EarthCruiser Overland Vehicles

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
This was too good not to share - the vegie mite Quesadilla

Hiya Lance:

The vegemite is great, so thank you for sharing!
Howard is not a fan so I don't have to share it! :-D

I found something even easier than making toast & Vegemite.

Vegemite Quesadilla.

On 1/2 of the flour tortilla, spread with vegemite, add a slice of cheese on the vegemite, fold in half then
Microwave 10 - 20 seconds. Or just enough to melt the cheese and warm the tortilla.
enjoy

In New Mexico I add some roasted green chile slices too when I have them.
We got back in time for green chile roasting season!

By the way: We are getting together MORE photos of Prima Terra, but there is so much to be done since we have been gone for so long!

Prima Terra and I totally bonded the 10 days Howard was climbing in Wyoming and I drove her EVERYWHERE.
Long distances and several very challenging dirt roads. They were extra challenging since it was just Abo and I.

I LOVE driving the EC beyond all vehicles I have ever driven. Comfortable and very capable!
We drove our Tacoma yesterday to check out a field class site, and we both said at the same time, THIS IS AWFUL we feel like we are in a car!
No vistas, no comfort. Boy did we laugh...
However, Abo was happy because he got his window open for much of the low speed part of the trip.

cheers,
heidi

tommesch

Question about water system

When pulling water from a stream or lake, is there any filter before the water hits the storage tanks?

Also, if a filter was to be applied, is there any concern on that restricting and burning out the pump?

Thanks!!

-tom

Bandicoot

Adventurer
We use a stainless steel sand filter consisting of a series of disks held together. Works well and also keeps the "pick up" on the bottom of the lake/creek/bucket etc. Keeps particulate matter out but doesn't help with muddy-coloured water.
Collecting water #2, IMG_0097.jpg
Collecting water #1, IMG_0096.jpg
PS: above photos are of fresh water running down the beach, not salt water!
The pump also has a build-in strainer on its inlet so should be protected from damage anyhow. The strainer is easily accessible for cleaning.
Neither of these (the sand filter or the in-line built-in strainer) has any measureable impact on the pump performance or suction head.
With muddy water, I have been using a large fibre fabric filter. This certainly does have an impact on the pump performance. But it still works at least when I have carried the muddy water up from (say) the creek and then put the bucket above the filter (see pic). This avoids sucking air into the filter and then into the pump. Water is basically "clean" after going through this filter. It takes probably twice as long (perhaps more) to fill the tank going through this fabric filter, compared to the sand filter.
And the EC comes with its own inline steriliser which completes the process of providing potable water from basically any source.
EC suction with filter. Note bucket of water must be ABOVE the filter 1.jpg
Rick

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Depends. If you are basically travelling every 2nd day (hence alternator charging) OR you park in the sun (and there is sun!) AND you are not using power to run laptops for hours each day etc, then you can get by with the EC standard electrical system (3 x 68 watts solar panels, 2 x 115 A-hr AGM house batteries [ignoring the 2xFuso standard start (cranking) batteries].
However, if you are in the machine for extended periods (months...) and if you want to park in the shade at times, or there is extended wet/cloudy weather then you will need an external power input. Even if you have sunshine and park in the sun we have found that if both wife and I are running our laptops for 6 to 8 hours (say a day working on the internet), then we are draining the house batteries.
We don't have any microwaves or other high-demand devices; the only things we run would be laptops.
Bear in mind that AGM batteries should not be drained more than about 50% for long (!?) life so 2x115 A-hr is not "that much".
I really don't like generators but we looked at all the alternatives (e.g. fuel cells) and generator is by far the best option, even if you had an unlimited $ budget.
We bought a small generator sized to our smart charger (40 amp) so as to charge the two AGM batteries at close to their peak input. This means a 1000 VA genny (which is about 800 watt continuous).
The Yamaha we use is the quietest on the market.
If I think I might need to use the generator, then I always camp well away from others (say >100 m). I also never use the generator early in the morning or later in the afternoon if anyone is near (even if they are MORE than 100 m away). Our standard practice (if needed) would be to put the generator on sometime between 11 am and (say) 3 pm. This is a time of the day when people are either away or busy and the very low noise from >100 m really isn't an issue. We then run the generator "flat out" and charge the house batteries and then turn it off.
Rick

carbon60

Explorer
Thanks for the extensive response!

I assume running the main Diesel engine is really not practical as a charging source?

Bandicoot

Adventurer
No. The Canter engine is very noisy and disruptive compared to a genny (esp if you are sitting in/near the EC!!) and you need to run the engine at fast idle (at least 1000 RPM) to push much into the batteries, and at this level you are chewing through a large amount of fuel compared to the gen. I can run the gen for 2 hours (say) and put in 80 A-hr to the two house batteries using just over 1 litre of fuel. To do this using the engine would be (guessing) around 10 litres plus of fuel. So if you had to do this 4 days running (bad weather, not driving, or just parked in shade) that's not only the cost of the fuel, but the extra fuel to carry.
I have used the engine once or twice to charge the batteries when desperate (before I had the genny). Not an option unless an emergency.
I guess if you "never" plan to run the house batteries down, so you only need to use the engine once or twice a year to charge the batteries (when your plans have gone haywire), then it would be an option. But we use the genny probably once a month, and sometimes for a few days in a row, e.g. we are in a nice place, by ourselves, parked in full or part shade, want to catch up on 'work' stuff etc. I run the genny for an hour or two in the middle of the day. Minimal inconvenience, noise, etc.
I should also mention that the 115 A-hr house batteries (or any rated battery) is only when the battery is brand new. As they age, their capacity reduces. The rated capacity of these batteries is to 10.5 volts and I never run them that low. If you are working to a self-imposed limit of "50%" of the capacity before topping-up, that might be 55 A-hr (50% of 115 A-hr) per battery when new, but perhaps only 30 to 40 A-hr when the batteries are 3 years old or 60 to 80 A-hr for 2 of them (and you do need to have a viable, robust solution for when your batteries are aging not just when brand new). So if your (aging) batteries are full when you pull up to camp late in the day, and you are drawing about 30 to 40 A-hr per 24 hrs for the fridge (depends on weather), and a few A-hr for the water pump, lights, etc, then if you run 2 laptops for 8 hours each at 3 amps (24 A-hr each for the day), you have run out of puff (say 90 A-hr used) in less than 1 day. Even with new batteries, you get only 1 full day out of them if used this way.
If you then look at the tables of peak solar sun-hours per day, then in perfect conditions, in Australia we would get about 60 A-hr per day out of 3x68 watt solar panels. Now factor in partial cloud or shade, heavy dust on the flat EC roof's solar panels (who keeps them clean all the time?) etc, and you will be under that value. So even with only one "layover day" to do computer work, you may need some non-solar power input.
Rick

tommesch

Hi Rick,

Love your youtube videos BTW.

RE: your "(who keeps them clean all the time?)" comment...I wonder how easy it is to get on top of an EC. I'd think cleaning is something that should be done every couple days, yet there isn't a permanently mounted ladder. Is a ladder part of your kit?

Also, I noticed that that yamaha genny had DC charging...do you connect it directly to the batteries and use that feature? It says it has overcharge protection built in. Would doing that eliminate loss involved in plugging in through the system?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears