Dually front spacer?? Help!!

cjken

Explorer
Any idea what lies behind this spacer??
I want to remove it to run regular front rims, but wonder about the hub. It seems like the locking hub will be sticking way out.
Anyone know what my options are?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374961149.678666.jpg
Ken

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks like a 99-04 F350 front axle to me, is that correct? I don't see any nuts holding the DRW adapter on, what vehicle is this?

Normally on the 99-04 DRW Dana 60 you just unbolt the DRW adapter and then a regular wheel can be bolted up. The unit bearings need to be swapped to the SRW application since the DRW application has shorter studs.

Need more vehicle info to give good advice though....

Betarocker

Adventurer
What an ***-hat design. Looks like the entire hub needs to be removed to change the rotor. Appears to be an OBS vintage.

I'm no expert, but it looks like the stub axle shafts would need to be shortened, along with a new hub assembly needed to convert to the SRW style.

BigDogKona

Hey guys... It's the front axle. Pretty sure removing the studs from the rotor and pressing in new lug studs will get you what you want.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Have a look at the center of the hub. If there is not a gap between the casing for the axle/freewheeling hub then you would need to change hubs. If there is a gap then you can possibly pull the hub, remove the disk and spacer and press in a set of new studs.

But as a previous poster said. Vehicles identification would help a lot.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks guys. It's a mid 90s qu***ey E-350.
(Sorry Chris) some day maybe I will de-quiglify it, but for now I have to make it work. I can just run the dual set-up, but would like to go wider on the front tires and the rim is only like 6 " wide.
I do think I will have to swap the front hub for the srw one. I just want to see if anyone has done it so that I can source the right parts. I found sim info on similar swaps. Not sure how standard the parts are.
Thanks
Ken

Jakey

That axle is a 95-97 F350 Dana 60.
You can source the SRW wheel hubs from any TTB Dana 50 or 1978-1997 Ford Dana 60, Sometime around 1982 Ford added the hub centric ridge.
The rotors are different between SRW and DRW, SRW have bigger holes for the lug studs, although sometimes people install SRW rotors on DRW wheel hubs.
You must keep the 95-97 F350 rotors as earlier rotors are smaller dia.
Changing over to SRW hubs is the same as doing wheel bearing and rotor replacement.
The SRW hubs come up on eBay, and the DRW wheel hubs are worth reselling too, a little extra $$$ if they have rotors.

It's only a pia to work on if you're inflexible to the adventure of a new[to you] mechanical experience.

One thing on your side as far as cost goes, at least it is a Ford Axle, if it was the later Quigley axle with GM outers, SRW hubs are few and a fortune for new.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Chev not Ford

OK I disagree, I think that is an early chev kingpin axle (looks like a D60) but send Quigley an email with the ID number (either VIN or their number) and they will tell you exactly what it is (or was when it left their facility).

Then have a look at this thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77696-New-shoes-for-a-fat-pig-%28DRW-to-SRW%29

Chris can supply the Dynatrac hubs at what I believe is a very reasonable price. If it is a chev axle I think I have the part numbers for the bearings and seals stored somewhere.

Are you swapping to single from duals. If so I would probably suggest throwing the bigger wheels with whatever offset they have and be prepared to check/change the wheel bearings more often. Or just run ex military wheels.

Also check the stud sizes, mine had bigger studs at the front which prevented me from just throwing normal 8 x 6.5 wheels on.

This is the bud hub from mine.

attachment.php

Last edited:

jluck

Adventurer
OK I disagree, I think that is an early chev kingpin axle (looks like a D60).

attachment.php

NOT A KINGPIN AXLE. You can clearly see upper ball joint in OP's picture. Ford and Chevy axels are pretty easy to tell apart. Chevy differential is on passenger side on solid axle rigs and Ford is driver side diff.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep I see that now. It is not a kingpin.

But I have to disagree when it comes to the Quigley conversions and Chev not being drivers side drop. Mine is definitely a Chev axle and it is a drivers side drop with a heap of extra fabrication to it.

Here is a bad iPhone in the dark photo.

IMG_1455-L.jpg

jluck

Adventurer
Yep I see that now. It is not a kingpin.

But I have to disagree when it comes to the Quigley conversions and Chev not being drivers side drop. Mine is definitely a Chev axle and it is a drivers side drop with a heap of extra fabrication to it.

Here is a bad iPhone in the dark photo.

View attachment 175376
Chevrolet never made a driver side differential solid axle plain and simple. You got bad info from someone. I do see yours is a king pin axle though. Most likely mid 80's to early 90's ford. I have owned and built many Dana 60's.
If I can find my BOM manuals for dana axle corp I will dig it out.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have no issue with Chev not having a production drivers side drop. But I stand by my statement that my Quigley has a Chev axle with drivers side drop. Having been through the exercise of replacing hubs, seals, bearings, rotors and pads I can guarantee that I have to specify 1986 K30 to get the correct bits. Also I had a kingpin ford D60 sitting beside the Quigley while I was doing the work. Nothing would swap over.

It is very hard to see in the photo I posted but Quigley do extensive fab work on the axle housing. Have they flipped/replaced the axle tubes ? I don't know! But it is a D60 with Chev outers. Which goes back to my original reply. Ask Quigley what they put in his van and it can be something other than Ford.

7y7u6y9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

adventr

Adventurer
In regards to the Quigley front end:

That's actually a custom-built front end. You'll notice that your center section (differential housing) doesn't have the cast-in leaf spring pad. That's because it's a Dana 60 center section that was made for upfitters. It's also a low pinion, just like what was used on a Chevy.
Another interesting bit, is that you may notice that your center section has extra webbing cast into it, when compared to a standard Dana 60 (at least mine does: '02 Quigley). This extra webbing makes the center section look very similar to the Dana 70 front axle.
As for everything from the Axle "C"s out, it's all Chevy Dana 60.

cjken

Explorer
Thank you everyone.
My front end looks exactly like Ozrockrat's. I will reach out to quigley to confirm. But my plan is to do exactly what he did to eliminate the dually spacer.
Ozrockrat thanks for blazing the trail for me!!
I will start sourcing parts soon. Plan on doing the hub conversion late August early September.

Ken

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
In regards to the Quigley front end:

That's actually a custom-built front end. You'll notice that your center section (differential housing) doesn't have the cast-in leaf spring pad. That's because it's a Dana 60 center section that was made for upfitters. It's also a low pinion, just like what was used on a Chevy.
Another interesting bit, is that you may notice that your center section has extra webbing cast into it, when compared to a standard Dana 60 (at least mine does: '02 Quigley). This extra webbing makes the center section look very similar to the Dana 70 front axle.
As for everything from the Axle "C"s out, it's all Chevy Dana 60.

Exactly. Can be a bit confusing with the wording. There are a ton of these axles out there, mainly from the Q vans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78