Eastern Sierras Adventure

FishPOET

Adventurer
I left La Habra at 7pm on Wednesday August 29, 2012. Linda met me at Kramer Junction and we continued North on US395. I arrived at my usual camping spot near US395 around 10pm.
SE111.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

On Thursday morning we were on the road by 7am. Our first stop was Fossil Falls.

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

More Fossil Falls photos can be seen here

After leaving Fossil Falls we continued North on US395 to Bishop, CA. We filled up the gas tanks and got ice. The BLM and the Inyo National Forest have a combined office in Bishop. We stopped there and picked up some maps and guides. We went down the street to Schat’s Bakery and picked up some fresh bread. We headed up CA168 towards the Eastern Sierras.

We arrived at North Lake Campground around 1pm.

IMG_5310.jpg

After setting up camp we headed down to the Middle Fork of Bishop Creek and fished for a couple of hours before dinner.

IMG_5228.jpg

Dinner was fresh trout :)

To be continued…

FishPOET

Adventurer
Sunday September 2 we hiked up the Piute Pass Trail to the Lamarck Lakes Trail to the Grass Lake Trail.

IMG_5270.jpg

Grass Lake
IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

I had not been into the John Muir Wilderness in over 30 years. I had not caught a Golden Trout in over 30 years. It was a real treat to accomplish both again and it will only be a few years until the next visit.

More Grass Lake photos can be seen here

To be continued…

FishPOET

Adventurer
On Monday September 3 we broke camp and headed down into Bishop and the Owens River

The LADWP owns much of the Owens River and the land surrounding it but allows access to some parts of it. We started on US6 near 5 Bridges Road and Fish Slough

IMG_5338.jpg

Eastern Sierras in the background
IMG_5345.jpg

More Owens River photos can be seen here

In Bishop Linda said goodbye and headed for home. I had a couple of other stops I wanted to make. First stop was the Black Rock Fish Hatchery. I had been to the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery a few years ago before it was closed and it was a fun visit.

I arrived at Black Rock at feeding time.
IMG_5351.jpg

Lake inside the Black Rock complex
IMG_5347.jpg

More Black Rock Fish Hatchery photos can be seen here

Heading South on 395 I had 1 more stop I wanted to make before heading home. Alabama Hills Recreation Area The Alabama Hills are the most used location in the world for movies, television and advertising. List of movies filmed in the Alabama Hills.

The Squeeze
IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

More Alabama Hills photos can be seen here

I left Lone Pine at 5pm and I was home by 8pm. An absolute fantastic Labor day weekend in the Eastern Sierras.

FishPOET

Adventurer
My favorite shot of the week.
GrassLake.jpg

I had walked all the way around Grass Lake (mostly mushy meadow) when I looked up and saw this view.

mudmony

Observer
thanks for the report...interesting to see peoples take on the eastern sierras...5 bridges...party spot,,, sand canyon.. party spot,,,buttermilk..senior party at dog rock,,alabama hills... 2 day party spot,,the cliffs...party spot,, owens.. float to the ropes, then party spot,,round house, party spot..wheeler ridge, weekend party spot..coyote, weekend party spot,, the pits, silver canyon, the gorge,spark plug mine, ah the good ol days..probably why I dont party anymore

mkitchen

Explorer
great pics

I have not done much exploring in the area that you posted about. I am going to have to go back and spend some time up there. As I have said before; this work stuff sure cuts into a fellow's free time. Thanks for the guided tour.
Mikey

upndown

Adventurer
FishPOET & suntinez, thank you both for the beautiful photos! I will share this with my ladyfriend, so we can start planning next years adventure! seems our destinations have a few things in common..Beautiful scenery and WATER as we both love to fish!! WE will be leaving 2 weeks from today for a similar adventure in southern Utah. A few days in a cabin on a reservoir and a few days where ever the truck takes us and my little boat!!:snorkel:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thank you very much for the pics and the info! That is a great area. I only had a little time to explore that area while I was stationed at Fort Irwin. I need to get back there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger