E350 7.3 ECM - anybody have one?

philos

Explorer
The ECM on my van has taken a dump. I can only find them for $500 on ebay and I've called every junkyard I can find.
Anyone have one they'd sell me?
part# 1c2f-12a650-aje
DPC code # - 455
letter code - IQW4
03' E350 superduty with CA emissions.

Yeah, it's kind of a unicorn hunt. I'll buy the ebay unit if I can't find one soon...

philos

Explorer
had a look at rock auto and a couple others, but the part numbers don't always line up. Then I'd have to get it to someone to have it flashed at some cost.
I searched for Ford specific ECM repair and called two shops, neither of which would touch mine... The link to the guys JB1RD used looks promising, I'll give them a shout.

thanks!

philos

Explorer
Just called, nice guy on the phone. Got quote for $295 for the repair, $100 bench charge if they don't find anything wrong with the ECM which is a nice touch. They upcharge $40 to overnight it back, but standard UPS is included with the repair price. 3-5 days to fix it, then ship it back. Looks like if I can't find one this is my route.
Thanks again for the link!

philos

Explorer
Are you sure the ECM is bad? Kinda rare for the ecu to go bad.

yup.
I had a P0708 code (still do), so I replaced the sensor. Still had a code, so I poked around with my multimeter and couldn't find anything funky. I then submitted and sent it to a local transmission shop; they spent a little over a week going through the harness, etc. They're convinced its the ECM, but they couldn't find one local/used. I didn't want to pay their markup on a new unit so it's at home now still in limp home mode...

philos

Explorer
A quick update, while calling the above ebay seller talk more about ordering their ECM, she mentioned that they'll repair my ECM for $200 including ground shipping. She said that if the ECM was good it'd only be $100 for the bench test! WOOT!!!! If my ECM is bad and can not be rebuilt/repaired then I just buy the one on the shelf. The world shall be right again... Well it'll be right-er, I still need to R&R the AC stuff.

r_w

Adventurer
Are you sure the ECM is bad? Kinda rare for the ecu to go bad.

They have electrolytic capacitors which have started failing fairly regularly. "It will fail in the first 20 minutes or it will last 20 years" Guess what, they are approaching 20 years...

nely

Adventurer
yup.
I had a P0708 code (still do), so I replaced the sensor. Still had a code, so I poked around with my multimeter and couldn't find anything funky. I then submitted and sent it to a local transmission shop; they spent a little over a week going through the harness, etc. They're convinced its the ECM, but they couldn't find one local/used. I didn't want to pay their markup on a new unit so it's at home now still in limp home mode...

Did you use a ford/motorcraft transmission range sensor?

Glad to hear you found the pcm needed. Good luck with the replacement.

philos

Explorer
Did you use a ford/motorcraft transmission range sensor?

I used a Dorman product. Tested it after I couldn't clear the code (thought it could be a dud) and the pin-outs were giving the correct voltage in each gear... That was when I gave up and took it to a shop.

philos

Explorer
Nely was right. ECM is fine. I'm only out $110 including my shipping both ways, so it's an easy hit I guess...
Back to the ol' drawing board!

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears