EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yep. Two rows closer to the entrance, about two thirds of the way toward the drive. You're right about the giant Ford vans; I kept walking into the one that wasn't ours parked in the same row about five trucks toward you. Popular, indeed.

Next year for sure. I'm suspect visiting one's Rally neighbors will go better in future years when the temperatures are less gruesome.

Us trying to attract the aliens;
IMG_5019.jpg

Mike all comfortable in the new Sienna recliners, waving bye to everyone before his alien transportation experience;
IMG_5022.jpg

:sombrero:

DzlToy

Explorer
30 mils of Temp-Coat on the exterior metal and some 3M Ceramic Film on the windows will go a LONG way towards keeping the temps in check, especially in something as large as a van.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
30 mils of Temp-Coat on the exterior metal and some 3M Ceramic Film on the windows will go a LONG way towards keeping the temps in check, especially in something as large as a van.

Don't mean to disrail Mike's Jeep thread, but already have Suntek ceramic tint on all the windows(swapping to 3M Crystalline ceramic soon though as I had it on my G and preferred it to this Suntek I was suggested), FatMat on ceiling/floor/sides of van. I'll have to look at the Temp-Coat thanks.

Back to moar Jeep!

Last edited:

DionK

Hello everyone,

I'm Dion. As Mike mentioned, I am doing a "midlife refresh" on his well-known Jeep. I will try to keep everyone as updated as possible as the build comes along. I have removed the entire interior; it's back to near stock form. I will also be removing and redesigning a section of the upper body. Here are a few pics showing the current progress, as well as the rendering to give everyone a general idea of what the future holds.rendering copy.jpgimage2.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cool rendering Dion!
Someday I'll be poptop brethren with Mike; your Jeep and my van will nearly be twinsies.

DionK

Fiberglass products arrived today, next couple weeks should be eventful. people on the east coast should be able to see the completed Jeep in October as we are looking to unveil the build at Overland Expo east. If you don't get a chance to see it at overland expo east we are in the works of bringing the vehicle to sema 2015. Towards the end of next week I should be making the fresh water tank and possibly some other smaller pieces. Lots of hard work to empty out there interior but we have come a long way in little time.

jeep 1.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I'm Dion. As Mike mentioned, I am doing a "midlife refresh" on his well-known Jeep. I will try to keep everyone as updated as possible as the build comes along. I have removed the entire interior; it's back to near stock form. I will also be removing and redesigning a section of the upper body. Here are a few pics showing the current progress, as well as the rendering to give everyone a general idea of what the future holds.View attachment 293611View attachment 293612

Click image for larger version. Name: rendering copy.jpg Views: 27 Size: 318.7 KB ID: 293611Click image for larger version. Name: image2.jpg Views: 23 Size: 520.2 KB ID: 293612
BTW I was chatting with Mike and remember saying that I think that a pop up tent as you have shown is without a doubt the best idea for the jeeps. very very cool. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. I am very interested in your ideas and progress. Maybe I need one to tow behind my FUSO...
k

GR8ADV

Explorer
Fiberglass products arrived today, next couple weeks should be eventful. people on the east coast should be able to see the completed Jeep in October as we are looking to unveil the build at Overland Expo east. If you don't get a chance to see it at overland expo east we are in the works of bringing the vehicle to sema 2015. Towards the end of next week I should be making the fresh water tank and possibly some other smaller pieces. Lots of hard work to empty out there interior but we have come a long way in little time.

View attachment 294164

OMG
Hey Dion. How well did the components and interior come out. Salvageable? Just curious. Thanks.

DionK

To remove the interior was actually a lot of work and most of it came out in smaller manageable pieces(via hammers and saws). So the short answer is not much was left to salvage. Of course I removed all the electronics and anything of some value before the demolition progress started and most of which will be reused for this build. Glad to hear you are interested in the loft top design. It has taken some time to come up with a viable repeatable solution for the Jeep overland community so it does mean a lot to me that my ideas are gaining support. As the build progresses I think you may find that a Fuso/ Jeep train will seem very appealing.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Tears in my eyes...
Yeah, I can sure understand that. Not a good thing to have all of Paul's work undone. But the interior layout is being completely changed, so there's wasn't a single thing, whether from Paul or EarthRoamer, that could stay in its earlier location.

To his credit, Dion was impressively sensitive to Paul's feelings and worried about ripping out Paul's craftsmanship, but it wasn't like there was any option. I did recover everything removable before Dion left with the Jeep, like the nice tables and drawers, and I'm assured everything Dion's removing now is going into a big pile so I can retrieve anything I care to try to reuse on another project.

Then, too, my Upscale guys and James Lombardo will also have a their sad moments, as the clever pneumatic strut setup goes away, along with James's laboriously-constructed tent. All in all, lot of good skill, effort and money sacrificed, though it'll all be for a good cause.

vwteleman

Observer
^^^ this

I looked at the photo of everything stripped out, and thought what a shame! Mike, did you consider selling this to someone who would appreciate it, and starting over with a fresh JK? The only original thing left appears to be the rear shell.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
^^^ this

I looked at the photo of everything stripped out, and thought what a shame! Mike, did you consider selling this to someone who would appreciate it, and starting over with a fresh JK? The only original thing left appears to be the rear shell.

Since there were only 14shells ever produced, I think the only possibility would be that Mike swap with another ER XV-JP owner(difficult due to low volume) who wanted the James/Paul setup(more difficult as everyone's tastes are different), and in trade Mike would get the original ER interior which then Dion could remove and start with the 2person levitating top setup.

vwteleman

Observer
But why not just fab a new shell, if that is all that is being re-purposed? (Dion apparently worked on the original XV-JP project.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78