e-books and e-readers: post here

haven

Expedition Leader
A new company called Inkling (http://www.inkling.com) has announced plans to develop textbooks for e-readers. The company will start with books formatted for the iPad.

As a proof of concept, Inkling has a deal with McGraw-Hill to produce rich text versions of four popular college textbooks. The chapters will include extended graphics and video relevant to the subject, and hyperlinks to other resources. The student will be able to highlight passages of text, and make electronic notes.

Inkling says it will be possible to share students' notes in real time with the iPads of other students, allowing collaboration in a study group. A professor might use this feature to share comments about the text with the class.

Once an e-book or chapter is purchased from Inkling, the student can download it as often as they want. Once a student configures the Inkling application to allow sharing, the notes a student makes are stored online. Notes are shared only with other Inklink owners the student chooses to authorize. Because the notes are stored on a server, if the e-book is deleted or the iPad is lost, the student can recover both using the Inkling service.

Some observers think adding a social networking aspect to e-books is the "killer application" that will lead to widespread acceptance of e-books in higher education. It would be a great way to flirt with other students, too!

Under the Inkling plan, students will be able to purchase individual chapters of the textbooks for $3-$4. An entire book may cost $70-$85. If you've visited a college bookstore lately, you'll recognize that these prices are reasonable.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'll post up here my thoughts when mine arrives. No commitment on the arrival date from Amazon yet. I loved my Kindle 2...until I lost it.

haven

Expedition Leader
Amazon.com just announced Kindle Singles, a program to help authors publish short works of non-fiction. Works in the Singles program will be 10K to 30K words in length, and will sell for less than the typical Kindle price of $10-$13 for books.

The Kindle Singles program sounds like a good way to get adventure travel route descriptions published. In addition to the Kindle hardware, Amazon has produced Kindle programs for iPhone, Android, and several other hardware platforms. So a work published through Kindle Singles would be widely accessible.

Here's more information
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101012006202/en

kjp1969

Explorer
I have kindle software on my netbook, and have read two books on it. I like that when I travel I always have my netbook anyway, and i don't have to carry a second item. However. . .
1. I can't share the book as easily,
2. It takes time to power up and down,
3. I like to read particuarly at times when I can't or don't want to fire up electronica- taxiing in an airplane, etc.
4. You can't "eyeball" the book at see how far you are through it- that silly little marker on the bottom just isn't the same.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Barnes and Noble Nook Color, a 7 inch e-reader with a color display, is now available to be ordered. The price is $250, and shipments are expected to start in late November. Read more here
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp?cm_sp=Gateway-_-NOOKcolor-_-Large%20Product%20Image&cds2Pid=30919

Many reviewers dismiss the Nook Color because it lacks the daylight-readable capability of the grayscale readers like the original Nooks and Kindles. Like a laptop, the Nook Color display is difficult-to-impossible to read when you're sitting outdoors. The color display also requires more power, so battery life is measured in hours rather than days.

To my mind, these criticisms are not enough to rule out the Nook Color as a viable e-reader. Many people use their iPhones, iPads and Android devices to read e-books. And there's no denying that a page with color graphics and photos is more attractive to the human eye than a grayscale image. In particular, magazines are much more attractive when viewed in color. Barnes and Noble offers subscriptions to more than 70 magazines. The full list can be found through the link above.

The Nook Color includes WiFi capability. The ability to browse the web is included. Barnes and Noble plans to offer a web store for additional Android apps.

At its core, the Nook Color is an Android tablet. Specs include
Processor: TI OMAP 3621 CPU, clocked at 800MHz
Display: 7 inch IPS color LCD
Screen resolution: 1024 x 600
Operating system: Android 2.1 with custom user interface
RAM: 512MB
Flash storage: 8GB
Removable storage: MicroSD, up to 32GB

These specs compare well with tablets like the Viewsonic ViewPad 7, which is available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $479. In fairness, the Viewpad includes two cameras and a GPS chip, features missing from the Nook Color. That said, the Nook Color looks like a bargain at $249.

The Android 2.1 OS is a bit of a disappointment, since 2.2 has been available for some time and offers performance advantages. Android 2.3 will be released before the end of the year, so the Nook Color soon will be two versions behind.

I think it's only a matter of time before some enterprising hackers figure out how to gain root access to the Nook Color. This will allow the use of standard Android 2.2 and 2.3, as well as the great multitude of Android applications. When this comes to pass, the $249 price will be close to irresistible.

haven

Expedition Leader
Amazon.com just released an update for its Kindle app on the Andriod platform. The update is the first Kindle version on any platform that allows you to subscribe to more than 100 newspapers and magazines. The subscribed items are delivered to your device automatically when released by the publisher.

The Kindle for Android app is available through the Android Market from your handset or market-enabled Android tablet.

Kindle subscriptions begin with a 14 day free trial. The list of periodicals available through Kindle for Android is here
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=2488483011"]Amazon.com: Magazines and Newspapers[/ame]

It seems reasonable to assume that support for periodical subscriptions will appear in updates to Kindle on other platforms shortly. Fear not, iPad owners.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've used Palms as ebook readers since...well, since there've been Palms. Read a LOT of books on one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyocera_6035

My current reader is a T|X that I've had since 2006:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Palm-1047NA-TX-Handheld/dp/B000BI7NHY"]Amazon.com: Palm TX Handheld: Electronics[/ame]

I've played with the newer ebook readers, but what I love about the Palm is that it's small. I can use it one-handed and can easily use it sitting up or laying down - even laying on my side. I -like- the small size. What I really don't want is a bigger reader.

Unfortunately my T|X is about worn out, so I'll be in the market for a new reader pretty soon. I'll be looking for the smallest one I can get.

(And it certainly will not be any Apple product.)

ywen

Explorer
I have a Kindle with the world 3g and it is the bomb....

Works all over the world, books in seconds, and saves me LOTS of space in my travel bag.

Me likey....

Have you used the kindle 3g in other countries? what was the experience?

haven

Expedition Leader
rent electronic textbooks through Amazon.com

Amazon.com sells electronic editions of many textbooks. The company uses its strength as a retailer of physical books to convince publishers to produce electronic versions. The price to buy the electronic version is substantially lower than the hard copy. The books are readable using Amazon's Kindle software, which is available on a dedicated e-reader (the Kindle, of course), or as a free application on iOS, Android, Blackberry, MacOS, Windows and Windows Phone devices.

Now Amazon.com has started to rent textbooks in electronic form. Minimum rental period is for 30 days, and maximum is 360 days. You can increase the length of the rental period in one day increments. The 30 day price is roughly 1/3 the cost of purchasing the electronic copy.

Here's the web page for the rental service.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000702481&tag=gmgamzn-20

Not all textbooks are available for electronic rental or purchase. You can check to see if your book is available here
http://www.amazon.com/New-Used-Text..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1309711782&pf_rd_i=1000702481

This development makes perfect sense. Students and their parents can save money. (College textbooks can cost $1000 or more per semester these days.) Teachers and professors are freed from the months-long cycle of working with the campus bookstore to order and stock the books needed for courses. Publishers sell books. And, probably most important from Amazon's perspective, students are introduced to Amazon's e-book service, which they will use for years to come.

haven

Expedition Leader
Amazon announces new Kindle models

The Amazon Kindle family of e-readers grew by four today. The new models include a 7 inch color tablet that can run Android apps from Amazon's app store. Price is $199. This model has free access to Amazon's cloud storage, so you can delete stuff off your Kindle and re-load it from the server as needed. This model comes with one month's use of Amazon Prime, a service that ships Amazon's merchandise for free. The $199 model can display movies you rent from Amazon, and can link to your TV set at home.

The $199 Kindle, code named Fire, looks a lot like a Blackberry Playbook. Specs include an IPS display panel (the best kind of color display), a 1 GHz dual core processor, and 8 GB of memory. It's likely that the Fire is made by the same company that supplies RIM. The Playbook price was recently lowered to $299, so I'd guess that Amazon is selling the Fire model for close to what it costs to make it.

One feature of the Fire tablet is a new web browser, named Silk. The Silk browser splits its web page building into two parts: One that runs on the tablet, and a second, parallel part that runs on Amazon's cloud computing service. Since the processing power of the tablet is relatively low, the concept is to have the cloud service do much of the processing to build the web page, and then send the result to the tablet for display. The cloud service also acts as a cache for web pages you are likely to view next, speeding up the process that fetches the next page. This latter technology is widely used by internet service providers like your cable company. It's the former split computing notion that makes Silk an intriguing new approach. Amazon claims the Silk browser is much faster to display web pages than conventional web browsers on competitors' tablets.

I expect the Android hacker community will work non-stop to figure out how to replace Amazon's limited version of Android with the full version provided by Google.

The next model is called the Amazon Kindle Touch tablet. There are two variations on the same basic hardware. For $149, you get a 7 inch e-ink daylight-readable greyscale model with free 3G Whispernet access that works in 100 countries. Subtract the 3G, and you get a WiFi-only version for $99. Both models have two-point addressable touchscreens, so they have no control buttons or keyboard.

The last model, called the Kindle tablet, has a 6 inch screen, and lacks the touchscreen, so it has a few physical control buttons . This model is supported by advertising (ads are displayed from time to time when the screen saver turns on) and costs only $79.

These are aggressive prices, sure to cause headaches for other makers of e-readers like Sony and Barnes and Noble.

Update: All four tablets are up for pre-order on Amazon's web site. The $79 Kindle is ready to ship today. Delivery of the Fire is supposed to be Nov 15. The Kindle Touch models will be delivered Nov. 21.

Update 2: Amazon has lowered the price of the older Kindles (the ones with a keyboard) to $99 and up, depending on options like WiFi only or 3G.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
Amazon is subsidizing the price of its new Kindle Fire tablet in the hopes of making up the difference in online downloads and subscriptions such as Amazon Prime.
This is sure to give both Google and Apple some heartburn.

haven

Expedition Leader
Amazon has made partnerships with several media companies to support the new Fire tablet. The magazines will be offered as the Fire Newsstand.

Announced today are deals with DC Entertainment (think comic books oops I mean graphic novels), Conde Nast (New Yorker, Cosmopolitan, etc) and several newspapers (Wall St Journal, NY Times, and others).

The purchase of a Fire tablet includes a one month membership in Amazon Prime. Prime members have free access to 10,000 movies and TV shows. An additional 90,000 movies can be rented or purchased.

Amazon Music Service offers 17 million MP3s for purchase. Storage of Amazon music purchases is free in the Amazon Cloud server farm. I'm not sure how much you might have to pay to store MP3s that you purchased elsewhere and uploaded to the Cloud.

Conde Nast is adding a three month trial subscription to 17 of their magazine titles with purchase of a Fire tablet.

There's an interesting article about Amazon and its CEO in BusinessWeek
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/the-omnivore-09282011.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior