Drill bits!

fireball

Explorer
Gentlemen,

The time has come to buy a complete set of drill bits. I've had a few sets of misc. Dewalt and others available from the local home center. They dull quickly when drilling metal.

I would like a complete set of number and letter and fractional bits. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've had good luck with mcmaster but only want to spend $300+ if it is necesary. http://www.mcmaster.com/#8834a71/=x4eral

Thanks in advance for any help!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Personally, I wouldn't waste money on a high quality set of bits when I know only a small number of those will actually get used. For common size bolts your only going to use common tap and clearance sizes, unless you work on a TON of projects at the level a job shop would.

It is more fuss, but get a mid grade or so set of HSS, which you are buying mostly for the drill index. Those bits will work at least the first time you need them, and when you dull one, set it aside and replace it with a high quality bit from McMaster or Fastenal.

In time you will have replaced the most used bits with high grade bits you would not have wanted to pay for up front if you bought a entire set of that quality. And you still have mediocre bits for that odd time you find you need an oddball size.

ripperj

Explorer
I bought a quality complete set from McMaster Carr or MSC 20 years ago and never regretted it. Seems like I paid over $100 back then. I have a small machine/wood shop and use it all the time. I also bought spares for all the common sizes like #7 (1/4" tap) and all the most used fractional 1/8,1/4,1/2 etc
I think I have used the letter drills only a few times.
There are times that I wished I had one of those drawer sets that had 1/2 dozen each of the fraction sizes
Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

eggman918

Adventurer
Check out http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM
They have a good selection from cheap to top of the line and they are labeled and priced accordingly you can compare what you will get for your money.I would buy one of the mid priced sets and replace the ones that you wear out with higher end drills.

Rich.

I have no idea if you can get them over there but Dormer A002 bits are my current favourite. Im an Engineer and my dad has been and engineer and machinist for years and swears by dormer. I use the newer tin coated A002 bits and they are phenominal. They cost £100 a set in the UK if that gives you an idea. Dormer are probably the biggest brand in Europe for top end professional/production use cutting tools.
Rich

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will start checking these out. I've wanted for a number or letter bit enough times when using riv-nuts or other tight clearance items that I'll be happy to have a complete set. I know many of them won't get used but it's worth it to have whatever I need handy instead of either trying to make do with the closest bit on hand or waiting until I can order something or drive by Sears to pick something up.

fog cutter

Adventurer
i also keep a tapered reamer handy for those times when i don't have the exact size. drill close on the small side and ream up/ go-no go.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It is more fuss, but get a mid grade or so set of HSS, which you are buying mostly for the drill index. Those bits will work at least the first time you need them, and when you dull one, set it aside and replace it with a high quality bit from McMaster or Fastenal.
That's what I did. Bought one of these years ago, http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-cobalt-drill-bit-set-61886.html and have slowly replaced them as needed. But, believe it or not, I got pretty good service from the set.

verdesardog

Explorer
Get yourself a Drill Doctor, it's one of the best tool investments I ever made. I can sharpen bits by hand but the Doc. has made it so much easier.
Any time I have a bit the isn't drilling up to par a quick hit on the sharpener does wonders even with cheap bits.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Get yourself a Drill Doctor, it's one of the best tool investments I ever made. I can sharpen bits by hand but the Doc. has made it so much easier.
Any time I have a bit the isn't drilling up to par a quick hit on the sharpener does wonders even with cheap bits.
I do mine by hand but it took practice and a good teacher. One will be perfect and the next not so good. It's a real hit or miss for me. I need one of those drill doctors. As far as bits go I think the Sears bits are as good or better than most. You just need to watch out that you don't get some weird multi edge angles on some because they can't be sharpened. A spray can of foamy cutting fluid really helps them last.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
+1 on drill doctor, no matter what bits you get.

As for bits, I HIGHLY recommend Champion Cutting bits

By far the best steel bits Ive ever had.

And their carbide tipped steel hole saws are flat amazing

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
You say they dull quickly when drilling through metal. How fast of a drill speed are you drilling? You want to drill metal on a low speed or you'll burn the bit up really fast. Also, using some cutting fluid helps. My 81 year old dad is a retired machinist and he sharpens my bits by hand on a grinder for me. I just can't get the hang of it.

anickode

Adventurer
ITM makes some bada$$ drill bits. Their Cobalt HSS ones will drill a 1/2" hole through inch thick stainless in one shot with no pilot hole, and make two continuous curls the whole way through. And it'll do it over and over again. Their 29 piece Cobalt HSS set that goes from 1/16" to 1/2" in 64th increments is around 250 bucks. That'd buy you a Drill Doctor and several sets of Irwin bits, which in my experience are vastly better than Dewalt, Rigid, and other common brands you find at the home improvement store.

I bought a big 200-some piece set of No-names at Costco about a year ago... came with like 5-10 bits in every size. I bought it mainly Because I liked the case for sorting out my whole drawer full of resharpened orphan drill bits. A year later, I still haven't done that... Because I'm still using those no-name Costco bits. They do fine in anything up to and including Mild steel. For anything harder, I grab a better bit.

Also, don't fall for anything that has a "pilot point" or "easy start" or "self piloting" tip. They are near impossible to resharpened without grinding the first 1/4 inch completely off the bit, effectively turning them into "normal" bits.

And as mentioned, proper bit use, such as speed, pressure, and lubricant will greatly increase the life of ALL drill bits, but is MOST important with cheap bits because one little screwup will take that bit that was as sharp as a razor and make it as sharp as a q-tip in a couple seconds, which is a BIG problem if it's the only one you have.

Last edited:

spikolli

Buy a set of high quality HSS drill bits but skip the fancy coatings from a fastener or machine tool supplier. Fractional and number sizes are used the most. Most importantly learn to sharpen a drill bit on a bench grinder with a 6" 1/64" graduation ruler and a drill point gauge. It is a tricky thing to learn and takes a lot of practice to do quickly and well ( ie accurately sized hole). That being said aside from reading and basic math it may be one of the most useful skills I have ever learned. Use cutting oil when drilling metal to keep the drills sharper longer (plumbing asile at HD) an to save the hard work. There are some good vids on youtube for drill sharpening. mrpete222 has a good video on it.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I have a set of good drill bit for the drill press. I use cutting fluid with them and they have lasted.

For the hand drills I use craftsman drill bits. I buy several of there cheap sets every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears