Dual Battery in a Trailer Question

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Yea RL, solar panels are great, when we have CLEAR DIRECT sunlight

Jimbo, that's a small panel for 60W? I have a lot to learn about the different panel types. Since I'm using Maggiolina, I've thought I could just mount it on top, no problem. I just wonder about the angle it will be pointed, as well the fact that I can't necessarily place it in the best place for sun exposure. But, it would be less likely to be damaged...

I don't plan to have a lot of electrical loads. Just the fridge, a small water pump, and some lighting. Probably some large area lights that would have infrequent use. I'll attempt to use the propane lantern as much as possible. I'll also have a light source inside the kid's area, for reading and such, and also need a night light. Haven't sorted that out yet. And then some reading lights and stuff for us. Maybe occaisional DVD player or something like that.

I know somewhere somebody posted a REAL measured power draw on these fridges, but can't find it.

When mine is full face to the sun, AT NOON, it'll put out almost 24 volts (12vdc pnl), but as soon as you add some angle to the presentation the voltage drops significantly, the controller will limit the voltage to the battery, to less than 14 volts, shadows make the panel WORTHLESS !!!

This is why AT has gone to the FOLDABLE panels and why I keep mine free for movement, I can maintain direct face to the sun, with no appreciable angle, all day long

If you secure you panel in ONE SPOT on your trailer, you'll lose all the benefits of the solar output !!

The establishes effeciency of the solar panels, is 80% with IDEAL EXPOSURE
ie: full face 12 noon, 60 watt panel delivers-48 watt output

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well RL, its not that simple, its the way our industry advertises

So... a 60W panel can *never* make 60W? That's a bit... odd.

A 60 watt panel with the cells arranged so that at full (unencumbered) direct sun exposure, will develop 24 volts at 2.5 amps DC output (one example)

But as soon as you add circuitry/connections/wire size and length, angle of exposure, No. of parallel/series cells, somehow they've developed an effeciency average value of---80%

There are MANY-MANY variables !!

There ain't no reason for it, it's just the way we do it !!!

:coffeedrink::bike_rider::safari-rig::safari-rig:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
So Jimbo,
When can I expect a pair of tough/lightweight 60w panels for about $300? That should cover me and fit someplace in the packing manifest...

:victory:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Wow, HD, they say the price keeps going down, like all electronic stuff (tv, computers-etc), but

It doesn't seem like it's happening very fast, mine was $499 bucks over 2 years ago

I think the only place that the price is dropping is, commericial and home power systems, like a 5000 watt system 5 years ago was 8/10 thousand bucks and now can be bought for 2/3 thousand bucks

Like most of our supply and demand the prices are governed by the QUANTITY sold and there just aren't that many of us, semi-roughit campers

I'm going to Nevada this morning so I'll be outta the loop till monday

Cheers

:coffeedrink::smiley_drive::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Honu

lost on the mainland
I remember some site from OZ that a guy did on his build
and he had this setup to hold the panel and keep it turning to the sun :)
I know they call them trackers ? but most are for house size stuff this was tiny :)was very cool and foldable to a very small package

I have dual batteries Concorde AGM 104 amp hour
with fridge and some lights etc... I can get a few days 2-4 depending ?
but I also dont want to keep the batteries going up and down to much

I also have a honda generator as it can work in rain and shade just as good as in the sun :)
the next thing will be solar to keep the batteries up when I can use it but in the deep woods not sure I would want solar as my only option :)

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I got an offer from Northertool.com and ordered it from them, sometime in 07, it came with the controller for $499.99 bucks

Where did you get your solar panel, Jimbo?

They're having a 15% sale now on the internet, checkout northerntool.com and look under (Solar panels), or Alternative Energy, this unit is item No. #339619-2906, but there are a lot of other choices, like an 80 watt for $549, or less if you get that 15% discount !!

Good luck

:wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Anybody have a good idea how much punishment one of these golf cart batteries can take? Will it stand up to use in an off-road trailer, or would something AGM work better?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
We use them here in the golf carts at the college....and the kids use these carts like there in a demolition derby.....I can't possibly imagine you putting yours through half of what they could withstand, off-road or not ....:Wow1:

You never golfed with 10 beers in ya?...lol:)

Drivin' those buggies like go-carts man :smiley_drive:

ShortBusGeek

Adventurer
Fry's here has a 15 watt for $129 and a 22.5 watt for $199. I've been considering picking up one of those. It seems like I remember seeing the 60 watts for $399 to $499 up there, but don't remember for sure.

David

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Don't waste your time WAITING for the price to go down on any panels from 60 to 120 watts, there's just not enough traffic, for small panels !!!

My 60 watt crystalline was $499 bucks almost three years ago and they ain't dropping !!

:coffeedrink::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998