E Locker question

jgolden

Adventurer
In the 2001 - 2004 tacoma, which "package" came with an E-Locker? If the truck doesn't have it, is it pretty basic to install?

thanks

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
4x4's with the TRD will always have it. It could also be a dealer option however I can't say I've seen an 01-04 non-TRD with the locker... earlier models, but not the 01-04.

The swap requires the complete axle assembly from a Tacoma, the 3rd members are NOT interchangeable (8" versus whats commonly known as the 8.4")

In all reality, a hub-hub axle swap is almost less work than a 3rd member swap... if that makes you feel any better :D

cruiseroutfit

jgolden said:
So does the TRD package come with a bigger rearend? (8" vs. 8.4"?)

As Dave pointed out, smaller...

Its too bad too because the "8.4" is a killer differential, trussed bearing caps and a seemingly more robust ring-gear. While I am a huge fan of OE lockers (cable or electric)... the ARB is a great option to keep the 8.4"

I would base your decision on the price and availability of a used TRD axle...

Baseline it against this:

ARB Air Locker: $800
Compressor: ~$200
Install: ~$300

So for $1300 you could have the ARB setup. You get a stronger locker (IMO) that locks/unlocks faster and a secondary benefit is on board air that can be used to air up tires if no other option exists.

8" locked 3rd members can be had for ~$350-650 on a pretty regular basis... but the going rate for a complete TRD axle is more like $750-1200.

Both are great options FWIW.

Some more info and links:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_elocker.html

MandAtaco

Observer
cruiseroutfit said:
4x4's with the TRD will always have it. It could also be a dealer option however I can't say I've seen an 01-04 non-TRD with the locker... earlier models, but not the 01-04.

The swap requires the complete axle assembly from a Tacoma, the 3rd members are NOT interchangeable (8" versus whats commonly known as the 8.4")

In all reality, a hub-hub axle swap is almost less work than a 3rd member swap... if that makes you feel any better :D

I've seen one or 2, but not very often. Non TRD truck with the locker. A friend has an 04 D-cab with the factory E-locker, and the rest of the truck was deff not TRD!

Just a little more info,
Mike

cruiseroutfit

MandAtaco said:
I've seen one or 2, but not very often. Non TRD truck with the locker. A friend has an 04 D-cab with the factory E-locker, and the rest of the truck was deff not TRD!

Just a little more info,
Mike

Good to know... it seems that 95% of the Tacomas sold in Utah were TRD & 4x4, actually pretty rare to see a 2WD truck Tacoma... so the odds are likely a bit different here :D

cruiseroutfit

anthony1 said:
Another option is to do a retro-fit. E-locker with mod to the axle housing then add a cable lock from Downey Offroad. That's what I did and it works great.
Cost? about 400 for the locker and about 100 (old price) for the cable conversion kit.
Here's a website of the guy that helped me with mine.
http://67.122.16.97/carterman/4runner/mods/locker/

While this is a great option for a standard 8" housing (ie 79-85 PU/4Runner F&R and later IFS models rear only) it is NOT an option for the non factory e-locked Tacomas. Again they have whats known as an 8.4" differential, short of cutting the flange 3rd member mounting surface from a true 8" housing and welding it to the 8.4" housing, its not possible. Completely different bolt pattern.

njtacoma

Explorer
Non - TRD Locker trucks

I have one of those rare non-TRD locker equipped trucks. I think it is regional as far as availability.
Here on the front range of Colorado there seemed to be quite a few, but its hard to tell without looking underneath or at the dash. When I was shopping for mine new, I had choice of atleast 10 or so new and in stock on dealer lots. In fact my dealer had 3, and 2 of them were identical white double cabs.
In hindsight I kind of wish I had gottent he TRD, but I originally planned to do suspension work long before now.:oops: .. oh, well.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
Good to know... it seems that 95% of the Tacomas sold in Utah were TRD & 4x4, actually pretty rare to see a 2WD truck Tacoma... so the odds are likely a bit different here :D

In SoCal, it's the other way around. Most Tacomas in SoCal are 2WD.

cruiseroutfit

Rallyroo said:
In SoCal, it's the other way around. Most Tacomas in SoCal are 2WD.

Different markets... we get very, very few 2WD models of any brand. Makes finding a 4WD truck easy :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan