Driveline Parts Question

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Hey guys, ordering parts for my '93 from RockAuto. As you know, there are always 3-4 different ones listed. So, my questions for U-Joint and Pinion Seal:

1) Which Pinion Seal? They show for 8.5", 9.5", and 10.5" Rong Gear. I am guessing the 10.5"?

2) Which U-Joints? They have 1 3/16" and 1 1/8". I am not sure which ones to get with out having to take them off.

Anyone who has replaced these, please chime in. My axle is in my sig. Thanks!! More photos to come of all of the list stuff for next weekend!!

reds12t

Observer
Too bad I'm not still at work, I could get these ordered up for you. If you have a 14 bolt full float, you should have the 10.5" ring gear. Just to make absolutely certain, take a look near your yoke, if there are six bolts surrounding the yoke you have the 10.5".

You should have a 1350, or 1 3/16th u joint. While i dont have access to my books at the moment, the Federal Mogul e catalog is telling me you have the 1 3/16th u joint.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Too bad I'm not still at work, I could get these ordered up for you. If you have a 14 bolt full float, you should have the 10.5" ring gear. Just to make absolutely certain, take a look near your yoke, if there are six bolts surrounding the yoke you have the 10.5".

You should have a 1350, or 1 3/16th u joint. While i dont have access to my books at the moment, the Federal Mogul e catalog is telling me you have the 1 3/16th u joint.

Where is the "thanks" tab? Beer's on me! Much appreciated...

1leg

Explorer
I will admit i haven't needed to use these guys in about 5 years, but when i did they always did a good job. Drive your truck by there and they should get you the right parts. Plus your supporting a local shop and try to buy USA made parts if you can.
http://www.oceansidedriveline.com/

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I will admit i haven't needed to use these guys in about 5 years, but when i did they always did a good job. Drive your truck by there and they should get you the right parts. Plus your supporting a local shop and try to buy USA made parts if you can.
http://www.oceansidedriveline.com/

I will definitely do that. I like supporting local guys as much as possible. I started getting a little hang up when backing up or coming to a stop right when the truck gets to the last 20-30 feet. It pops, almost like the rear brakes are grabbing, but they are fairly new and it doesn't quite feel like that. The joints look old and crusty, so I figured it can't be a bad idea to replace when I do the pinion seal. I am going to put greasable ones in there, so a little bit of an upgrade.

Glad to help. Sounds like a neat suburban you have there with the 14 bolt, factory locker, and 454.

Thanks! I really like it and got a great deal on it. I have only had to do some basic TLC and cleaning up. It runs great and is easy to work on.

1leg

Explorer
I will definitely do that. I like supporting local guys as much as possible. I started getting a little hang up when backing up or coming to a stop right when the truck gets to the last 20-30 feet. It pops, almost like the rear brakes are grabbing, but they are fairly new and it doesn't quite feel like that. The joints look old and crusty, so I figured it can't be a bad idea to replace when I do the pinion seal. I am going to put greasable ones in there, so a little bit of an upgrade.

Rear drums that are grabbing can be few things. One the brakes could have been installed wrong, there is a front and back shoe. The second that i have seen is rear axel seal leak causing the shoes to swell-up. A third thing could be the shoes sticking to the back plate.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Yeah Jerry, I am hoping it isn't any of those things, but it just may be. Oh well, no complaints. I have not had any real problems with the truck other than stuff that is maintenance, so if I have to do rear brakes, so be it.

Next question, sort of driveline oriented.....front brake calipers...rebuild or replace? Opinions?

1leg

Explorer
Yeah Jerry, I am hoping it isn't any of those things, but it just may be. Oh well, no complaints. I have not had any real problems with the truck other than stuff that is maintenance, so if I have to do rear brakes, so be it.

Next question, sort of driveline oriented.....front brake calipers...rebuild or replace? Opinions?

Replace, I have never succeeded in rebuilding calipers. Plus you will find it's not that expensive and you can find them with a life time warranty. I try and buy parts like this from a local parts store like Napa or Car Quest. Example I went thru 3 steering boxes before i got one that worked, the last one i got at the Napa store in Ely Nevada all under warranty.

I really like off-road designs stainless steel brake lines, highly recommend you get them if you need new brake lines.

Revco

Adventurer
My 'burb is pretty much the same as yours...'93 K2500 4x4 454 TBI 4L80E 14FF 3.73 9.25IFS....The ring gear is 10.5", it's a 1.750" Pinion Diameter, 30-Spline Axles, and has 14 cover bolts. Yes, you have the 1350 Yoke, therefore 1-3/16" U-Joints.

If I remember right the Spicer part number was "178X" for the u-joints I just installed in my Suburban. I always use Spicer driveline parts, nothing out there is better. Do yourself a favor and get new straps and bolts for the U-joints from the dealer, or through a driveline shop. The originals are probably worn, weak, and likely to fail. They are cheap to replace.

Since you're going to do a pinion seal R&R anyway, look into doing a 1410 series yoke upgrade from High Angle Driveline. This does several things, it beefs up the yoke that dwarfs the original 1350, increases driveline angle over the 1350, and it eliminates the straps & bolts and replaces them with u-bolts, all without modifying your driveshaft or anything else on your rig. Just swap the Yoke and the Rear U-joint for the 1410 series stuff and you're done.

Just to clear things up, the 1-1/8" U-joints you were seeing listed are for the front driveshaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior