E-250 5.4 Failure

DocWhiskey

Observer
Well I wish my first van post was one with better news, but here goes.

I bought my 2011 E-250 Cargo in September 2016; and hadn't done too much too it other than pull out the shelves and lay down about 60 sq ft of FatMat on the sides and doors (thing sounded like a tin-roof shed when it rained). I've mostly done shorter trips chasing swells into New Jersey and up as far as Maine from my current duty station in the Bronx; camping in the back by way of sleeping bag and pad. I was on my way back from Lubec, Maine (easternmost point in the USA, killer sunrise) and made it back to Norwalk, CT when my engine died. Almost no warning; no lights or rough running during the trip, oil level before the trip was WNL and changed about 2,000 miles ago. Right before it died it almost sounded like it was missing on a cylinder and then just shut off. AAA towed me to a shop and I got lucky enough to get an honest and reputable one from what I could tell; we did some dx work and the oil on the dipstick smelled burned as all get out; after I got it towed home it almost looks like there was a leak around the rear main seal and passenger manifold.

I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help out. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I know the 5.4s have a history of some problems but normally related to cam phasers, correct? On the subject of replacement; what's the best company to go with? I hear Jasper more than a few places but I also found a somewhat local company (Paterson, NJ), "Promar" who offer a 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty. I'm also currently weighing performing the swap myself vs. paying a shop to do it; this is definitely an unexpected cost.

Any helpful guidance would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I have a 2013 5.4L for sale... 23k miles. regular services. Came out of my personal van for the Cummins swap. PM me if interested.

DocWhiskey

Observer
I have a 2013 5.4L for sale... 23k miles. regular services. Came out of my personal van for the Cummins swap. PM me if interested.

Oh rad I didn't think you still had that. I've been following your swap; really solid work. I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did the same thing (engine replacement) I pulled my engine, sent it to machine shop. New pistons, rod, main bearings etc etc.

Did the work myself, but it's what I do all day. Total cost for reman engine was $2350 as a long block. I also replaced every thing around it, cooling system, sensors, etc etc. also did the driveshaft, a trans service, front and rear trans seals etc.

Spent about $3400 total.

DocWhiskey

Observer
I just did the same thing (engine replacement) I pulled my engine, sent it to machine shop. New pistons, rod, main bearings etc etc.

Did the work myself, but it's what I do all day. Total cost for reman engine was $2350 as a long block. I also replaced every thing around it, cooling system, sensors, etc etc. also did the driveshaft, a trans service, front and rear trans seals etc.

Spent about $3400 total.

The $2350 was what the machine shop charged for the refresh? Which one did you pull and replace?

The cost is doable just very unexpected and throws a wrench into the whole camper conversion and further puts the 4wd conversion on hold. I have never done an engine swap before; although I feel like with patience I could tackle it. I'm currently trying to talk my chain-of-command into letting me use the very empty and very large garage here at work; mainly because it's a tad chilly in the Bronx to be doing an engine swap in my driveway.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I'll do that. My generation of van came with the 2-valve, correct? What years was that available in the F-150?

Oh right...forgot you're talking about a van. The F150online guys might be able to help you since its a 5.4. Lots of those on there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm pretty sure the 4.6L and 5.4L are the same in every F series truck from 99-2006. The 5.4 is the same in every E series models from 99 to present. They even made F350's with the 5.4. Try a Ford van forum also.

Good luck!

DocWhiskey

Observer
Oh right...forgot you're talking about a van. The F150online guys might be able to help you since its a 5.4. Lots of those on there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm pretty sure the 4.6L and 5.4L are the same in every F series truck from 99-2006. The 5.4 is the same in every E series models from 99 to present. They even made F350's with the 5.4. Try a Ford van forum also.

Good luck!

Yeah they might have something to say maybe point me in the right direction.

The $2350 was what the machine shop charged for the refresh? Which one did you pull and replace?

The cost is doable just very unexpected and throws a wrench into the whole camper conversion and further puts the 4wd conversion on hold. I have never done an engine swap before; although I feel like with patience I could tackle it. I'm currently trying to talk my chain-of-command into letting me use the very empty and very large garage here at work; mainly because it's a tad chilly in the Bronx to be doing an engine swap in my driveway.

I pulled a 2006 e150 4.6 2v and they charged $2350 including parts (gaskets/seals, pistons, rod and main bearings, surfacing, timing chains/guides/gears) and assembly.

They had it 3 days total.

DocWhiskey

Observer
I pulled a 2006 e150 4.6 2v and they charged $2350 including parts (gaskets/seals, pistons, rod and main bearings, surfacing, timing chains/guides/gears) and assembly.

They had it 3 days total.

That's not too bad. I would be a little nervous trying to find a shop around here that I could trust. I'm not even sure if it's rebuildable right now; at least at that price point. As it stands, it's completely seized.

That's not too bad. I would be a little nervous trying to find a shop around here that I could trust. I'm not even sure if it's rebuildable right now; at least at that price point. As it stands, it's completely seized.

What caused the seize?

Buy the one from Mg, and be done with it, or call up ford for a factory reman (about $3500)

gtbensley

Explorer
Thats a bit odd, they normally dont just up and stop spinning while there is oil still there. I agree with idiot :sombrero: there, buy MG's and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78