EarthCruiser EC4 ("Cocky") leaving OZ yesterday bound for Overland Expo at Flagstaff

Bandicoot

Adventurer
EarthCruiser EC4 ("Cocky") leaving OZ yesterday bound for Overland Expo at Flagstaff

After 5 years wandering around Oz, we packed EC4 ("Cocky") into a shipping container yesterday bound for Long Beach Calif. Our 10 year plan is to spend 2 years in the western third of Nth America, 2 years in Central and Sth Am, 2 years traversing Africa, 2 years around Europe and then 2 years back to Oz via Asia.
So we may see some of you at Flagstaff if you'll be there.
To spruce Cocky up a bit, we've added some decals and gone from mud to finery! Whether the finery will be there once we get to Expo is another matter! Probably going to Baja California for a month first.
Rick (and Julie)

EC4 at Arubiddy.jpg

IMG_1483 (600x450).jpg

IMG_1482 (600x450).jpg

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
The decals look great. Did you source them locally? Have a great trip,it sounds an amazing plan. Safe travels

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Now THAT is a trip, hopefully you'll have some nice trip reports while in action.

I look forward to meeting you folks at the OE this year, and seeing what you've done.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Now there is one more good reason for me to get there. The EC's are outstanding vehicles and I would love to chat with you about your travels and experiences with it. GL on the journey!! The Expo world in envious.

Fugly

Adventurer
Good onya...
Enjoy be safe have fun ....
Keep us all up to date on your travels story's and pic's....

Cheers Fugly

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Hopefully we will catch up with some of you at least at some point. Flag us down if you need to!!!
We'll be the nervous looking ones driving a RHD vehicle on the "wrong" side of the road!!:Wow1:

Ozjourney

After driving some 50,000 on the wrong side, just remember to drive in the gutter and have you passenger to direct any overtaking.
In Europe we just drove at 80kph which is the truck speed and not even think about over taking.
The worst is when you drive out onto the road say from a service station or shop you often turn the wrong way, especially if there is no traffic passing to guide you.

Great to see another Aussie driving overseas, you'll really enjoy it.

Steve

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Rick

You won't be the only ones on the wrong side........ Penelope and Ian from Lismore will be there in Global Warrior006. Their truck should be almost on the water by now. Shipping ex Brisneyland . They're planning to start a three trip with OVEX as the kick off.

When is your shipping my date? Obviously your front diff got sorted . Don't suppose Guy is heading over too is he?

Kind Regards John

Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
you get used to it in no time. The only time I need help is when turning right onto a road at an oblique angle. At 90 degrees junctions you can see out of the passenger window, and at on-ramps onto the freeway you can see out of the wing mirror, but anything in-between requires passenger assistance.

I'd much rather drive a right hand drive vehicle on the wrong side of the road than have to change position in the vehicle and relearn my spatial awareness and gear changes. When I drove American vehicles I found it extremely hard to position myself correctly in the lane, I had to constantly use the wing mirrors to gauge how central I was

BCrockcrawler

It was nice to have a quick chat with you in a Tim Hortons in Nanaimo BC today. I do hope you check out Bamfield. You can always PM me while on Vancouver Island if you need some advice, or help.

Cheers,

Rory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998