Dutch oven size??

Rockit

What size dutch oven do you all use? There is minimum 6 of us, and quite often 8. All very, ummmm, VERY big eaters.

I'm thinking either the Camp Chef 14" or 16". Too big?

Thanks.

James86004

Expedition Leader
We usually make a breakfast casserole thing in our 12" oven for 7 adults and 3 children and have leftovers.

rambrush

Adventurer
We started out to big and now use the 12" for everything. The 1 pot is so capable of so much different purposes.
Just get the hang/ feel for how much charcoal you need to get the heat correct.

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
12 inch is more then enough...I have a 12 deep that gets most use for groups...I do a mt man in that with 30 AA eggs, 2lbs hashbrowns, 4lb bacon, 1lb of cheez, bunch of veggies, and feed about 10 folks (no one goes away hungery:sombrero: )with some leftover for lunch...start with either a 10" or a 12" then you can see if you need a bigger one...

James86004

Expedition Leader
Also, we have a 12" Camp Chef one, and after using that for a while, decided to get a smaller one. We bought an 8" Lodge. The Lodge is much better quality, although the Camp Chef is perfectly serviceable. One nice feature was the Lodge was preseasoned. Seasoning a dutch oven for the first time is a big mess, and I think it is worth it to buy a preseasoned one.

Buckru

Observer
Forget the 16. You'll need a crane to lift it. I am a two oven guy for large crowds. A deep and a regular. The deep acommodates roasts and whole chickens better. The deep is also a little better for baking as when the bread rises it doesnt get so close to the top it burns.

For your needs, you might need a 12 deep and a regular 12. Or a 12 deep and 10 regular.

try asking here www.camp-cook.com

Buck

Willman

James86004 said:
We usually make a breakfast casserole thing in our 12" oven for 7 adults and 3 children and have leftovers.

Sounds about right for me too!

I have a 12" deep dutch oven.....Love it!

Also got an 8" for smaller meals which is nice to have around!

:sombrero:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have fed as many as 16 guys big bowls of chili in a 14" deep, its too big for most occasions but i got it specially for baking since i can do alot in it.

my 12" deep is most used, i can feed 10-12 guys big bowls of chili in that oven. its a very flexible oven and i would recommend that size for a first oven or general purpose oven.

my next most used oven is a 10" regular, its perfect for a couple eaters or doing side dishes to compliment the bigger oven(s).

Robert Bills

Explorer
My two cents:

Start with a 12" dutch oven. If you really get into dutch oven cooking, your second oven can be one size larger or smaller as your needs dictate.

Pre-seasoned ovens are great, but it's not that big a deal to season one yourself. I use my outdoor gas grill to do this (lid down, of course) so that there is no smoke or odor in the house.

Practice at home before using your dutch oven while camping. Its fun, and you will learn how many charcoal briquets to use top and bottom for various recipes. (The "temperature charts" in the product literature and dutch oven cookbooks are great, but no substitute for personal experience with your oven and the recipes you will actually be following.)

btggraphix

Observer
It does seem like a 12" shallow is very close to the ideal size as far as general use. It's the first one we got, and until recently the only one we had. I suppose it would be a little small for 8 people if all the food was coming from it....but if there are other parts of the meal coming elsewhere it would work for just the main course.

We woke up one Saturday morning early this summer to the sounds of an auction floating up the hill and out of curiosity traced the sounds back to where it was going on. I've never been to an auction but I couldn't resist signing in and waiting for a 14" deep Dutch Oven. I got it for $20, and also the dual propane burner from Cabella's with removable legs for $20.

It seems like having one deep and one shallow is a great combo. I can't wait to use the big one for doing a one-pot Gumbo from scratch in it.

What I need to do is get used to using charcoal; I learned by using coals from the fire like our friends do. Last camping trip I tried to use charcoal and I think they must have gotten wet at some point because they didn't burn very well at all. So on the night I was planning on cooking for about 10 I went with the tried and true and used coals. Here's the Enchiladas in the 12" shallow pan:

2mcg2ud.jpg

We used the two dutch ovens and people seemed to enjoy them (while sitting under the canopy in the rain, watching the CU_CSU game on a TV under our awning. Definitely 'roughing it'

16awhhg.jpg

Thanks for the links above too.....there's some great info there.

GunnIt

Adventurer
Getting back to an earler question: Has anyone experience with a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven? What are your thoughts on this oven compared to a cast iron oven?

I'm thinking of trying to keep the weight down in my Horizon.

Cooking for 3 people, would you go with a shallow 10" or 12"?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have seen aluminum in use, seems to be fine but a little bit temperamental with hot spots, and it doesnt quite season like cast. i dont like the idea of cooking with aluminum, i hear its safe from some and its not from others.
a single dutch oven isnt going to break the bank on weight, not when you consider everything you can do with it once you start using it.

cooking for 3, eh i like a 12" for its universal-ness, but you can make a fair bit of grub in a 10". maybe look at a 10" deep.

paulj

Expedition Leader
GunnIt said:
Getting back to an earler question: Has anyone experience with a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven? What are your thoughts on this oven compared to a cast iron oven?

I have the 10" GSI hard anodized. It's one on my favorite pots, at home and for use with coals. The 10" size does not have legs, but GSI sells a nice stand for it. Without legs I can use it on the stove top. In non-sticking quality it is similar to enameled steel, not quite as good as well seasoned iron; some sticking, but easy to clean.

The 10" is relatively shallow, about a 3 qt volume. That's about right for a 2 cups of flour scone or biscuit recipe. Or 1 cup of rice for a pilaf. It should be fine for 3 people. I usually cook for 2, and always have left overs with this pan.

My other dutch oven (with legs and rim) is an 8" Lodge, which is deeper, but some what less in volume. I haven't done a careful comparison using coals; overall they are about the same. With the separate stand, the 10" packs better, and is lighter.

One problem is that it isn't very stable when hung by the wire handle, especially if full of liquid. If I have to carry it, I need to use one hand with a hot pad to stabilize it. I'm not sure if it is a problem with how handle is mounted, or the fact that it is relatively shallow and light (and without the legs).

To lift the lid, I use a pair of vice grips. The conventional dutch oven lid hook isn't stable enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears