Durability of an Engel

Roktoys84

Adventurer
I just bought an Engel 45 with transit bag before my trip to Southern Utah. 10 days in the desert and no ice! Now I want another one! But before I start packing it in the back of an open top Jeep I need to know how durable/weatherproof these are. How do they handle dust? Or rain? Will the vibrations of wheeling kill my investment?

AndrewP

Explorer
Dust and vibration are no problem. Mine is 4 years old with plenty of both and it's running strong. I don't believe they are made to get wet, since the connectors are not waterproofed.

nugget

Observer
I have been running an Engel for 15 years. Have carted it in the back of a camper trailer, back of Patrols and in the tray of a Rodeo dual cab. Have jsut passed it onto my son and bought a new one so that we had more capacity for the beer!

BiG BoB

Adventurer
My parents bought one when I was born ('85) for keeping baby stuff in when travelling, its still going strong today!

Its been all over Aus in the back of 4wd (wagons) and spent a lot of time in the boat too.

It wasn't working too well on a waterskiing trip about 18months ago, and when they got back the snapped up a new one on special. I switched it on a week later and turned it to max when I ran out of fridge space for beer, figured a poorly working engel was better than nothing - the damn thing froze my beer!! Seems that getting a new one scared it into working again (rather than getting left home)

Mum now has that same lil old engel in the back of her Honda Jazz to bring the shopping home in.

Sean

nugget

Observer
I took my old one in for a service and regas..didn't need any gas but whilst I was there I asked the guy about WECO's. He said that he loved them because they break down all of the time, especially the electronics that he gets a big fat warranty work cheque from Weco every month....his good oil...stick with the Engel!

mrchips

Adventurer
Fridge Noise

I Have A At Chaser Tent Trailer And Would Like To Install An Engle Fridge/freezer. My Conscern Is The Amount Of Noise And Vibration It Will Transmit Thru The Trailer A Night And Will It Disturb My Wife's Sleep, That Is The Main Reason For My Question. Any Thoughts Appreciated. Thanks

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Yeah, they have little rubber feet so they don't transmit too much vibration. I wouldn't want my head next to it, but they aren't loud.

If the mattress/bed is ontop of your trailer then that's more than enough sound deadening

Sean

Guinness44

Adventurer
We have the Engel in the truck and sleep next to it, but unplug it at night. It stais cold till the morning, even in summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12