Duluth Fire Hose Pants Testimonials??

crusader

Adventurer
Anyone have any long-ish term experience with these Duluth Trading Company Fire Hose Work Pants? I know they wouldn't be great for hiking, but it seems like they'd be perfect for the heavy-duty high-abrasion sort of activity that usually takes place off-road. Great price too, if they are all that they seem to be!

I saw the other post mentioning these pants, but it didn't have too much detail about what folks thought of these and no real long-term use opinions.

EDIT: This part is great (providing the comapny hangs around): "We Dare You to Wear 'Em Out" Guarantee
If your Duluth Trading Fire Hose Work Pants ever let you down, fray, tear, rip or give out, send them back to us. No questions asked, we'll send you a brand spankin' new pair, and the shipping's on us.

Thanks!

--Mark

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have a pair, but lately I've been wearing the fleece lined pair more than the std pair. Too soon to give much of a report, I've only worn them enough to wash them 3-4 times, mostly on cold days taking the engine donor car apart. They don't seem to hold onto grease stains. So far so good.

MossMan

Adventurer
I can't say first hand but my brother, who is a carpenter, has some and he says he loves them. I've never seen somebody go through boots and work clothes like he does either and so far he says they're holding up.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I've had a pair for about a year now. They do just as well if not better than my carhartts for most things, however they are definitely lacking in pockets... If they had the small narrow side pockets (like carhartts) I think they'd be as close to perfect as I've found. The gussetted crotch is really nice, and they seem to be constructed very well.

Cheers,
West

crusader

Adventurer
Thanks for the input--Sounds like they're pretty rugged and a good deal, and come in at least 3 different versions (the 5 pocket with it's minimal pockets, the work pants with the cargo pockets and the logger's pants). All seem ultra-druable and economical. The only drawback I saw as I read the catalog, is the word "imported" after all the product descriptions, as some have mentioned here.

jcbrandon

Explorer
I've got three or four pair of Duluth Fire Hose Workpants (plus a bunch of their other clothing, bags, and gear).

They are great for backcountry truck trips. The fabric is tough, the multiple pockets are great, and the khaki and brownish colors hide desert dirt.

I did wear a hole in one pair after about two years of working on construction and landscaping projects around my house. Duluth replaced them immediately with no questions asked.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
I'm happy with my pair so far, but I haven't really put them through the ringer, so to speak.

As for the made-in-USA part - yes, and no - you have to look specifically for "made in USA" when shopping - much of what they sell is imported, just like most retailers today. I know specifically some of their blue-jeans are made-in-USA (and advertised as such).

-N

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I've got multiple pairs of the 5 pocket, and they're my favorites right now. I've had mine for about 5 years, and buy them for my brother and father for Christmas every year.

Definitely durable and comfortable, but not exactly quick drying or suitable for extended hiking.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My fleece lined appear to have been treated with something. I won't call them water-proof by a long shot, but incidental garden hose spray beads right off of them.

will

Adventurer
I have two pairs, very nice quality, love the thick canvas ("fire hose") material. I'm away from home (WA) in VT right now and it has frequently been -2F and the pants are not the fleece lined kind, but still keep me warm. I love these pants. I've only worn them for a couple months so aI can't attest to longevity yet. But I'm hoping they outlast the carharts I used to wear, which are now my weekend/garage pants.

To be direct and specific about where they're made...unfortunately, they are made in China. Although I try to buy things made in the USA where possible, these are on my exception list for now pending longevity.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I can tear through carhartt pants in a matter of weeks, although I still wear them all the time. Way better than jeans, but certainly not indestructible. For those who have these, how do they hold up (or how do you think) to metal fabrication? welding, grinding, cutting, ect? I have set a couple different carhartt jackets (same material as the pants) on fire as of late.

~ James

will

Adventurer
James - They're just 100% cotton (no fire retardant despite the 'firehose' in the name)...I've done some simple metal fab - grinding and wire-feed welding in my carhartt pants w/o a problem but haven't tried it in these Duluth Firehose pants yet. My guess is they'd hold up the same, but I don't have real-world experience in that activity with these pants.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've done some light fabrication in mine. Cutting off and grinding smooth the old engine mount brackets on the FJ (only place to stand is "in the plane of sparks"), nothing really heavy yet. No concerns so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan