Durability of solar panels in non standard installation?

urbex

Observer
In looking at different ways of mounting solar panels in my Scout (similar to early Broncos, extended wheel base Jeeps for size comparison), one of my thoughts was to put them directly on top of the roll cage in place of the bikini top. I virtually never remove the bikini top any more anyways, so losing that ability wouldn't be an issue to me. The downside being that I lose the ability to move it to face the sun, but living in Phoenix I think the sun exposure would be sufficient.

Given that it's a 50+ year old truck that rides like the proverbial crap house combined with off roading in the desert/rocks, I wonder if the typical solar panel would survive long term being hard mounted to the vehicle. Are there "heavy duty" panels I should be looking at for this? I've been Googling this, but it's hard to figure out whether I'm looking at stuff that's truly meant for harsh environments, or just using nifty marketing speak to take advantage of those that don't know any better...namely me :D

228B

Observer
I have two Renogy 100W monocrystalline (the silicon billet sliced into what becomes a PV cell) rigid panels, designed for structural roof-top mounting. I think the covering is 5 mil tempered glass, and the PV panel is framed in fairly-stout aluminum channel... I think the panel to be well-made, so to endure the conditions you describe atop your truck, I'd only wonder about backing the center of the 24" X 48" glass area to minimize any "oil-can" effect, if any, which might be induced from a dynamic mobile environment. Or something like that. Another thing to pay attention to are the cable connections, to be sure they're properly restrained and routed.

urbex

Observer
Backing it shouldn't be a big deal. I've already got support down the middle, front to rear, that is the overhead radio mount. It wouldn't be a big deal to add a couple more pieces of tubing/angle, and I could easily add a sheet of aluminum over the entire area if it really came down to it.

Thanks! I'll check out the Renogy panels.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
The Renogy panel I recently purchased is very stout in my opinion, I don't think you would have a mounting problem.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Ran this set up for a while with no issues. Sold it and the new owner is still running again with no issues.

Attachments

• 100 roof.JPG
    100 roof.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 29

228B

Observer
You say bikinitop. From windshield to ROPS ?
You might check that torsional flex does not exist before solidly attaching.

Ooof. Yea. What Verkstad said. (I'm busted for not thoroughly reading the original post...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle