Dust Problem, 3rd Gen Montero

rusmannx

I picked up an 03' a few months ago and got it offroad a couple of weekends ago. I was the only vehicle on a very dusty road and if I had any window open at all, dust will come pouring in from somewhere. It's almost like having the window down creates a vacuum and sucks the dust in (LOTS of dust). This is true if one window is open an inch, or if I have all four windows all the way open (I did a lot of testing over 2 days in the desert). If I roll the windows up, no dust comes in. I can have the front and/or rear air conditioning going, recirculation turned on or off, and there's no dust as long as all windows are up. A friend of mine who has an 01' was riding shotgun and he couldn't believe it since his does not have this problem.

All of the door and window seals look to be in great condition so yesterday I had one of my kids climb in the vehicle with a light ribbon we went around every door and window with me blasting compressed air into the seals from the outside. We couldn't find a leak. I also crawled under the vehicle blasting air at the body everywhere I could reach, trying to see if I could get it to stir up the dust inside but couldn't get a result.

Anyone have a thought or guess?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did you have it set to inside recirculating air or outside air on the hvac controls? And have you checked to see if you have an existing cabin filter?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

rusmannx

Thanks guys. I went to check the cabin filter while I was messing with it yesterday and realized it didn't have one.
I'll check the links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online