E350 Interior noise and steering?

iggi

Ian
I'll pop my doghouse off next week and get some pics. With the insulated ambulance box it's quite apparent that all the noise is coming through the cab.
It's not super surprising as it's just rubber mat over the floors. Even had some holes through the floor from removing the center console. Plugged those today with expanding foam.

5spd97

Also check your up pipes to the turbo for signs of leaking. I held a piece of paper towel near the top joint with the engine running and you could se it being blown by the escaping exhaust. As a matter of fact check all of the exhaust connections for signs of leaks.

r27d

I put Noico 80mil down first in the entire cab area and then Uxcell 394mil down on the entire floor (took five 60x40" rolls) of my '98 7.3 E350 and my noise dropped so much I wasn't sure the van was running the first time. I'll take some dB readings on my drive tomorrow but I've been very happy. I am planning on putting on a 4" exhaust soon though.

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
Great to hear. My order of Noico just showed up this week.

I put Noico 80mil down first in the entire cab area and then Uxcell 394mil down on the entire floor (took five 60x40" rolls) of my '98 7.3 E350 and my noise dropped so much I wasn't sure the van was running the first time. I'll take some dB readings on my drive tomorrow but I've been very happy. I am planning on putting on a 4" exhaust soon though.

iggi

Ian

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

Let us know how it works out... :D

Cruising around town I can ask the kids questions at the back of the truck +/- 12’ away without anyone having to raise their voice to answer. Under normal/moderate acceleration, we have to raise our voices somewhat to be hear each other from the back... talking to each other in the front seat isn’t difficult.

Eventually, when I replace the underpad beneath the front OEM rubber mat, I’d like to install some soundproofing underneath the mat in the cabin. My wife doesn’t feel it’s a necessary expense, but when I told her what it would cost, she agreed that it wouldn’t harm anything.

It sounds like the OP has been chasing noise trying to reduce it but still has 10X+ the noise I enjoy. That said, if noise had been an issue, the ambulance drivers up here would have refused to drive rigs with 7.3 PSD engines... rather than refusing to drive anything other than a Ford E350 with a 7.3 PSD and a Crestline box on the back.

I knew a city planner would had his arm twisted by the upfitter into a free trial of Ambulances based on a Sprinter Chassis... even after having one to drive for several months. They still only wanted a Type III with a Crestline Box ;)

iggi

Ian
I'm curious if different builds received different levels of sound insulation? You'd think that mine and @Bikersmurf would be pretty similar in noise (both Crestlines, both E350's and I can't see the 6.0 being that much noisier than the 7.3) but on last weekends trip my passenger was measuring the sound levels and we hit 91 DB at highway speed up hills. (110 KPH)

I pulled the doghouse and floor mat this evening. The seal seemed fine but there's just a single layer of sound deadening in the dog house plus the insulated foil. Floor are almost uninsulated with just a tiny bit of padding under the mat. I've got a box of Noico 80mm I'll be installing shortly.

iggi

Ian
A dB app is worthless without calibration... to compensate for the sensitivity of the mic in your phone/tablet

I expect that regardless of calibration that the dB range would be accurate? Or am I wrong about that as well? ;) I'm seeing a 30 dB difference between coasting with the engine at idle and the engine hauling up hills.
Regardless of all that.. my ears tell me that it's way too loud. It's exhausting to drive for more than a couple hours.

iggi

Ian
Thanks David!

The dB difference, from one measure to the next, using the same device, if using the same weighing scale (dB a vs dB c etc...) should be accurate, but if you compare your absolute numbers with someone else’s using a differrent instrument... they will not necessarily be the same or relevant to each other

Your ears matter, and like you have said, they are telling you what you need to know...

One device that may help you, is a set of bose noise cancelling over the ear headphones... which you can use simply the noise cancelling or add via Bluetooth music or audio books, for the meantime, as you work the problem... I have had several rigs, some larger, some vans... and those headphones, help to alleviate a lot of noise fatigue, as well as in airplanes... even in the best of rigs...

That type of fatigue is real... and those bose have helped me a lot

Or here is a new set w noise cancelling microphones for phone calls...

iggi

Ian
Quick update.

Covered the floor in a single layer of Noico 80mm. Two layers up by the feet and the bit of metal engine cowl where the cover connects.
Added a layer of Noico inside the doghouse, (two layers where I could) plus a layer on the outside over the spots with the thinnest insulation on the inside.
Plus sprayed a few layers of bedliner over the entire dog house inside and out, plus on the spots in the cab that were hard to insulate otherwise.

Simply closing the door sounds different (and I haven't done the door yet).

The sound is a lot less harsh. Oddly I can hear the turbo easier but the clatter from the injection is far less prominent.

Only did a short test drive so this isnt an apples to apples comparison but full throttle I was only able to hit 79 db instead of the low 90's that I could before.

Attachments

• IMG_9687.jpg
    IMG_9687.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9702.jpg
    IMG_9702.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9706.jpg
    IMG_9706.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9722.jpg
    IMG_9722.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 53

iggi

Ian
Hey @r27d

Did you try the Uxcell inside the doghouse?
Wondering if it would tolerate the heat and provide better sound dampening than the factory fibre heat shield.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

r27d

Hey @r27d

Did you try the Uxcell inside the doghouse?
Wondering if it would tolerate the heat and provide better sound dampening than the factory fibre heat shield.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I didn’t do anything with the doghouse and my van is still 80+ decibels on the highway. I don’t think the uxcell would do ok on the inside but I’m interested in hearing how your setup holds up.

iggi

Ian
Just back from a weekend trip. Huge reduction in perceived noise level. The biggest source of engine noise still seems to transfer through the doghouse so this week I'm adding a full layer of the Noico product to the outside of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78