Early style compass reset

I have a 97 and a 98 Montero, the compass on both can be reset easily, hold the S down until it spins, then slowly drive in a circle (backwards usually works well). I recently put this older center gauge pod on from a 94/95 because I like the look better, but the compass has been a pain to reset, it's a different style, not a spinning circle, but a rotating band. I took it to a big parking lot, held the S button until the characters spin, then drove in small circles, big circles, clockwise circles, counter clockwise circles, backwards circles, 4 quadrant circle, 3 full circles, but nothing would calibrate it. Anyone here have this same style and confirm the correct procedure? Thanks!
20210625_160133.jpg

Attachments

• 20210625_161046.jpg
    20210625_161046.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Cookout

Same issue here. Tried it all. May retrofit a 98 compass that came with my gen2.5 in the 95 cluster i swapped in.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Someone here has got to have an answer…..I’d image the procedure would be in an owners manual for that year and model. I wonder if interference from the other gauges in the cluster could be a factor. Could you play with it outside the vehicle maybe, with a 12v power supply and do some bench tests?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
That's the right procedure, I wonder why it doesn't work. It's possible the antenna(?) isn't fully connected, I don't know. The button on the left of the display isn't present on later models and serves to calibrate the declination (as I recall) to give a correction to the compass for your location to improve accuracy. I wonder if that's so far out of whack that it's messing with the unit itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998