EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I think we need to do the Expo version of a 'barn raising' and 10+ of us need to show up at Mike's house (now that his address is public knowledge :mad: ) and have a hand in making it Northwest Gen 3. I'll bring my sawall, resin, and Migwelder. Say June so the weather is nice and we have time to compile whatever is needed.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think we need to do the Expo version of a 'barn raising' and 10+ of us need to show up at Mike's house (now that his address is public knowledge :mad: ) and have a hand in making it Northwest Gen 3. I'll bring my sawall, resin, and Migwelder. Say June so the weather is nice and we have time to compile whatever is needed.

Great idea! Unfortunately I'm not allowed to work in the USA :coffee: I will bring cold drinks and watch you guys :sombrero:

squeezer

Adventurer
Fully agree with everything James wrote, especially about Mike...

Mike has trusted me to build out his Jeep, Lexus, Sprinter and RTT trailer... He is generous in every aspect of our professional relationship and as friends... His life's passion (after his love for Sue) is to build and use the best stuff available... We all should be so passionate...

The creative freedom Mike has granted me on all of our projects is what every craftsman aspires to be part of... Mike proposes an idea, we bounce options back and forth and ultimately something unique gets built...

For anyone to misunderstand Mike's ambitions with vehicles and advancing the state of the art, is either jealous or hasn't been paying attention... For anyone to take advantage of that is short sighted, opportunistic and ultimately self destructive...

I have nothing good to say here on this public forum about what Red Cannon / Dion did and didn't do, so I will reserve to conversations for face to face meetings...

The Jeep is not dead and it can never be what it once was... Unfortunately it will not be what Mike hoped and trusted it would become with RC... But it can be resurrected, repurposed and built again into an iconic vehicle that will make heads turn and be an ultimate pleasure to use...

Again, the Mike Hiscox I know is a generous visionary who has advanced vehicle design and a man I am lucky enough to call my friend...

Well said Paul...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That's a heck of an idea, and this story would certainly be a lot better with a happy ending. We could work under the big carport, and I have a lot of useful tools and plenty of space to park your trucks and pitch your tents. The best part would be the satisfaction we'd all get from putting it back together in a weekend, whereas Red Cannon couldn't manage reassembly in seven months.

Between this offer and the nice comments about me above, I'm having a warm fuzzy kind of day. Which is a good development. Thank you all very much.

Arclight

SAR guy
That's a heck of an idea, and this story would certainly be a lot better with a happy ending. We could work under the big carport, and I have a lot of useful tools and plenty of space to park your trucks and pitch your tents. The best part would be the satisfaction we'd all get from putting it back together in a weekend, whereas Red Cannon couldn't manage reassembly in seven months.

Between this offer and the nice comments about me above, I'm having a warm fuzzy kind of day. Which is a good development. Thank you all very much.

You could get it turned back into a usable shell camper in a weekend, and maybe do a "rapid prototype" on features you've wanted to try out. I could see getting a few things done:

1. Perform baseline maintenance, wiring repairs, etc.
2. Install a fitted plywood floor. Drill holes and install threaded inserts for bolting fixtures to.
3. Frame up a usable temporary interior from 1/2x1/2x.060" sqaure steel tubing. This is easy to cut/weld, and can be cut/reformed/straightened many times without being destroyed. It's a nice material for "non-professionals" like me. Since I am not a very good woodworker, I based the interior of my Flippac on this and used sheetmetal screws to zip the wood skins on:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128820-Flippac-build-out
4. Work out a simple, lightweight roof. Again, thin-wall 1/2" steel could form the structure and you could skin it up with a waterproof composite sheet and some glass.

BTW, reading the details Paul posted of Mike's build yields a lot of clever ideas. I got the idea to add removable tie points, prototype the layout using MDF and a hot glue gun and loads more from reading this thread.

Arclight

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I may be able to allocate some time to that thought. Even being from North Idaho.

Id love to come down and make the best of a nasty situation.

That said, I think the idea should be kept on hold until any and all legal proceedings are dealt with.

The vehicle is an essential source of evidence. Id hate for that evidence to be lost.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I'm in. Maybe if we all list the skills that we bring we could actually do this.
My greatest skills are coming up with nearly unbuildable ideas, and sweeping.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
******???? I'm confused about a few things. Welcome to the club.

Now I don't know a lot about fiberglassing but as veilside says below, the gel coat not setting doesn't make the roof completely unusable does it? Why couldn't the gel coat just be redone?I sure would have thought so. Even if I was the one to have to get the roof presentable, it'd have been better than no roof at all.

Based on this video on the Red Cannon Expedition Facebook page (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QN7PklbTg&feature=youtu.be), it sure looks to me that Dion Kranz of Red Cannon Expedition is wearing just a t-shirt while working on your cabin . . . Yes, Dion always had the Jeep inside. I believe there was a time when the furnace went out for a while in the new building, but I don't believe he did any XV-JP work in the new building.

Didn't Red Cannon Expedition just buy a new building earlier this year? I saw it on their Facebook page . . . I was surprised to learn just recently that he was working on getting the new building last summer. I wasn't told about it until months later. I don't presume to know the answer to whether my Jeep money helped fund the building. He certainly did spend time fixing up the building in lieu of doing low/no-cost work to get my Jeep in better shape before delivery.

So instead of Dion emailing you back and letting you know that supposedly the gelcoat didn't set well on the lengthened roof, he decides FOR YOU on YOUR JEEP, keeps YOUR Earthroamer top, and sends you this roof mold of his instead, so that you can dump MORE money into his complete abomination of workmanship? How the hell does that make any sense? I assume that's a rhetorical question, but, no, it doesn't make any sense. That's part of what makes it so irritating.

And to be clear . . . once you unstrap this roof mold and remove the mold, the entire roof front-to-back of the Earthroamer cabin is open sky?? You understand correctly. You see the sky. (And I will get some additional pictures of the mold posted. I'm appreciating the assessments of what I've got and what I'm expected to do with it.)

And Dion didn't even even drive the vehicle as you asked in your email correspondence? He just ratched-strapped this what-looks-to-be-flimsy mold onto the cabin? You are definitely lucky you sent a transporter to pick it up vs fly out and drive it back. I mean that mold would have flown right off by the time you hit 35mph, no? Rhetorical, as well? But, yes, that was my point. The mold would have broken, the curbside filler would have fallen out, the wind pressure against the cabin would have broken the fiberglass through which the cabin was held to the tub by two bolts and the cabin would have come off, and then the cab top, also not attached, would have flown off (though you'd have to guess I'd have caught on by then and come to a stop. 1998 miles from home. I've no idea what Dion hoped to accomplish by leaving me stranded in Iowa.

Even the transporting wasn't carefree. The driver said that those orange ratchet straps were his and that he added them because the mold was shifting around and he was worried it would bounce off and damage one of the other cars. (And he was wise, given that it moved around even with the straps.

Anyway, as I said, it was a real disappointment.

Dion couldn't even manage to buy a ratchet strap or two to secure down the roof mold(which he "traded" for YOUR Earthroamer roof, WITHOUT your approval)? Maybe because he had run out of YOUR money to spend?

If you lived in the Arizona desert an open air Jeep camper may be an interesting slant, but up in the Pacific NW with the rain, that's not going to fly(and yes, neither does the Darien, nor will it ever now!).

"A real disappointment" is the understatement of the year here on Expo. :smilies27

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm in to lend a hand in fixing this unfathomable disaster of a project. If desired I could help TRY to line up;
--master fiberglasser/boat builder
--carpenter(unless Paul is coming down)
--master metalworker/welder/engineer(x2 or 3)/fabricator
--pro 12V electrician
--detailer
--tools, tools, tools
--extra 2person Autohome tent and van for out-of-towne ExPo'ers to sleep in
--3-4person ground tent for out-of-town ExPo'ers to sleep in(unless it's monsooning)
--cooks/food to feed the troops
--moral support
--balloons for the kids (sorry, clowns not allowed--no one wants him touching the Jeep anymore anyways)

Maybe someone could film the entire weekend, edit it, and send to Fairfield Area Chamber of Commerce?

So when are we doing this blitzkrieg build? :chef:

screwball48

Explorer
Time lapse video of the build would be awesome to see. Instead of calling it "Overhaulin" it could be dubbed "Overlandin".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'm in to lend a hand in fixing this unfathomable disaster of a project. If desired I could help TRY to line up;
--master fiberglasser/boat builder
--carpenter(unless Paul is coming down)
--master metalworker/welder/engineer(x2 or 3)/fabricator
--pro 12V electrician
--detailer
--tools, tools, tools
--extra 2person Autohome tent and van for out-of-towne ExPo'ers to sleep in
--3-4person ground tent for out-of-town ExPo'ers to sleep in(unless it's monsooning)
--cooks/food to feed the troops
--moral support
--balloons for the kids (sorry, clowns not allowed--no one wants him touching the Jeep anymore anyways)

Maybe someone could film the entire weekend, edit it, and send to Fairfield Area Chamber of Commerce?

So when are we doing this blitzkrieg build? :chef:

I'm in for helping out any way I can as well, as long as I'm home for the weekend!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the offers of help. My wife wants to know if we don't rebuild the Jeep, does the offer hold for redoing her landscaping? :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78