Dripping Springs to Globe, AZ 12/17

timh

Explorer
Kenmoto and I decided today would be a good day to do a run we have been talking about for some time now. We had scouted out the route on Google Earth and figured we would give it a go.

We left Tucson and headed north on Hwy 77 to Winkelman, we stopped there topped of the tanks and continued the next 15 miles to Dripping Springs. We pulled over for a quick photo in the Gila River Canyon.
IMG_0659.jpg

Once we got on Dripping Springs Rd. we stopped for a quick air down.
IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Pinal Mountain, our route should take us up and over the top.
IMG_0664.jpg

A view back to the Southeast toward the Gila River.
IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

A random canyon off to the side that had a great campsite next to it.
IMG_0679.jpg

Dropping down into Pioneer Mine area.
IMG_0681.jpg

Some very, very stubborn cows. They obviously aren't bothered by Ken's bullbar.
IMG_0683.jpg

A view to the east, we are about 2/3 of the way up the mountain at this point. We had planned on taking a left fork in the road that would have taken us out into this area and up to the west side of the peak. I drove about 100 yards down the fork and backed out again, it looked as if it had been an atv only trail for quite a long time. We opted to continue up the more well traveled road to see where it would take us.
IMG_0693.jpg

timh

Explorer
Finally our 1st bit of snow, and it was much lower in elevation than we expected to find it. Our good road had quickly turned narrow and rougher but not so bad that we couldn't continue.
IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

Our bad road connected to another good road that came in from the west and appeared to continue up the east side of the peak. We were the only vehicle to travel the road since the recent snow. Along the left side of the road there were bear tracks from a bear that looked like it might have been in a full run. Each four prints were about 5-6ft apart. I forgot to get a pic of the tracks.
IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

The only wildlife we saw all day was this deer. I had to use the digital zoom the get him, he was about 800-1000 yards away.
IMG_0705.jpg

We made it to the top of Pioneer Pass. It was beautiful up there. We stopped for a bit here and let my daughter play in the snow.
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

We walked down the road a bit the check the conditions. The road to this point had been a shelf road mostly open and out in the sun. From here the road dropped down into the pines and the snow got deeper. Ken decided to ease down and see how it felt. We live on Southern AZ so you will understand our lack of snow driving experience.
IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

The road was fine so we pressed on, driving through 8-10" of fresh untouched snow. Although it wasn't long before we were stopped dead in our tracks.
IMG_0729.jpg

We discussed our options and neither of us wanted to cut this tree up with the axe, and it was a little too big to winch out of the way. Going back the other was is only a last ditch options so we decided to build it up and drive over it. A good 20 minutes worth of work and we were ready to give it a shot.
IMG_0730.jpg

Yours truly.
IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Our supervisor. She's a slavedriver!:Wow1:
IMG_0735.jpg

more to come...

timh

Explorer
IMG_0738.jpg

It was up to me to test the waters, that way Ken could winch me back off of the tree if I couldn't clear it.
IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

As soon as we could tell it wasn't going to clear it was too late, I was high centered. We hooked up the winch but had no luck there either, I was hung enough that it would just pull Ken toward me.
IMG_0758.jpg

Only other option, jack up all four tires and build it up a little more. I have had this hi-lift mounted on the rack for 2 years and this was the 1st time I had to pull it down.:) I do have to say, the hi-lift wheel adapter was a very useful tool, I love it!
IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Success! It really only took us about 1.5 hours to get past this tree, but we had fun doing it!
IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

We ate lunch just passed the tree as we had worked up quite the appetite. We drove down through Pioneer campground as we descended the north face of the mountain. To our surprise there were actually a couple of tent campers up there in the snow.
IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

After arriving in Globe we decided to head west toward Superior. We stopped near Top Of the World and briefly checked out a another backroad.
IMG_0784.jpg

Ken wanted to get back home but we needed more so we turned off at Superior and he stayed on the highway toward home. We took 177 down to Kelvin and took the dirt road across toward Florence, then down Barkerville Rd and through Willow Springs to 77 (about 50-60 miles of good dirt roads.)
IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

Saw this horseshoe cross alongside Florence-Kelvin Hwy.
IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Managed to catch this Hawk as he was ruffling his feathers. I wish the pic had come out clearer.
IMG_0804.jpg

One last stop on Willow Springs to enjoy the sunset and take care of business.:ylsmoke:
IMG_0807.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the report. It was such a great day of exploring and adventure, I can't get enough.

Last edited:

wstarkaz

Sounds like it was a great trip. I wish I could have made it. The snow would have been pretty cool.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
You tucson folks are really having some fun...I had not heard of pioneer pass but you can bet I will be checking it out now
thanks for the great writeup

timh

Explorer
You tucson folks are really having some fun...I had not heard of pioneer pass but you can bet I will be checking it out now
thanks for the great writeup

We hadn't heard of it either, we just sort of ended up there. Glad we did though, it was a ton of fun. I plan on spending quite a bit more time in the area..

A

agavelvr

nice trip report.
I love the Superior, Top of the World, and Winkleman area, but haven't been in the area you posted about.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nice trip Tim.

I haven't been through Pioneer pass but I explored the West side of Pinal mountain a few years ago scouting for a campsite for our annual piggy trip. I was amazed once I got up to the top and saw how many cabins were up there in the pines. I had no idea that kind of development was up there. The canyons and ridges to the West of the mountain are loaded with great trails. We even came across and old abandoned landing strip down lower just east of dripping springs road.

No question that area could keep one busy for along time checking it all out.

GTABurnout

Explorer
Great report. I am also in Tucson and once my truck is out fitted a little better I would love to follow on one of your day trips...

timh

Explorer
Great report. I am also in Tucson and once my truck is out fitted a little better I would love to follow on one of your day trips...

Don't wait, all you need is you and your truck and cooler full of goodies. We get out quite often and most of our runs are posted in the SOAZ regional forum, which I do see you are a member of. We look forward to you joining us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger