EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And the great thing about the Foxwing is that you save a lot of pennies over other options(Bat/Manta)....although those others can easily be deployed by a single person. I've been vascillating on the others, specifically Manta; would be handy, but my Fiamma 35Pro is suiting me fine for now for a lot less ca-ching.

Great to see the XV-JP-NW and the Mouse together!

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Great to see the XV-JP-NW and the Mouse together!
It's partly an optical illusion, but the combination of oversized, highly-farkled Wrangler with unadorned stock Sprinter makes the Jeep look about as big as the van.

P1010934.jpg

Deansco

Observer
Mike,

Have you used the Foxwing in any heavy rains? I am considering one for my VW DoKa but worry about how horizontal it is and therefore where the water would go. Thanks.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike,

Have you used the Foxwing in any heavy rains? I am considering one for my VW DoKa but worry about how horizontal it is and therefore where the water would go. Thanks.
It seems better to me than the average awning, but a lot is going to depend on how it gets mounted. To wit:

You probably want the awning with the poles under it not to droop downward. If the awning base is mounted higher than the extended poles, so that there is a downward pitch toward the outside, the water will run off the edges. But if you are skillful/lucky (I was the latter), the awning will be pretty much level. Then, with the slight droop to the fabric, the rainwater flows back to the pivot point and down the "downspout."

Downspout? Yep, they include a cloth downspout--looks like an over-long nylon elephant's truck--that collects the water.

P1010933.jpg

If you click to enlarge this photo, you can see the downspout immediately to the left of the rear door. (You can also see that we stuck it through a step pad to hold it in place. That's because it acts sort of like an eight-foot-long windsock in a good breeze, which is fun for a minute or two, and then annoying. If you're parked on something soft, there are loops on the end to stake it straight down; we were on asphalt.)

So, the good news is that all the water can run down the tube if the awning angle is right (essentially zero). Interestingly, though, this turns out to be a mixed blessing. If you were collecting rainwater in the desert to stay alive, it would be brilliant. But in a heavy constant rain, you will have a lot of water come down the downspout, and if you were on a soft surface, it could create a pretty good swamp right out your back door. Fortunately, you could then lower the support poles a little to get enough pitch for the water to run off of the edges.

And if the auxiliary question is, "Doesn't an awning that big collect a whole lot of water?," that is absolutely correct. :)

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Very interesting.

Wow that sprinter is so different from your last one! I am so used to seeing all things Mike being farkled out the wazzoo! The Sprinter almost looks confusing back there. The thought comes to me "Why did you park the sprinter behind the jeep? If you wanted to get out you would have to take everything down on the jeep, but if you had the sprinter out front..."

Still, very cool stuff.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The thought comes to me "Why did you park the sprinter behind the jeep? If you wanted to get out you would have to take everything down on the jeep, but if you had the sprinter out front..."
Mostly because it was easier plugging in the Sprinter to the shorepower pedestal (no need to plug in the Jeep), plus we knew we weren't going anywhere until both vehicles left for home.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I did the southern leg of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route this weekend with my new buddies Steve, Beth, Yves and Leslie. We had nifty trucks

WABDR Small-12.jpg

and saw pretty sights

P1010958.jpg

and a good time was had by all.

I had family responsibilities that required I bail early, and the others are still on the trail. When they're back, we'll probably have something more informative and better illustrated, but this little post is to show one of the XV-JP's roof rack setups that finally got implemented after being "in concept" for months.

A while back, I wrote about how, to save carrying extra weight, I bought a soft case, meant to carry a short rifle, and stocked it with the more hardcore trail stuff

P1010576.jpg

so that I could easily leave these things behind when they weren't likely to be needed. For this WABDR trip, though, I figured (wrongly, BTW) that it'd be smart to take the stuff along.

The plan had been to lay the case across the Maxtraxs that were at the front of the rack

P1010559.jpg,

and the good news is that the plan worked pretty well.

The case nestled down nicely on the Maxtraxs in front of the Alu-box and it only took a ratchet strap to keep it held down tight,

P1010940.jpg

and it was immune to the considerable number of overhead branches I dragged across the roof.

The strapping down was made easy by just adding a ring attachment to the L-track on each side of the rack

P1010941.jpg

at the center axis of the case. FWIW, the L-track on the rack has proven really handy and I highly recommend it as an addition to any suitable rack.

There was a small problem, though. Everyone who's worked on the project--John, James, Paul and myself--knew that at some weight, the pneumatic struts weren't going to pop up the roof. Turns out adding the heavy off-road case, located at this pretty-far-forward location, put it right at the borderline. The roof raised and lowered, but you could tell the system was overmatched. The struts themselves have the capacity, so I'll take a look at the air system and see if there's more air pressure to be had.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger