Earthroamer sell off?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There's been some discussion (click -bait) in the news about the great G-Wagon sell off of the moment.
Lead by crashing crypto & uncertainty in the economy....folks are selling their luxury/unnecessary cars.

CURBED: The great G-Wagen sell off
NY POST: Crypto Bros Offloading G-Wagens.....

But, a search of RV Trader yesterday showed that there are currently 5 (!) Earthroamers for sale used nationwide, which to me seems like an unusually high number.

RV TRADER: Earthroamer

So, not sure if this is a commentary on the economy right now...and the used prices on these kinda look like what their new prices were at the time of manufacture (Weren't Earthroamers in 2015 about a 1/2 million?).
Massive repos are coming. prices of vehicles will be coming down soon as more massive layoffs occur.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you are buying / selling an ER, I don't think the latest economic downturn is affecting you very much. During the last major economic slump in 2008, while the Big 3 automakers in the US were struggling to stay afloat, Mercedes, Porshe, Bently, ... sales stayed steady.

Bingo

gdaut

IIRC Earthroamer went "bankrupt" in the 2008 recession, so I wouldn't say they are recession proof. They say Wall Street bonuses this year are being "slashed" (oh, the horror!), and I would expect high dollar discretionary purchases like ERs and yachts, and third homes are paid for by big bonuses in fat years.

Hopefully will not happen this time; these companies are full of real people working real jobs and making some really nice products. Expensive products; but nice.

sabjku

Observer
^This, is what I always find surprising when I do actually look at listings. Not ERs per se but often expensive or 'labour of love' units that many folks would look at and 'die for' as it were.

Not my business, but it still blows me away. See it with houses too - gorgeous, dream stuff and no one lives in them...
Over the years I've learned that a LOT of people are really into the build, and tinkering, part of putting a rig together, but not so much on using the rig. I get it. It's a hobby. People build "race" cars, but never race them. More power to them.

Jonnyo

Observer
Over the years I've learned that a LOT of people are really into the build, and tinkering, part of putting a rig together, but not so much on using the rig. I get it. It's a hobby. People build "race" cars, but never race them. More power to them.

so true and that is the reason why i need 2 camping unit...one functional...and one project!!!!....the build is litterally 50% of the fun!!!!!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
As is the case with many folks who can afford to buy EXPENSIVE TOY's such as an ER, Large Camper, Vacation Residence, Overland trailer, Off-Road Buggy, Tricked Out Jeep or any other adult toy BUYING IT is the easy part.

It's that OWNING IT part that can be EXPENSIVE and a HUGE HASSLE!

Making time to use it, maintenance costs, taxes, storage, fuel, utilities, insurance, HOA's, assessments and more can take ALL THE FUN OUT OF OWNING an item and make short term RENTING that same item from someone else a much better, cheaper and far easier option.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
As is the case with many folks who can afford to buy EXPENSIVE TOY's such as an ER, Large Camper, Vacation Residence, Overland trailer, Off-Road Buggy, Tricked Out Jeep or any other adult toy BUYING IT is the easy part.

Making time to use it, maintenance costs, taxes, storage, fuel, utilities, insurance, HOA's, assessments and more can take ALL THE FUN OF OWNING an item and make RENTING that same item from someone else a much better, cheaper and far easier option.

100% Facts

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography

Making time to use it, maintenance costs, taxes, storage, fuel, utilities, insurance, HOA's, assessments and more can take ALL THE FUN OF OWNING an item and make RENTING that same item from someone else a much better, cheaper and far easier option.

SO true!! I use to live and work in a national park. Have thought of buying a place there a number of times. Other then the CRAZY price two things that keep me from doing it are first having tourists looking in your windows, sitting on your deck, taking your lawn furniture and taking a dump in your backyard (yes they do all that and more) and the fact that as a home owner you have zero rights in the park but a ton of liability & responsibility. BUT if I go there as a camper and rent a campsite for a week or two I have a more rights then a home owner and when I leave ZERO worries about what is happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior