Dumping Jeep Rubicon for 02-04 DC TRD 4WD: Where to start

I'm in the process of selling my 04 Jeep Rubicon. Although its been fun, it is no longer practical for the family at all. I've always liked the Tacoma and especially the 02-04 Double Cabs. It'll be used as a daily driver and for moderate off-roading (no more crazy stuff) and expedition-type runs with the family. Several questions I need help with:

It appears that I can get 31s or 32s under it without much of a problem but how does it work when you get all twisted up? Do you rub all over the place?

What additional armor do you need on a TRD? Sliders come to mind as do bumpers. E-locker protection? Anything else?

Eventually I'd like to be running 33s again. What is the best lift combination for daily driving and off road performance?

BTW, I love the pics of what I've seen and wish I'd bought a Taco instead of the Rubicon in the beginning.

DenCo40

Adventurer
Good luck on finding a DC. They ARE out there though. Tacomas need the same protection as just about anything else i.e. sliders and a good bull bar. I bought an e-locker guard for mine- so far so good. I understand if you smash your e-locker solenoid it's big bucks so an e-locker guard is a good idea and cheap insurance. As far as other protection goes, it depends on what you want to do with it and how serious you get off road.
Lifts can be diverse and sometimes depend on what you like. 3-4 inches is about the max you can go before you get ridiculous and create all kinds of issues for the rest of your truck and your wallet. With stock you can do 32 inch tires unloaded without much rubbing. To do it right I would raise it a couple of inches so you can go off road and not peel anything off of your tires or truck.
Mine is a daily driver geared toward the taking extended trips and the yearly jaunt to Burningman..
PS- Welcome to the Expo

7wt

Expedition Leader
There is only 8" of travel up front so a 4" lift means you have no droop. You want to keep your lift in the 2" range for max comfort but that will allow you to run 32" with no rub at all depending on the width of the tire. About the only thing you will get twisted up is the rear and there is no problems with rubbing on maximum flex. I run 235/85's and due to the tire being skinny, I am no where near rubbing. Good luck on your quest.

pell53

Just a quick little something...I noticed above you were interested in the 02-04 DCs. The first year for them was '01. I just didn't want you to start looking and rule out anyting from that year. I actually found my '01 DCab last summer and it still had about 15K miles left on the extended warranty.

Good Luck on the search!

viter

Adventurer
visit this page and look on the left for different topics - http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/tacoma/index.html

pretty much the general agreement is that you can fit up to 33" tires with 2-3" of lift and only rub slightly when at extremese of turning radius aqnd articulation. best ride on and off-road is considered by many to be Donahoe (Icon) coilovers for the front and Deaver leafsprings combined with donahoe (icon) shocks or bilstein shocks for the rear. the only drawback is price - ~$1000 for coilovers and ~$600-1000 for the rear. cheaper solution that still provides quite good quality ride and a couple inches of lift is OME lift - can get full kit (front and rear) for ~$1000.

wheeler's offroad has pretty good prices - http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoma.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger