Driving slow on fast freeways?

scarysharkface

Explorer
Honestly man. just be respectful of other drivers... let us get on with our journey. Don't in fronge on others simply because you feel that you have the right too.

It seems you're the one who has no interest in doing so.

The reality is that there are slower vehicles and faster vehicles on the same roadways. We've all got to get over it, get over ourselves interact in a safe and reasonable manner.

D

Deleted member 9101

It seems you're the one who has no interest in doing so.

The reality is that there are slower vehicles and faster vehicles on the same roadways. We've all got to get over it, get over ourselves interact in a safe and reasonable manner.

All I ask is people do the speed limit... thats all. Slow moving vehicles are not only dangerous, but cause congestion. If your vehicle is capable of doing the speed limit, then please do so.. or move to a road with a slower speed limit.

dzzz

All I ask is people do the speed limit... thats all. Slow moving vehicles are not only dangerous, but cause congestion. If your vehicle is capable of doing the speed limit, then please do so.. or move to a road with a slower speed limit.

What about when your truck can't keep speed on an uphill? Do you get off the interstate and drive on local roads?

D

Deleted member 9101

What about when your truck can't keep speed on an uphill? Do you get off the interstate and drive on local roads?

An 80,000 pound vehicle going up hill is a world different than a 4,000 vehicle on flat ground.

Seriously... why am I the bad guy here? Why is doing the posted speed limit such a bad thing?

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
I've just finished a 10,000-mile tour in a 35' motorhome through the west coast and adjacent states. Mostly on minor roads but some on interstates and at speeds ranging from around 45 to 75 depending on the road - but nearly always lower than most cars and nearly all trucks.
I don't recall any one leaning on horns or gesturing or shaking their head as they went past, so I guess they were able to handle the situation. I did notice that many car drivers seemed to have little idea of safe overtaking techniques, but generally the heavy vehicle drivers drove professionally and did all the right things when overtaking. For my part, I was religious in using turnouts to allow faster vehicles past on the single-lane roads and while I didn't always stay in the right lane on multi-lane roads (because of the poor road condition due to wear and tear from trucks), I did try to stay out of the way as much as possible.
Seems to me that any supposed professional driver who blames a slower vehicle for holding him up or causing a dangerous situation really needs to go back and do a refresher course. As for the split speed limits on most roads we travelled on - didn't notice it causing a problem because the lower one for trucks and cars pulling trailers was universally ignored.

D

Deleted member 9101

For my part, I was religious in using turnouts to allow faster vehicles past on the single-lane roads and while I didn't always stay in the right lane on multi-lane roads (because of the poor road condition due to wear and tear from trucks), I did try to stay out of the way as much as possible.

thank you

DrMoab

Explorer
Seems to me that any supposed professional driver who blames a slower vehicle for holding him up or causing a dangerous situation really needs to go back and do a refresher course.

You and others who do not see how it is dangerous need to spend a week in a semi.

Every person who has ever spent time with me in a truck takes a whole new outlook on what we do and what we have to deal with. It's easy to judge when you haven't walked (or driven) in our shoes.

D

Deleted member 9101

You and others who do not see how it is dangerous need to spend a week in a semi.

Every person who has ever spent time with me in a truck takes a whole new outlook on what we do and what we have to deal with. It's easy to judge when you haven't walked (or driven) in our shoes.

When I am supreme ruler of the world, I am going to make all drivers spend a week in a rig, and a weekend doing a SSCA event!

DrMoab

Explorer
I've always said that. Part of drivers ed should be a few hours in a semi during rush hour. If kids had any clue how hard it was to avoid rear ending people when they fly up on your left, cut you off, slam on the brakes and exit the freeway, among so many other stupid things people do.

D

Deleted member 9101

I've always said that. Part of drivers ed should be a few hours in a semi during rush hour. If kids had any clue how hard it was to avoid rear ending people when they fly up on your left, cut you off, slam on the brakes and exit the freeway, among so many other stupid things people do.

Or you could just make trucks not at fault under those circumstances...lol..either way works for me. What I hats is that jack ***** who passes you, then slows down..so you pass them... then they pass you and do the same thing again.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...why is doing the posted speed limit such a bad thing?

It ain't, but this ain't no Corvette forum.

Most of us have mod'd our vehicles or are traveling near or at (or exceeding) GVWR and have horribly underpowered and under-efficient engines from the factory and in most cases are not paid at all and drive many thousands of miles more than your average joe for everything and for every year. Each speed increment costs us real money in fuel (we get not a whole lot better mileage than the long haul trucks) but yet we get no more vacation than the average joe and can't afford the time of a 4k mile roadtrip for vacation on the side roads--which consequently we would love to do but have limited time and money to so do.

DrMoab said:
If [you] kids had any clue how hard it was to avoid rear ending people when they fly up on your left, cut you off, slam on the brakes and exit the freeway, among so many other stupid things people do.

See, few if any of us on this forum would ever possibly have that ability! Driving a 6800 lbs vehicle with about 100hp max does not get you passing anyone just to be able to exit.

Edit, actually and via calculation, going 65mph at GVWR in my Troopy yields 135hp which just meets the engine rating from Toyota brand-new.

Last edited:

DrMoab

Explorer
I drive an XJ on 33 inch tires and I pull a trailer. I don't like driving faster than 65. However 65 is much much faster than 55.

Driving slow is one thing. Driving dangerously slow...especially if its only to save you a little fuel is another thing all together. Even more so when there are back roads that could either save you mileage or save your life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman