EarthCruiser - flat bed - pass through option

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
G`day All
Feed back from a discerning audience is greatly appreciated.
The engineering crew is getting serious about building EarthCruiser EXP (lifting roof) on USA built pick up truck.
Our thoughts are to offer two options.
Option one with pass through, camper is permanently mounted.
Option two is mounted to a flat bed and be removable.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 7.01.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 7.01.52 PM.png
Either way to get the weight distribution to work there will be a convertible dinette in the rear. We debated long and hard about doing the traditional cab over option. Key reason is to make use of many many accessories for bikes, skies or roof top tents (so Mum and Dad get some privacy) .

Interior will be very familiar to those who have been inside an EarthCruiser EXP. Nothing beats the space and weight capacity of a cab over truck like a FUSO, this might be a good nice compromise.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Flat bed
Removable
Could still be done with a pass through, and a detachable, sealable port. Either design the mold so that it covers standard vehicle types and their rear windows, or opt for a flat panel that can be custom cut, then run a bellows system that replaces the rear window on the cab. Extra points if you can replace the cab rear window with a module that has a secure, but easily detachable rear window that would be removable when the camper is installed, and the bellows for the pass through are attached.

lanceatm

Flat bed
Removable
Could still be done with a pass through, and a detachable, sealable port. Either design the mold so that it covers standard vehicle types and their rear windows, or opt for a flat panel that can be custom cut, then run a bellows system that replaces the rear window on the cab. Extra points if you can replace the cab rear window with a module that has a secure, but easily detachable rear window that would be removable when the camper is installed, and the bellows for the pass through are attached.
Like it , question - is the rear window a consumable item ?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hmmm...interesting idea and question.

I would think "no" to the consumable item. I would still like to see some kind of security there when the flatbed is empty, so still either a removable laminated safety glass panel, or maybe one of the polycarbonates? Problem with the poly is they scratch like crazy. Another way to look into it is maybe using a decently sized Dometic window as an insert? Because we all know how easy they come off once you release the arms, don't we? :D lol

Skinhyfish

Observer
Both, only thing about pass through, it limits resale of truck.. Flatbed is nice so you can switch or upgrade truck down rode with ease

Keyne

Adventurer
What I would really want is a an EXP that I could put on a Ford Transit cutaway chassis... Similar to the Iveco daily builds you can swivel the front seats to be part of the camper section. Also, with the transit I could get the economical gas engine and not have to deal with diesel for S. America. Add a Quigley 4x4 conversion and that is pretty perfect...

Runt

Adventurer
Flat bed
Removable

^ This.....just what he said!

lanceatm

Keyne do you think the transit cuts the mustard off road, i have zero experience driving them in 4x4. I had a chat to Quigley at overland East last year, from what i can gather there a bit limited on tyre size etc if they want to keep warranty. For a vehicle builder like us getting a off the shelf cut away is very nice if the chassis is going to meet our customers expectations.

Keyne

Adventurer
Keyne do you think the transit cuts the mustard off road, i have zero experience driving them in 4x4. I had a chat to Quigley at overland East last year, from what i can gather there a bit limited on tyre size etc if they want to keep warranty. For a vehicle builder like us getting a off the shelf cut away is very nice if the chassis is going to meet our customers expectations.

I haven't driven one either, but we have a 144 Sprinter based RV and love that size and driving style. The cutaway Sprinters are not available in the US with 4x4 and the modern diesels are a problem in S. America, hence the Transit option. For our off road needs I think a van based vehicle would be fine. You already have the pick-up truck based GZL's available for those that want more off road capability. Depending on cost a Transit based EXP could make sense as an entry into the Earthcruiser world? For instance, if it cost $200K then a Fuso would be more appropriate but if you could be competitive in the $110K or less range (e.g. similar price to a Winnebago Revel) I think the better design, build, and capability could be a great product.

However... on the other end of the spectrum... if you want to go with a pick-up truck based version. I agree above that a pass through would hurt the re-sale factor. If you build an EXP on a flat bed without a pass through you could conceivable make it removable. It would be great to have use of the truck without the camper during the week and be able to remove the EXP camper module as a base camp. I always thought that would be a great use for a truck camper and an advantage even over the truck based adventure vehicles (e.g. Fuso, Earthroam, etc.). Designing in a usable base camp module (e.g. jack system, and maybe fold able under camper support for use in camp) system would be offering something currently not available (although I believe Blissmobil has a system).

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'm pretty sure that in some states a flatbed has to be registered as a commercial vehicle.

Also if it's perma-mount it's an RV for registration and insurance, removable is truck+camper -possibly commercial truck (flatbed)+camper.

Ozjourney

Definitely option 2, having a removable means a lot more weight as you need a tray, which means smaller range and less payload. To build an expeditiion vehical on a pick up is very compromising to stay under weight.

I think with your experience you would be able to build a really light body which would make this a very good vehical

I look very seriously at the Earthcruiser and the cab height made access too difficult for my wife, and are now looking at a pick-up design.

Finally from a business prospective ‘Option 2 ‘would sit nicely between the GZL and the Earthcruiser, were as ‘option 1’ is an alternative to the GZL and would just divide the sales as opposed to generating new customers.

If you go Option 2 you may just have your first customer.

lanceatm

Excellent info, thank you all. We have a shell that we are going to start to mock up next week :)

The Artisan

Adventurer
I thought about something similar. When the camper was off the flatbed I was going to bolt a utility box to the flatbed and it would fit inside the opening as well. This would seal it. It could be used for storage inside and outside the cab.
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78