E350 tech question - rear end clunking

I'm having an issue with the rear differential/drive shaft on my van. It has a rotational clunking sound on acceleration and deceleration between 0 and 5 km/h when the wheels are turned. It doesn't happen when the wheel is straight. I've read quite a bit on different forums and most people say it's the slip yoke/drive shaft spline.

I took it apart at a camp site 5 days ago and greased it with Mobil synthetic grease and put it all back together. When I pulled out of the camp site, turning left at low speed I didn't hear the clunk so I thought it was fixed. Then later that day the noise came back and it's been present ever since.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to get all the bugs worked out before we hit Mexico in a few days.
Thanks,
Robbie

tgreening

Expedition Leader
4x4 van? If so you've got two more ujoints up front that need checking. My guess, one of those.

If not 4x4, and it only happens when you're making a turn, I'm guessing it's in the diff. I can't see where the slip yoke would care one way or the other about whether the the wheels are turned or not.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd guess diff. My first thought was ring gear, but that'd also clunk when going straight.

I'd not leave the country without carefully inspecting that rear axle and replacing as necessary.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
If you have a factory limited slip, and I'll bet you do, it is the clutches in the diff and you only need to add some friction modifier. Get it from any FORD Dealer or any axle and gear shop. It is not generally carried at parts stores, but some might have it. Costs about $10.

I'm driving from San Diego to Cabo on Wednesday - maybe we will cross paths.

If you have a factory limited slip, and I'll bet you do, it is the clutches in the diff and you only need to add some friction modifier. Get it from any FORD Dealer or any axle and gear shop. It is not generally carried at parts stores, but some might have it. Costs about $10.

I'm driving from San Diego to Cabo on Wednesday - maybe we will cross paths.

Thanks for this. I'll give this a try and hopefully it works!

Maybe we'll see you in Mexico. Cheers!

I have the friction modifier so I'm going to put it in today and see what happens. Will let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Had that happen with a Jeep of mine, but it wasnt a clunk. That sucker would bang so hard you'd have thought the diff exploded. New fluid and some magic sauce and it was right as rain.

Good call on the lsd though. Hopefully that'll get you golden again. If not, time to pull the cover.

d35eff1ec3de72630577cb276a863390.jpg

The service plug in the diff cover was seized so I got a new cover and installed it with new oil and the clunking is gone! So the previous owner either used the wrong gear oil or it just needed to be changed. It was fairly dark and seemed like it has lost some of its viscosity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman