EarthCruiser is closing!?!?!

ReluctantTraveler

Just got the following email from them...

EarthCruiser USA, LLC, a leading manufacturer of off-road expedition vehicles, announced it has ceased operations after 16 years of innovation in the overland travel industry. The company's last day of operations will be April 25, 2024.

Since its founding in 2008, EarthCruiser has been at the forefront of designing and manufacturing vehicles that have taken intrepid adventurers to the most remote corners of the globe. The company’s product line includes the EXP, FX, and Terranova models, as well as the recently unveiled GMC HUMMER EV EarthCruiser Upfit.

Despite EarthCruiser's many successes, changing market dynamics and economic challenges have made it increasingly difficult to sustain operations going forward. The decision to close the business was not taken lightly, but after careful consideration and in-depth strategic analysis the company has made the decision to wind down operations in its current form.

"Our journey over the past years has been extraordinary. We are incredibly grateful to our loyal customers, dedicated employees, and industry partners for their support and trust in our brand," said Lance Gillies, EarthCruiser CIO and Founder. "Although this decision marks the end of an era, we are proud of our legacy and impact on the world of travel, automotive innovation, and overlanding. We hope our vehicles, our customers, and their stories will continue to inspire the adventurous spirit in all of us."

The EarthCruiser team wants to thank the overlanding community and supporters for being a part of its story.
I'm so sad!

There goes my dream of owning one. Used market, sure, but without a company to fulfill warranty work... I'd be pretty bummed if I had a newly purchased one right about now.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Extremely sorry to hear that news. :( They sure made some nice stuff.
No dog in this show (although I do own a GZL) but this might be a useful addition.

The law firm that's involved with the receivership:
Tabor Law Group | Commercial Bankruptcy & Receivership Law
4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd. PMB #506 | Portland, OR 97214

ReluctantTraveler

I really appreciated the attention to detail they put into their designs. While not for everyone, everything they did was with a purpose and for a reason.

Huh. I wonder what that means?

Probably just marketing/legalese speak.

I'm not sure if this is a bankruptcy that will involve a restructuring . Seems likely given the message at the end of the email—which I omitted—around their law firm and something about creditors, and how quickly they shut down operations.

gdaut

I know nothing about the situation at EC, but it looks like this may be a re-org, or lead to an asset sale where EC or some similar entity comes back. IIRC, EarthRoamer declared bankruptcy sometime after the 2008 financial crisis; they came back strong. XP Camper more recently went under, and Nimbl emerged as the predecessor company after an asset purchase. Hopefully something works out for EC and the employees there.

ReluctantTraveler

I know nothing about the situation at EC, but it looks like this may be a re-org, or lead to an asset sale where EC or some similar entity comes back. IIRC, EarthRoamer declared bankruptcy sometime after the 2008 financial crisis; they came back strong. XP Camper more recently went under, and Nimbl emerged as the predecessor company after an asset purchase. Hopefully something works out for EC and the employees there.
It sure does look that way based on the language used. Huge bummer during the transition period, though.

martinf

Sad but not surprising news. Big shout out to the EC family for what they've accomplished in those past 16 years and for their contributions on this forum

ReluctantTraveler

Sad but not surprising news. Big shout out to the EC family for what they've accomplished in those past 16 years and for their contributions on this forum
Why not surprising?

Agree strongly on the contributions. I was delighted when Lance jumped into one of my threads to explain how EC handles working within payloads on their vehicles and how you might apply that to a DIY rig.

cogden

Just got the following email from them...

I'm so sad!

There goes my dream of owning one. Used market, sure, but without a company to fulfill warranty work... I'd be pretty bummed if I had a newly purchased one right about now.
Agreed about bummer of woes for EC's under warranty needing work. However, perhaps a bit of good news is that Nimbl has a track record of doing EC service work (albeit one would have to pay out of pocket, but at least there's an option to get work done!)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just an FYI for those interested, there is a parallel thread here:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just an FYI for those interested, there is a parallel thread here:

thanks, so I don't need to post twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12