forester but they sure are super capable.

Nice build XLCaferacer that's basically what I'm looking to do just a nice practical and capable Colorado build.

Thanks for everybody's insights on lockers I might be pinging you guys for some other insights on mod's that I'm planning down the road too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998