Earthroamer: new tire/wheel/suspension

boblynch

Adventurer
Does anyone have updated info about how this new setup is working so far? Also does anyone know what specific Kelderman air-suspension kit is used as part of this upgrade?

Bob

Scott Brady

Founder
I have run a thousand miles of Baja with one. The suspension is a significant upgrade in ride quality. The tires, of course, are very cool looking. I was able to test their effectiveness in sand, running 16 psi and just idling around on the beach south of San Felipe.

ERA_Baja_Mikes_Sky_Conti.jpg

I cannot speak with any authority on the reliability of the suspension and the tires effect on the drivetrain. It is just too early. Of course, some negative effect will occur, but if these negative effects show themselves within the service life of the Roamer, it is not known.

TheOtherLeft

expeditionswest said:
Fills in the spare location nicely
conti_spare.JPG

So how do you replace the spare tyre back onto the carrier? Is there a winch or something because lifting that up there would take superman to do it?

JRhetts

Adventurer
Yes, since about # 8 or #10, ER has supplied a standard, mechanical winch system that lifts the tire up and down VERY easily. We have owned two ER vehicles (#4 and #95), and the winch works really well -- my wife has lowered and raised a wheel by herself comfortably (edit-- NOT that she is a wimp, she'd kill me if that was my implication.)

John

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
JRhetts said:
Yes, since about # 8 or #10, ER has supplied a standard, mechanical winch system that lifts the tire up and down VERY easily. We have owned two ER vehicles (#4 and #95), and the winch works really well -- my wife has lowered and raised a wheel by herself comfortably (edit-- NOT that she is a wimp, she'd kill me if that was my implication.)
John

John, your wife's honor is secure. That new wheel/tire setup is about 230lbs each. No way anyone is stuffing one that high manually. Cheers.

Are you sure they weigh that much? A Michelin 335/85R20 141K is 109 lb. I believe those wheels are alloy. Accuride bolt-together 20X10" wheels, rated at 12300 lb, only weigh 85 lb. So I'd guess 180-190 lb.

Charlie

boblynch

Adventurer
charlieaarons said:
Are you sure they weigh that much? A Michelin 335/85R20 141K is 109 lb. I believe those wheels are alloy. Accuride bolt-together 20X10" wheels, rated at 12300 lb, only weigh 85 lb. So I'd guess 180-190 lb.
Charlie

The sales manager at Hutchinson quoted me tire/wheel weights of Front 233.3 lbs and Rear 231.5 lbs. The MPT tires are about 122lbs each.

If anyone knows of a SRW setup using 335/85R20 for the F550 that allows the front and rear wheels to be flipped I'd be very interested in details.

boblynch said:
The sales manager at Hutchinson quoted me tire/wheel weights of Front 233.3 lbs and Rear 231.5 lbs. The MPT tires are about 122lbs each.

If anyone knows of a SRW setup using 335/85R20 for the F550 that allows the front and rear wheels to be flipped I'd be very interested in details.

Isn't the tire/wheel under discussion just such a thing?

Charlie

boblynch

Adventurer
charlieaarons said:
Isn't the tire/wheel under discussion just such a thing?
Charlie

It is, but it's not cheap (about $2500 per wheel/tire, plus the lift kit). I'd feel more comfortable with a lower cost steel wheel that I could bang on if needed. Not saying it's not a great setup, just would be nice to have a few choices.

Robthebrit

Explorer
230lb seems a little heavy for an alloy, my 365 MPT 81's are 240lb on a steel mog wheel, the 365's are noticeably heavier than the 335's on the same rim. I would say the 335's are 200lb at the most.

Rob

boblynch

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
230lb seems a little heavy for an alloy, my 365 MPT 81's are 240lb on a steel mog wheel, the 365's are noticeably heavier than the 335's on the same rim. I would say the 335's are 200lb at the most.
Rob

I was very surprised by the weight quote. As I mentioned, I'd like to locate a source for suitable steel wheels. The aluminum beadlocks are nice, but are overkill for my proposed use.

Doin_It

Adventurer
I'd like to see some pic's of how the winch slides into the reciever to lift and lower the spare tire. Anyone have a few to share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online