Dual Battery Setup Help

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Check out my posts on this thread

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53086

for a completely different way to wire up starting and house batteries.

The "All In One" (AIO) setup is interesting, and does have some advantages - certainly for an OTR truck - but it also has a major disadvantage that I don't like at all - the Low-Voltage Disconnect (LVD).

With the AIO you MUST save enough power to start the engine; so when voltage gets down to a certain point, you have to disconnect the loads. Period. Hence the requirement that an AIO setup have an LVD.

From years of tramping around in the boonies in trucks, I know that it is a given that I WILL abuse my aux battery. Conventional wisdom on deep cycle batteries is that they should be discharged to no less than 50% for long life. That's fine if you have a handy way to recharge them, such as solar or a generator. I do have a generator, but if the battery starts getting low late at night, I'm not going to get up, go out, setup the generator (mine is a portable with an armstrong starter) and fire it up - it will have to wait till the morning.

But I still want lights (even if they are a bit dim). I want to be able to run the water pump (even if it is a bit slow) and brush my teeth and make coffee BEFORE I venture out into the cold cruel world and do the whole generator thing. With the AIO setup, the LVD would activate, and I'd be sitting with no power in the camper until I brought the battery bank voltage back up.

Oh sure, I could start the engine. But is that really what I want to do? Fire up a cold truck engine just so I can turn on the lights and run the water pump?

No, screw that.

By keeping the engine start battery isolated from the aux battery, then I can go ahead and run the lights or water pump or recharge my phone or whatever, and just let the aux battery run down as low as *I choose* - and then deal with recharging later when it's more convenient. With the AIO setup, I don't have that option. Period. It's all or nothing and that just won't work for me.

So sure, for some situations the AIO makes sense, but for the way I camp and use my rig, it's NOT a good solution. It simply won't work for me, to have ALL aux power entirely cut off.

Another selling point of the AIO is that by using deep cycle AGM batteries all tied into one bank, they can be recharged much more rapidly. Well, that's true IF you have the alternator capacity AND you have a smart voltage regulator. Having a huge alternator (or two) is of limited use with a standard voltage regulator, since once the battery gets up to a certain voltage the voltage regulator will back off the charging. With a big AGM bank you don't want that - you want the charging to continue at a high level so the battery bank will absorb more and faster...hence the need for a smart voltage regulator slash charge controller. Like this:

http://sterling-power-usa.com/proregd12volt24voltadvancedalternatorregulator.aspx

So I could spend the money to convert to a proper AIO setup, and then what? I'd still be sitting in the dark if I ran it down to LVD level in the middle of the night.

AIO is a good and viable option for SOME situations, but I personally won't be doing it on a camping rig - or recommending it.

Better to have an isolated engine battery. A big AGM bank can still be had for the aux loads, admittedly with a bit lower total capacity - but I'll gladly give up the amp*hours of aux bank capacity in favor of the insurance and redundancy of an isolated engine battery. And the option to run the aux completely dead if I should choose to.

EDIT: Also, it is NOT TRUE that "AGMs can take huge charging amperage". SOME can, such as the Concordes, but certainly NOT ALL. Each manufacturer has their own ratings and they are NOT ALL THE SAME.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
for a main battery, i will use a Sears DieHard Platinum, the P6 which is recommended for my Pathfinder. i'm not sure what i want to run for the auxiliary battery; maybe an Odyssey or Exide Orbital? i don't want an Optima.

since i'll be running the batteries as a true auxiliary, maybe i'll use the DieHard Platinum as the main, and my current Everlast Gold (Wal-Mart) for the auxiliary.

You should use a proper deep cycle battery for your aux battery - they have thick lead plates for longer endurance at lower amperage. You can get by with an engine start battery which has thin plates to dump energy fast for a short period, but it won't last nearly as long. You could also use an rv/marine/trolling type, which has medium thickness plates and is a compromise that gives a bit of both.

You can generally tell what you are dealing with by looking at how they rate the battery - deep cycle batteries are rated in amp*hours, while starting batteries (and most rv/marine) are rated in cranking amps. Deep cycle batteries also have cranking amps, but not as much as a thin plate starting battery. Starting batteries also have amp*hours, but not as much as a thick plate true deep cycle.

In any case, since you will be using a single alternator/voltage regulator for both, what is important is to make sure that both batteries have the same voltage set points.

Flooded lead-acid (liquid sloshes around inside) and AGM both generally take the same voltage set points, but GEL batteries have different voltage set points. This is why most smart battery chargers have a setting specifically for GEL.

So don't mix up two types of batteries that need different voltages if you are using a single source to charge them both.

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
The "All In One" (AIO) setup is interesting, and does have some advantages - certainly for an OTR truck - but it also has a major disadvantage that I don't like at all - the Low-Voltage Disconnect (LVD).

With the AIO you MUST save enough power to start the engine; so when voltage gets down to a certain point, you have to disconnect the loads. Period. Hence the requirement that an AIO setup have an LVD.

From years of tramping around in the boonies in trucks, I know that it is a given that I WILL abuse my aux battery. Conventional wisdom on deep cycle batteries is that they should be discharged to no less than 50% for long life. That's fine if you have a handy way to recharge them, such as solar or a generator. I do have a generator, but if the battery starts getting low late at night, I'm not going to get up, go out, setup the generator (mine is a portable with an armstrong starter) and fire it up - it will have to wait till the morning.

But I still want lights (even if they are a bit dim). I want to be able to run the water pump (even if it is a bit slow) and brush my teeth and make coffee BEFORE I venture out into the cold cruel world and do the whole generator thing. With the AIO setup, the LVD would activate, and I'd be sitting with no power in the camper until I brought the battery bank voltage back up.

Oh sure, I could start the engine. But is that really what I want to do? Fire up a cold truck engine just so I can turn on the lights and run the water pump?

No, screw that.

By keeping the engine start battery isolated from the aux battery, then I can go ahead and run the lights or water pump or recharge my phone or whatever, and just let the aux battery run down as low as *I choose* - and then deal with recharging later when it's more convenient. With the AIO setup, I don't have that option. Period. It's all or nothing and that just won't work for me.

So sure, for some situations the AIO makes sense, but for the way I camp and use my rig, it's NOT a good solution. It simply won't work for me, to have ALL aux power entirely cut off.

Another selling point of the AIO is that by using deep cycle AGM batteries all tied into one bank, they can be recharged much more rapidly. Well, that's true IF you have the alternator capacity AND you have a smart voltage regulator. Having a huge alternator (or two) is of limited use with a standard voltage regulator, since once the battery gets up to a certain voltage the voltage regulator will back off the charging. With a big AGM bank you don't want that - you want the charging to continue at a high level so the battery bank will absorb more and faster...hence the need for a smart voltage regulator slash charge controller. Like this:

http://sterling-power-usa.com/proregd12volt24voltadvancedalternatorregulator.aspx

So I could spend the money to convert to a proper AIO setup, and then what? I'd still be sitting in the dark if I ran it down to LVD level in the middle of the night.

AIO is a good and viable option for SOME situations, but I personally won't be doing it on a camping rig - or recommending it.

Better to have an isolated engine battery. A big AGM bank can still be had for the aux loads, admittedly with a bit lower total capacity - but I'll gladly give up the amp*hours of aux bank capacity in favor of the insurance and redundancy of an isolated engine battery. And the option to run the aux completely dead if I should choose to.

EDIT: Also, it is NOT TRUE that "AGMs can take huge charging amperage". SOME can, such as the Concordes, but certainly NOT ALL. Each manufacturer has their own ratings and they are NOT ALL THE SAME.

Thanks... Like the term AIO so I'll start using it.

For starts, lets assume we're talking about small rigs that only have room for 2 batteries, a starting battery and a house battery. And it's an expedition type rig that is used a lot on rough back-roads and trails. It's also set up for over night camping. And of course there is no right or wrong way to configure batteries for the above example.

The ideal starting battery for the above Rig would be an AGM, because they can withstand pounding better than wet thick plate deep cycle or thin plate starting batteries.

Depleted batteries are best charged when they are of the same size and type and at the same State of Charge (SOC). So the best choice for the house battery would be the same size AGM as the starting battery.

So for recharging purposes having two AGMs in an AIO bank would be the best set-up, because they would 'always' be at the same. SOC.

Taking into account Peukert's Law; "As the rate increases, the battery's available capacity decreases"
So a larger battery or a multi battery bank used as AIO, will increase the 'available' amp hours at higher rate of discharge, when compared, to small batteries used individually, that have the same total amp hours as the larger battery or AIO batteries.
Boy that was mouthful, a real world example is a MagLite Flashlight. A Flashlight with 3 D sized batteries, lasts a lot more than 1/3 times longer than Flashlight with 2 D size batteries.

Without serious number crunching, comparing a larger battery to smaller batteries used individually, that have the same total amp hours as the large battery, it's impossible to pin a real world 'available' amp hour number for the Peukert Effect, but I'll arbitrarily use a 1/4 factor. Discount it in the calculations below as factor, if don't like it. (smiley face crap)

A typical sized small Rig AGM starting battery would be about 75 amp hours and the same size house battery would be another 75 amp hours for a total of 150 amp hours if they were combined as an AIO. To protect the batteries from damage, divide the 150 amp hours in half to 75 amp hours. Factor in a SOC rate of 90% to 67 amp hours. Add in a 1/4 AIO benefit for the Peukert Effect of 16 amp hours. For a total AIO of 'available' amp hours of 83 for house use.

Compare the same two AIG batteries in traditional split start and house configuration. Start with a single 75 amp hour AGM for house use. Divide in half for damage protection for 38 amp hours. No Peukert Benefit. Factor 90% SOC and we'd have 34 amp hours for house use.

Another interesting Peukert effect side note, with using the Battery Brain for the LVD and AIO set-up. The Battery Brain Heavy Duty has a remote light that shines brighter as the time to disconnect becomes closer. Turn off some items that draw amps and the light will dim or go out, to indicate the time to disconnect has increased. In effect the light is a Peukert Effect monitor.

All in all a BB-LVD/AIO/AGM set-up is just one of many set-ups.

For years I used; 2 Walmart Deep Cycles that are switched between starting and house functions or combined both, with a simple blade switch on each battery.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Depleted batteries are best charged when they are of the same size and type and at the same State of Charge (SOC). So the best choice for the house battery would be the same size AGM as the starting battery.

So for recharging purposes having two AGMs in an AIO bank would be the best set-up, because they would 'always' be at the same. SOC.

Well, um...not really. Or perhaps I should say, "not always".

That definition of what is "best" applies to batteries that are rigged as a battery bank.

In a bank configuration, it is best to have them all the same age, type and SoC. It is also VERY important that they be wired in a "balanced resistance" fashion, as per this:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

The reason for this is simply that any difference in the rigging will cause one "battery+wire" to have lower resistance than the others, and thus do more work - that battery will discharge a bit more, and recharge a bit more and wear out sooner. If that happens in a battery bank, then you've got additional problems because if you replace that one battery, it will have a lower resistance than the older batteries, and since the rigging is unbalanced to begin with, it will do even more work than the original did - and wear out even quicker.

Now, here's the punchline. If you do an AIO lash-up where one battery is under the hood, and the second is down on the frame, or where two are under the hood and 4 are down on the frame, or one up front and one in the back, or 3 in the back - WHATEVER configuration - if you have not rigged the wiring in a fashion to provide a balanced resistance for all batteries...then one of the batteries will have a lower resistance and do more work.

In which case - the very reason for making the batteries "all the same" has already been defeated.

I.e., if you have 8' of wire running down to the batteries on the frame, then you better have 8' of wire running to that battery under the hood as well. If you don't, then "all the same" is irrelevant since electrically, they are not all the same - the resistances are different and one of the batteries is going to end up doing the most work.

An AIO is rigged in a bank configuration, so the wiring had better be rigged properly for balanced resistance or it is going to have the same problems as any improperly rigged battery bank.

But a split-charge isolation setup is NOT rigged as a bank.

Now, say you are charging one thin plate starting battery, and one thick plate deep cycle (AGM or FLA or even a mix of both - doesn't matter) with a split charge solenoid, an alternator and a normal automotive voltage regulator. The deep cycle is 50% depleted, the starting battery only 5% depleted.

You supply a charging current at some voltage - say 14.4v. Eventually, both batteries will reach the same voltage, and the charging system will bring them both up to 14.4v and then back off.

It doesn't matter if they are the same. One can be larger, one can be older, one can have a lower SoC, one FLA and one AGM, one can be a FLA starting battery and the other a bloody great bank of AGM deep cycles...doesn't matter - the charging works the same way regardless; Get the voltage to 14.4v and back off.

What is important when charging by voltage is that both batteries require the same voltage set points. FLA and AGM both generally require the same, but GEL no. So if you hook up a GEL that is rated fully charged at 14.1v, then keep pumping it up to 14.4v, it's not going to last.

(OFF-TOPIC: A lot of people buy GEL thinking "ooh, it's better", but don't check the voltage specs of that battery and their charging system, and then wonder ******? when it doesn't last after they keep overcharging it...and then they run around saying, "GELs suck. I had one and it didn't last at all." GELs are actually awesome - IF you charge them according to the instructions. They do generally have different voltage set points. This is why most smart chargers have one setting for "FLA and AGM" and another setting for "GEL".)

Taking into account Peukert's Law; "As the rate increases, the battery's available capacity decreases"....

...For a total AIO of 'available' amp hours of 83 for house use....

...Factor 90% SOC and we'd have 34 amp hours for house use...

Yes, of course all completely true.

I will note that your calcs assume LVD at 50% SoC. Is that where the LVD actually does trip? Or does it actually trip at some voltage higher than 50% SoC? If it trips at 60% SoC that'll make a pretty big difference in your math.

Another thing to note is, again, that 50% assumption. I regularly discharge my aux battery below 50%. I suspect that many do. Thus when comparing available amp*hours, one needs to plug in REAL WORLD figures into the formulae.

Yes, 50% is conventional wisdom for longer battery life. Yes, it would be great if we could do that. If I had an automated system to keep the batteries above 50%, such as solar or generator auto-start then I'd buy really good batteries and do what I could to extend their life as long as possible.

But I don't. I beat my aux battery up. I take it down far below 50% - often. I thrash it and then I replace it every couple of years. I don't buy the best that money can buy, because I know going in that I'm going to ride it hard and put it away wet. (I do buy high quality engine start batteries though - that's mission critical and there is no way I'm going to intentionally abuse it.)

So the ACTUAL amp*hours that I get out of my aux battery is higher than what your calculations show because I discharge more deeply than your assumptions. So yes, the AIO would get me a few more amp*hours, but not as great a difference as indicated by your math.

And as I've already said, I'll GLADLY give up those extra amp*hours in favor of the insurance and redundancy of an isolated starting battery and the option to drag my aux battery down as low as I want.

Another thing your calcs don't take into account is the Peukert effect of how I draw down my battery. If all I use is an 8w light and occasionally run the water pump (my normal usage profile), then my aux battery is going to provide more usable amp*hours than the simple formula indicates.

All in all a BB-LVD/AIO/AGM set-up is just one of many set-ups.

Aye. And it's a great setup for running a small a/c in the sleeper of an OTR rig so the driver can get some sack time.

For a weekender or on a trip with a lot of driving it should be fine, but in my opinion, it's not a great setup for long-term camping or being far from civilization. I often spend a week or more at a site if I like it, so I end up using my generator to recharge - but I don't fire it up daily, only when I need it. I don't religiously monitor the aux battery...I don't have to. I run it till the lights get a bit dim then the next day I recharge it with the generator. As I said, with the AIO that option does not exist - once the LVD trips you either recharge or you sit in the dark until you do.

I don't see how AIO would have been a better setup for Frederik and Josephine in the Congo. That's where the real world trumps the theory.

Another drawback that hasn't been mentioned about the AIO setup, is that because it's rigged as a single battery bank, if one battery goes bad (and without properly balanced wiring...that *will* eventually happen, and could happen even with balanced wiring), you have to replace them all or you run into the "one new battery in the bank" problem I described above. With an isolation setup, one can beat the crap out of the aux battery and replace it as needed without having to also replace the engine battery at the same time.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Well, um...not really. Or perhaps I should say, "not always".

That definition of what is "best" applies to batteries that are rigged as a battery bank.

In a bank configuration, it is best to have them all the same age, type and SoC. It is also VERY important that they be wired in a "balanced resistance" fashion, as per this:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

The reason for this is simply that any difference in the rigging will cause one "battery+wire" to have lower resistance than the others, and thus do more work - that battery will discharge a bit more, and recharge a bit more and wear out sooner. If that happens in a battery bank, then you've got additional problems because if you replace that one battery, it will have a lower resistance than the older batteries, and since the rigging is unbalanced to begin with, it will do even more work than the original did - and wear out even quicker.

Yep... I knew you'd call me on the balanced wiring problems (smiley face crap)

The smart-gauge site is a great resource, I especially like the explanation of the uselessness of amp counters.

For heavy house use (Rigs/Boats/RVs etc) balance wiring is more important, but for small rigs with occasional 'house' needs, it less of a factor. During the many hours a small Rig is driven around and/or left sitting the batteries will balance themselves out. Also 'vastly' increasing the wire gauge size from a remotely located battery will help mitigate balancing problems.

***Important info alert for newbies***
Using small gauge wires to alternator charge remotely located house batteries, will result in a dead house batteries.

FWIW: my small 2009 Diesel Ford E350 Cutaway has 3 AGM OEM sized batteries, all on the same frame rail. I took great effort to 'balance' the wiring using different wire gauges and Blue Sea battery Bus Bars.

189.png

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Aye. And it's a great setup for running a small a/c in the sleeper of an OTR rig so the driver can get some sack time.

For a weekender or on a trip with a lot of driving it should be fine, but in my opinion, it's not a great setup for long-term camping or being far from civilization. I often spend a week or more at a site if I like it, so I end up using my generator to recharge - but I don't fire it up daily, only when I need it. I don't religiously monitor the aux battery...I don't have to. I run it till the lights get a bit dim then the next day I recharge it with the generator. As I said, with the AIO that option does not exist - once the LVD trips you either recharge or you sit in the dark until you do.

I don't see how AIO would have been a better setup for Frederik and Josephine in the Congo. That's where the real world trumps the theory.

Another drawback that hasn't been mentioned about the AIO setup, is that because it's rigged as a single battery bank, if one battery goes bad (and without properly balanced wiring...that *will* eventually happen, and could happen even with balanced wiring), you have to replace them all or you run into the "one new battery in the bank" problem I described above. With an isolation setup, one can beat the crap out of the aux battery and replace it as needed without having to also replace the engine battery at the same time.

Thanks again....Excellent discussion and summary of the limitations of AIO!

AIO/AGM/LVD for 'occasional' house use Rigs, with the need for limited OEM sized batteries and lots of drive time between a few days camping... can be the 'ideal' set-up.

Plus factor in, its also a system that automatically protects expensive AGM batteries from damage and provides the most amps for house use.

.....So many of us vacation time only Expedition dreamers with small Rigs, it's is the 'best' choice. (winky smiley face crap)

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I will note that your calcs assume LVD at 50% SoC. Is that where the LVD actually does trip? Or does it actually trip at some voltage higher than 50% SoC? If it trips at 60% SoC that'll make a pretty big difference in your math.

When the batteries voltage is about 12.10 with a high load, the low voltage disconnect light/button starts to flicker, as a warning that the batteries can still provide a lot of useful current, by reducing the load, before the automatic low voltage disconnect at 12.01 volts.

The reconnect button can then be pushed to reconnect the batteries for even more 'lower' load use. Not sure of the final very-low load voltage disconnect, because of 'resting' the batteries for accurate voltage reading issues. It'd guessta'mate the resting voltage reading would close to 12 volts.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Wow. You know your ****. Wanna come do my setup for me? ;)

What? Who? Me?

A) Go to Florida? I'm old, but not THAT old.

B) Anything can be had for a price.

C) I've found that "auto electric" shops usually do a pretty nice job. Especially the ones that are capable of rebuilding alternators and starters in-house; if they can do that, then they are serious and the craftsmanship is probably more important than the "bling". Shops that specialize in boomboom sound systems are often more about the bling. EDIT: Also, I've seen a few guys with "mobile shops" who hang around truck stops and do radio and running light installs - every one I've seen does really nice work.

TIP: You can get really good cables custom made at a damned good price at many welding supply shops.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

Yea, I've read those threads before. I *really* like your truck. I'll be watching to see how that Lifan holds up since I've thought about doing the same thing. Well, not exactly the same - I have a box on the back I could mount it in so I wouldn't have to saw off the handle. :D

Don't recall if you put an hour meter on it? If not, I found these when looking for one to put on my Honeywell:

http://enmco.thomasnet.com/item/enm...-tachometer/pt16?&bc=100|1001|3001163|3001175

Great price and has a longer battery life rating than most. I've bought two so far. Recommended.

EDIT: Fixed wrong link. Hrmm. Price went up. I paid 18+shipping for mine. Going for 30 now...

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Yea, I've read those threads before. I *really* like your truck. I'll be watching to see how that Lifan holds up since I've thought about doing the same thing. Well, not exactly the same - I have a box on the back I could mount it in so I wouldn't have to saw off the handle. :D

Don't recall if you put an hour meter on it? If not, I found these when looking for one to put on my Honeywell:

http://enmco.thomasnet.com/item/enm...-tachometer/pt16?&bc=100|1001|3001163|3001175

Great price and has a longer battery life rating than most. I've bought two so far. Recommended.

EDIT: Fixed wrong link. Hrmm. Price went up. I paid 18+shipping for mine. Going for 30 now...

Thanks... and thanks for the hour meter link.

We'll see about how the Lifan Generator holds up over time.

It really isn't needed for my Rig, since it's set-up for alternator charging.

I did it as a hobby, because its the first 'cheap' small electric start, inverter generator on market. And since it's installed now, also installed a point-of-use 4 gallon electric water heater. I went around and around between different ways to heat water (engine heat exchangers, Isotherm coolant tank heater) before going with a generator to power an electric water heater.

The dual Ford alternators through the inverter could power the 120 volts/1500 watt water heater, but I'm afraid of putting that kind of load on the alternators, for 15 to 20 minutes and risk burning them out??? (scratching head smiley face crap)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The dual Ford alternators through the inverter could power the 120 volts/1500 watt water heater, but I'm afraid of putting that kind of load on the alternators, for 15 to 20 minutes and risk burning them out??? (scratching head smiley face crap)

Non-issue I think. 1500w / 12v = 125a.

As I recall, you setup a couple hundred amps worth of alternators to provide a high amperage recharge on the AGMs. A setup like that should handle a piddling 125a without issues.

But since you have the Lifan, it's gotta be more efficient that running the truck engine.

It's not really the first small electric start inverter generator though - those Chinese factories have been turning them out under various names for years now. Magna is one brand name I recall.

My Honeywell is made by Yongkang Xingguang, who makes a LOT of the Chinese inverter generators:

http://zjxypower.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008826296207/Showroom/3000000149681/ALL/5.htm

If you look at this one you can see it's the same case as the Honeywell, but with electric start. My Honeywell actually has the access hatch and compartment for a battery, but since the engine isn't electric start, there's nothing in that compartment:

http://zjxypower.manufacturer.globa...7540041/action-GetProduct.htm?additional=true

Here's a sexy blue one branded FME. The bottom pic shows the battery compartment:

http://www.kipor.org/detailsbenzin.php?action=xgsf2000e

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
In any case, since you will be using a single alternator/voltage regulator for both, what is important is to make sure that both batteries have the same voltage set points.

Flooded lead-acid (liquid sloshes around inside) and AGM both generally take the same voltage set points, but GEL batteries have different voltage set points. This is why most smart battery chargers have a setting specifically for GEL.

So don't mix up two types of batteries that need different voltages if you are using a single source to charge them both.

Thanks for the tips. I've been considering a pair of Odyssey PC1200s, if I can fit them in the factory location. Otherwise, it would probably be a combo of a DieHard Platinum P2 for the main, and a DieHard Platinum PM2 (marine) for the auxiliary.

Both the Odyssey and DieHard Platinum are AGM batteries, so I should be OK, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears