Dual Band Vecicle Mounted Radio Opinions Please

Carlyle

Explorer
To bring you up to speed my camper and truck burned in November and I ma having to replace my compete set up. I live in Colorado and travel extensively to fish and camp in many remote areas, Baja again when the drug war simmers down. I had a Yaesu 7800 with a 5' comet. I don't profess to being even good with a radio, but it seemed a pita to use. Perhaps it is my lack of Ham background, but I don't consider myself un-trainable.

I have been playing with a Icom 31A hand held a bit that I picked up last week and feel that it is too limiting with only the single 440 band and 5 watts and will send it back for a vehicle mounted dual band of some sort. I thought the Yaesu 7800 was a pita to program, but I'm hearing they all are. Any suggestions? Yaesu versus Icom? The Yaesu 7900r has all the features I would like, but is it going to treat me the same? How come none of them are mac friendly?

Suggestions please.

Expedition Leader
None of them are simple to program. Personally, I think my Kenwood radios are somewhat easier to program than my Yaesus (the menus just seem to be a little less obtuse), but others think the opposite is true so YMMV. Any brand is way easier with the programming software and a cable though. Another plus for Kenwood - the software is a free download and they usually provide the cable with the radio. Yaesu makes you pay for both.

Rockpig

I'm also new to the HAM thing and wanted a dual band radio that was easy to use. I have pretty much decided on the Yaesu FTM-350AR. It's a little pricey but everyone says it's super simple to use and navigate. All I have to do now is pull the trigger and put the order in.

brussum

Adventurer
I have a Yaesu FT-8900R and have been pretty pleased with it. I was really torn between that, the 7900, and the 350AR. There are trade-offs for each of them. I like the fact that 8900 basically two radios (and four bands) for a decent price (I bought mine used). I leave it on my local IRLP repeater while also monitoring the various SIMPLEX and repeater channels in the area. I'm also fond of the detachable head unit...it makes for a clean install if you can hide the radio body elsewhere. The radio isn't the easiest to program because of all the menus, but I think that's par for the course in moble rigs. My Yaesu 1900 and HT are a PITA as well. Luckily, I programmed the radio once and haven't had to change any settings. I suppose you could buy the PC cable and software to make frequent programming easier.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for all the input and after much thought I went back with the same radio and now have the 7900r again, simply because I didn't want to relearn a new radio over again. The detachable head unit is a plus as well as the ability to clone. Now I just need to find someone who has all the repeaters on a disk..

Thanks,

Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior