Dumb Trailer Design questions #2

Brettski

Observer
Happy Turkey Day everyone.

Something I've been pondering, but need to ask: why doesn't anyone build a trailer with the interior floor above the height of the tires? What I mean by this, is say you want an interior that is 5' wide, most people go with a 5x8 size frame which is wider than 5' because of the wheels. But if the cabin was build above the wheel fenders, both the total outside width of the trailer and cabin could be the same. Storage could be put under the floor, accessible from the outside. So why haven't I seen anyone do a trailer this way? Is the center of gravity that much higher or is there another compromise? I just ask because to me it seems like the smaller the trailer's footprint, the further you can take it offroad and the less likely to get it stuck. What am I missing?

Thanks!

*the center of gravity would certainly move up, maybe 6-8" or so. But that's not really much, especially if you put a water tank and other gear in that space. Right?

KC10Chief

Happy Turkey Day everyone.

Something I've been pondering, but need to ask: why doesn't anyone build a trailer with the interior floor above the height of the tires? What I mean by this, is say you want an interior that is 5' wide, most people go with a 5x8 size frame which is wider than 5' because of the wheels. But if the cabin was build above the wheel fenders, both the total outside width of the trailer and cabin could be the same. Storage could be put under the floor, accessible from the outside. So why haven't I seen anyone do a trailer this way? Is the center of gravity that much higher or is there another compromise? I just ask because to me it seems like the smaller the trailer's footprint, the further you can take it offroad and the less likely to get it stuck. What am I missing?

Thanks!

*the center of gravity would certainly move up, maybe 6-8" or so. But that's not really much, especially if you put a water tank and other gear in that space. Right?

I'm building my trailer this way. I wanted a trailer that can fit a queen size bed inside. I also wanted to use the same wheels and 35" tires my Jeep has on it so I could just carry one spare. I also wanted it to be about the same width as my Jeep. If I put in a 60" wide queen size mattress with 1.5" thick walls, my trailer is 63" wide. Then, two 12.5" wide tires with a couple inches of clearance, I'm looking at an 89" wide trailer. My Jeep is 77" wide from tire to tire. So, I'm using 3,500 pound 4" lift timbren axles with 10" brake hubs, adapters, etc. My trailer will actually be 72.5" wide from outside wall to outside wall. Since the tires will be recessed into the trailer, the inside bed platform will be above that. I'll use the area below for things like a water tank and storage. Here's a couple of sketches of what I'm working on.
14925362_10209594141483268_6100436891688484423_n.jpg

14570484_10209594141563270_2936167155482115607_n.jpg

jwiereng

steel belted tire failure

Frenchie has posted "I have built 4 Overlanding trailers in the last 27 years (1 for myself and 3 for friends). If you have the tires under the cabin, I word of advice build it like a tank. If a steel belted tires lets go at speed it will destroy the floor and walls. With the tires outside the body you will have less damage if a tires goes. "

I would not worry too much about tire failure in the design of the trailer. Just keep the trailer equipped with good tires. Many factory built campers are over and above the wheels. Majority of the passenger vehicles also are made with the cabin over and above the tire. Yes a tire can damage a cabin, but unlikely.

opp

Observer
Where you going to store the trailer ? If inside will your vent , rack hit any thing?

KC10Chief

Hi KC10CHIEF,

In looking at your sketches, I see a 80 gallon water tank. I do not know if you calculated the weight of the water alone in a full tank? I will say that is a lot of water. Our class A motor home has a 80 gallon water tank. 2 people can shower do dishes and drink for 10 days with that much water. That is not being tight with the water at all. 30 gallons should be enough for that size of trailer. If your going out into the desert for 3 weeks without resupplying then you may need that much water.

You will need to have strong brakes to handle the weight and stopping.

Yeah. I thought about that later. I think that I could haul that much but it would be way overkill. 80 gallons is 640 pounds. I was just doing the calculations on what I could fit in that space. I'm going to put in a 27 gallon tank. That's the latest plan anyways. I may go even smaller.

Brettski

Observer
KC10CHIEF- Thanks for sharing. This is what I was thinking in my head too. Can't tell from your diagram, how much space do you have between "floors"? How are you designing access to the space- through the floor or the exterior?

KC10Chief

KC10CHIEF- Thanks for sharing. This is what I was thinking in my head too. Can't tell from your diagram, how much space do you have between "floors"? How are you designing access to the space- through the floor or the exterior?

About 10" right now. I'm going to have access through the sides and the floor. Of course, the floor access will be covered by the mattress and I'll just use that for maintenance purposes. I've been thinking about some changes. I'm not going to have the sliding bunk now. Instead, it will be fixed in place. Smaller water tank. The overall shape will be the same. The trailer will be 72.5" wide on the outside. 69.5" wide on the inside. On each side of the mattress, will be 4.75" wide cubby holes/shelves where you can put shoes and other items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger