EarthCruiser is closing!?!?!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I kinda thought the Expedition Forum here was the de facto "potential" owners group for these vehicles. That's how I used it when I was researching.

Howard - is the ECOG independent and run by the owners or is it hosted/paid for/intertwined with EC? I got the sense it was the latter - hoping it was the former.

Howard70

Adventurer
I kinda thought the Expedition Forum here was the de facto "potential" owners group for these vehicles. That's how I used it when I was researching.

Howard - is the ECOG independent and run by the owners or is it hosted/paid for/intertwined with EC? I got the sense it was the latter - hoping it was the former.
Waveslider:

ECOG is completely independent of both EarthCruiser Australia and EarthCruiser USA. The group was started by an Australian before EarthCruisers were produced in the USA and is currently adminstered by that bloke and two Yanks. EarthCruiser USA has a proprietary web portal and owner’s forum which is still up. I think a lot of current Australian owners communicate via a Facebook group.

I agree with you - I’ve always treated Expedition Portal threads as “potential owners groups”. Several EarthCruiser owners have posted here quite a bit in the past both in direct responses to questions asked by interested folks and as general information. Several have also responded to many direct messages about EarthCruisers. Someone interested in that information could search for it via usernames, etc.

Howard Snell

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yeah. It’s a shame the owners didn’t create and join an independent owners forum to store all that valuable information. That would have been smart.

View attachment 832247

How many ECs roam this earth? A few hundred maybe? Who wants to pay for a forum site, manage and administer it, over time, for a few hundred total members? It's not like the Corvette owners forum, with thousands of owners!

Why not just post information on a site that already exists, in a category of expedition vehicles......like Expedition Campers on Expedition Portal?

Why reinvent the wheel?

Adventr.us

I appreciate the information on this portal, and certainly use it for research. I check for new threads of interest most every day. But, it's a question of quantity and breadth of the content. On the ECOG, it looks like there's dozens, occasionally hundreds, of messages each month. The most recent thread I found here - not counting "for sale" or "EC is closing" threads - was a single thread in January.

When I was researching our Opus 15 camper - likewise a niche product with dozens or hundreds of unit in the field, not thousands - I found and joined a fakebook group called Opus Campers Owner Group. There may be some content here on Expedition Portal, but I didn't find much back then, and it was scattered. On the dedicated fakebook "owners group", I asked a few questions to current owners, but mostly just read all the posts, saw what people loved/hated, watched their creative solutions. Then I pulled the trigger and bought one. Once I owned the unit, I gave back content to the community in the same way - and directly fielded many questions from prospective buyers myself. It was easy because all the relevant content - and more importantly, a critical mass of it - was in one place. Then when I went to sell my unit, I just put a "coming soon" post in the fakebook group - and a "prospective owner" in the group bought it, at a fair-to-both-of-us price, before I even had to advertise or consign it somewhere. Mostly because they had full confidence in what they were getting - because THEY spent time in the owners group.

Just figured something like that would help current EC owners slow down erosion of their resale values.

Interestingly enough, someone just recently stood up an "Earthcruiser and CORE Owners and Insiders" group on fakebook (launched April 24) and it's up to 84 members already. We'll see if they approve my request to join.

Sorry. I'm done. I'll consider this horse dead. :)

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
I appreciate the information on this portal, and certainly use it for research. I check for new threads of interest most every day. But, it's a question of quantity and breadth of the content. On the ECOG, it looks like there's dozens, occasionally hundreds, of messages each month. The most recent thread I found here - not counting "for sale" or "EC is closing" threads - was a single thread in January.

When I was researching our Opus 15 camper - likewise a niche product with dozens or hundreds of unit in the field, not thousands - I found and joined a fakebook group called Opus Campers Owner Group. There may be some content here on Expedition Portal, but I didn't find much back then, and it was scattered. On the dedicated fakebook "owners group", I asked a few questions to current owners, but mostly just read all the posts, saw what people loved/hated, watched their creative solutions. Then I pulled the trigger and bought one. Once I owned the unit, I gave back content to the community in the same way - and directly fielded many questions from prospective buyers myself. It was easy because all the relevant content - and more importantly, a critical mass of it - was in one place. Then when I went to sell my unit, I just put a "coming soon" post in the fakebook group - and a "prospective owner" in the group bought it, at a fair-to-both-of-us price, before I even had to advertise or consign it somewhere. Mostly because they had full confidence in what they were getting - because THEY spent time in the owners group.

Just figured something like that would help current EC owners slow down erosion of their resale values.

Interestingly enough, someone just recently stood up an "Earthcruiser and CORE Owners and Insiders" group on fakebook (launched April 24) and it's up to 84 members already. We'll see if they approve my request to join.

Sorry. I'm done. I'll consider this horse dead. :)
It really looks like you're digging up info for nefarious means. They may or may not add you to their group, but Opus and ER are completely different planes of existence. As before, the level of disposable income to have an ER means they don't worry about what others think, especially as general for sale posts become virtual tirekickers for people like you that aren't buying one anyway.

You keep on posting here about information you think you're entitled to...and you're not. Pretty simple stuff.

ReluctantTraveler

It really looks like you're digging up info for nefarious means. They may or may not add you to their group, but Opus and ER are completely different planes of existence. As before, the level of disposable income to have an ER means they don't worry about what others think, especially as general for sale posts become virtual tirekickers for people like you that aren't buying one anyway.

You keep on posting here about information you think you're entitled to...and you're not. Pretty simple stuff.
Not the vibe I'm picking up AT ALL.

Howard70

Adventurer
Well, fair enough. But you're missing the point.

I'll agree that there's a point being missed. I'll disagree about who's missing it.

But, that's OK as we're all different folks with various expectations, etc. One good thing is we all share a common Interest in getting out and about in the backcountry.

I'm happy to attempt answering specific questions about EarthCruiser vehicles (not the company, not people, but vehicles). I know little about Terra Novas and the Izuz based trucks, slightly more about Fuso based trucks and am most comfortable answering queries about 2018 and earlier EXP and FX models. Full disclosure - I actually like the Duonic transmission (that should taint my opinions!) and I have no business or financial interests in the company but I do like the folks involved.

Howard Snell

klahanie

daydream believer
Bumpy tread. My interest with these - if I have one - is usually "what about the workers / the creditors". As usual, we're none the wiser.

I've stayed out up until now having been schooled from Hallmark back to ER that comments from the unwashed, ignorant peanut gallery are not much appreciated.

This time we've gone from, "did someone hop it with the loot / what do you expect from a foreigner" to "if you have to ask ... / we don't allow your type in here anyway".

Fun.

The recent angle, what support might one expect as a future owner, is interesting. Safest bet, prob, "you're on your tod".

Adventr.us

Haha. Not feeling entitled to anything. I think you've done a lot of pre-judging of both me and current EC owners. Oh well, honestly, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to buy in the next year or two ...

ReluctantTraveler

Bumpy tread. My interest with these - if I have one - is usually "what about the workers / the creditors". As usual, we're none the wiser.

I've stayed out up until now having been schooled from Hallmark back to ER that comments from the unwashed, ignorant peanut gallery are not much appreciated.

This time we've gone from, "did someone hop it with the loot / what do you expect from a foreigner" to "if you have to ask ... / we don't allow your type in here anyway".

Fun.

The recent angle, what support might one expect as a future owner, is interesting. Safest bet, prob, "you're on your tod".
Oh god someone did the xenophobia thing? Gross.

That must be what the mod was referring to. I thankfully missed that.

utherjorge

Observer
Haha. Not feeling entitled to anything. I think you've done a lot of pre-judging of both me and current EC owners. Oh well, honestly, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to buy in the next year or two ...
Sorry: not prejudging current EC owners at all. But do keep trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78