Dually to SRW ...whatcha think

iggi

Ian
Bit of an update for the debate. While i've driven through through several snow storms this year and bunch of really icy roads with good results, this past weekend while looking for a campsite I got annoyingly stuck. Just a little side road. There'd been traffic so the snow was packed down a bit (no problem at all for my friend's little AWD car) but the dually sank all of about 4 inches in and refused to move. I honestly thought maybe I'd blown a transmission as I couldn't believe I was stuck in such a pathetic little hole in the snow. The limited slip was of no help as one wheel just span. And as other's have described there seemed to be not enough pressure on the tires to get traction.

I'm sure the well worn blizzaks were also a factor as the tread is not aggressive at all.

Fortunately I had a set of tire chains with me and getting out with them on was no problem.
But I can see if snow covered back country roads or ski parking lots were a regular occurrence for me then a locking diff and single tires would likely be a necessary upgrade.

iggi

Ian
Seems that life is out to prove my previous thoughts on the effectiveness of duallies in winter wrong.
Got stuck again today. Just in my back alley this time.
Spring is hitting so there was a deep water grove in the ice. Once my rear wheels dropped into that there seemed to be no getting out.
Even with chains on the outer tires.
Had to get a buddy to give me a bump with a tow strap.

I suppose a full set of dually chains would have been better but sure would have been a pain in the butt to get on.IMG_1623.JPGIMG_1624.JPG

I've been over 12 years with a 4x4 as my daily driver so this getting stuck stuff sucks.

Abitibi

Explorer
I guess next time you'll reverse in ;)

I'm surprised chains didn't take care of it! This type or situation sucks, reminds me when I was a kid and seeing my dad flipping out for getting stuck on wet grass in his 2wd truck, lol.

Nice blue sky though! Enjoy!
David

Saenzm

Ok, let's talk cost. Is it a wash to switch to SRW? Buy the adapter, save on tires but comes out to a wash?

sourdoughben

My 11,200 lb. RV has a Ram 3500 4x4 chassis. It was a dually. Rear axle wheels where a direct bolt on swap from dual to single. Method 305 NV/HD wheels with 4500 lb.load rating with Nitto Ridge Grappler 305x65r18 F rated 4,000 lbs. tires. Front axle required a hub change, $1500 for parts, so front wheel/tire didn't stick out past fender flare and had same track width as rear wheels. I would recommend keeping DRW for a 2WD RV all day long and limit travel to highways or dry surfaces. Ambulance conversions have to much overhanging body behind the rear tires for off roading anyway. A 1 ton 4x4 truck and slide-in camper is cost effective and can get you into some nice back country boondocking too.
tiger dually 2.jpeg
after
tiger SRW.jpeg

Lwing

What are you driving? How loaded is it?
Fair point on the rocks. If I spent less time on pavement then changing would likely be a priority.
Current van still in build, but in every dually I've ever owned, loaded or not, didn't like the dually in situations of snow or gravel, for me highway was the only place duallies were beneficial, and not enough to warrant them when I'm looking for the gravel roads,,

FDM2012

Adventurer
No regrets on my SRW conversion..

Does great here in the Florida sand.

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_1721106.jpg
    IMG_20190921_1721106.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member