e-mail on ham

gary in ohio

Explorer
hillbillyjake said:
the only reason i would need e mail on my ham is to send messages like " need help..." or " be home tomorrow". that would be the extent of it. pesronally, i have a better chance of reaching someone threw a simpke e-mail than on the radio they dont have. that is what i would want it for. if the 2800 could be made capabl of this for a reasonable price that would be great, but if not i will look into it more the next time i buy a radio.

jake

As a general rule the 2800 will NOT be able to reliably meet your needs. Even if your in the US in a populated area, there are no reliable email systems to connect to send email to someone. Even if your just talking about the US, there are clusters of areas using winlink for email, other area's using dstar, some areas still on raw tcp/ip.

i would be 100% in the US and 95% in WV maybe GWNF in VA. i will look into the other options. if i cant figure something out i will just try to get somem other people in my family to get 2m radio! thanks for all the info.

jake

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
gary in ohio said:
Email doesnt run on top of APRS
I understood that running something like IGate allows TCP/IP layer routing on the AX.25 link, using such did make sending Internet email possible. It would depend naturally on whether or not the repeater was capable of it and has an Internet gateway, but technically I thought this was possible to do with APRS-IS.

gary in ohio

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
I understood that running something like IGate allows TCP/IP layer routing on the AX.25 link, using such did make sending Internet email possible. It would depend naturally on whether or not the repeater was capable of it and has an Internet gateway, but technically I thought this was possible to do with APRS-IS.

Your mixing functions. APRS is an application. X.25 and tcp/ip is a network. Yes you can run tcp/ip using several software packages over ham radio, but you need someone on the other end to make it work. Your NOT going to use a voice repeater to pass data and Unless the local packet network support tcp/ip your out of luck, Even if it does is there an internet tie or is it AMPR network only.
Yes it can be done, No its not universially available, heck your lucky to find a working packet station anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan