Dynabeads

irish1371

Adventurer
So I have been looking at running my rims with beads to balance. I see on dynas website that for my tire 315/70/17 d rated I would need 8 oz in each tire.

I am also running hutchingson internal beadlock rims. I wonder if this will change the needed weight?

I also noticed on their website it says for a 35/12.5/17 tire to run 10 oz of weight. Aren't these 2 tires basically the same size?

Anyone with some 1st hand experience?

Thanks

wADVr

Adventurer
I ran air soft bbs a few years ago. Same logic applies. I also ran 8oz for a set of 33s. The heavier/larger the tire the more weight to balance is the theory. Wheel design/ differences shouldn't affect weight needed to balance the tires. I loved them, even wear out of a set of 33" BFG MTs for 68k.

cwadej

just a guy
I used them in my motorcycle. I found the tiny beads would get between the valve and stem when checking pressure, holding it open. Only way to fix it was to remove the valve core, clear it, the reinstall. Of course that meant the tire was now at 0 psi. Not much air in a bike tire, in my jeep tires? NO way, Balancing isnt that expensive.

irish1371

Adventurer
Yea they make a valve core designed so that wont happen. Plus the jokers around here arent top notch when it.comes to.running simple.machines like tire balancers.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I mount my own tires and balance them with air soft pellets. I've found I usually need twice the specified Dynabeads weight using them.

zj96sc

used dynabeads to balance a set of 35" SSR radials on my F250. I used their larger "off road" beads to avoid the need for their special valve stems. they smoothed those crazy SSRs out to a sheet of glass up to 85mph. mounted them myself and poured them in. initially bought 8 and then stepped up to 10 - was having issues but in the process of putting in the 2 additional ounces i found an internal 6oz patch balance from interco had come loose and was the source of my problems.

too many beads won't really be a problem - they'll distribute out evenly and just be along for the ride.

kind of a unique feel - you can hear the beads tumbling around at slow speeds, and you'll get a little shimmy as you come up past 35mph and then basically feel the beads do their job and the ride smooths out.

do not see why the internal beadlocks would impact the performance - the beads do their work at the periphery of the tire.

in your case i'd go with 10oz versus 8, and use the offroad beads.

jkosten

Observer
I run 8oz of the "heavy" 20g airsoft (6mm) beads in each of my 35" Toyo MT'S. It made a night and day difference as I am the second owner. If I were to do it again l would recommend getting the "extra heavy" 25g beads so you can use 25% less beads to achieve same weight.

You will have to brake the bead to install them though, as the standard Dynabeads fit through the valve stem.

sent from my pocket...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I went with Centramatics, which I suppose works on the same principle, although more expensive. I am satisfied with their performance. Not perfect but good.

SchwanMotorFab

Just went through this yesterday. I bought my TJ last August with 33x12.50 R15 Goodyear Duratracs. It came with the beads installed. Yesterday I rotated my tires like I do every 4k miles and ended up with a terrible vibration up front. Returned the tires to their original location and drove it to the shop I used to work at. I broke the tires down and found that the Dyna Beads had become almost tacky and were stuck all the way around the inside of the tires in bunched up patches. So I shop vacuumed out the beads and cleaned up the residue that was inside. I measured up 4oz of Equal (calls for 3-4oz for a 33x12.5R15) and put it in the tires, remounted and test drove. Vibration is gone and it drives way better than with the Dyna beads.

uber

Observer
I used them in my motorcycle. I found the tiny beads would get between the valve and stem when checking pressure, holding it open. Only way to fix it was to remove the valve core, clear it, the reinstall. Of course that meant the tire was now at 0 psi. Not much air in a bike tire, in my jeep tires? NO way, Balancing isnt that expensive.

tire size shouldn't matter unless you're filling them with a hand operated bicycle pump. my tiny compressor will fill my 32's in a matter of minutes.

as for price of balancing, it can get very expensive. i hit the trails at least once a month, and when i do i air down. if you spin your tires on obstacles, there is a very strong chance of your tire spinning on the rim. this means a rebalance when you're done. at walmart, that's $32 a pop.

TG Smith

I have Hutchinsons on my '14 JKU with 35" Duratracs. I called Hutchinson about the beads and they did not recommend using them. Hutchinson stated the beads can get wedged in the cylinder so they don't like them. Instead they recommended using liquid tire balance. I started with 4 oz per tire...vibration at 50 mph and above. Put in another ounce per tire...vibration at 50 mph and above. Going to add another ounce. If it is not better I plan to break them all down :mad: and go conventional. Will be interested to watch this thread. Not intending to hijack your thread - wanted to share my 'alternative balancing' experience and my conversation with Hutchinson.

Kevingraham

Have you had them balanced already? If you are getting a "shimmy"?

The reason I ask is because I have rock monsters and they balanced out great on a machine here at my work. For reference I have 15x8 hutchinson with 35 12.50 15 Goodyear mtr with Kevlar. If I recall correctly the balancer called for less that 3 oz on all five. I had read about the beads and wanted to give it a try. Since mine called for such a little amount of weight I figured "why not".
If you are familiar with the internal beadlock on the rock monster, adding them through the stem wouldn't work IMO.
I was a little apprehensive about them getting pinched in the bead. I was going to try to funnel them through the hole opposite the valve stem but the o ring fell out since it was upright. Ended up using a five gallon bucket to unseat the front half and poured the beads between the bead and beadlock as I stood the tire up on its tread, then carefully laid the tire back down to keep the dynabeads from getting toward the bead of the tire. I also used petroleum jelly to keep the o ring seated in the back half of the wheel. Then I made sure to stand the tire up the so the dynabeads were still at the bottom. I did put the recommended 8oz in each one.

Sorry for the extremely long post. Wasn't my intention to be so long winded....

FYI I added the beads after I had put a few hundred miles without weight. Before I added them I would get a little vibe in the seat. After they have been smooth. Have about 3k miles on them now and all is well

Last edited:

SchwanMotorFab

jkosten
Im not sure what the true cause was. My guess is maybe outside contamination, as the interior surface of the tire seems to be intact. Maybe from an air compressor that was getting too much oil into the air line, thus introducing oil into the tire. I had also thought maybe the previous owner had used Fix-a-Flat at one point in time. The sticky residue was a pain to clean off of the wheels, even brake clean was having a hard time cutting it!. Since then I have put another 250 miles on. The vibration was gone, but has come back ever so slightly in the rear axle. I think I have a belt starting to shift in one of the tires. Looking at replacing them with some Pro Comp Extreme ATs before I head to Ouray, CO.

jkosten

Observer
I could see oil/water causing some headaches. Either way good to hear it is somewhat working.

An internal belt could easily cause issues

sent from my pocket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears