eBay 1017 4x4

kerry

Expedition Leader
Nice. Price isn't bad given the low mileage. What's the top speed of that truck? Would make a nice basis for an expedition camper.

This is a great truck for an expedition camper. It looks like it has the simple mechanical 366 5.9L 6cyl. It would be fantastic for finding parts and service worldwide.
Someone should snap it up if it's truly US registerable.
I think it would be relatively easy to do a SRW conversion with 365/80 or 85 R20 XZLs, and of couse wheels, I'd guess with 4-5" offset, flipped in the rear.

Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
I had a 1719 for about 6 months then sent it back to the scrap yard due to the lack of parts in the US and never getting e-mail reply from euro junkyards.

I was laughed off the phone when I called Freightliner for parts.

Did you try calling anyone in the UK? Hard to believe there wouldn't have been someone willing to sell parts at some price.

I know parts for US- spec. Mercedes (last model year was 1990, I think) were still officialy available a few years ago. that may have changed but there's got to be parts somewhere....

HINO SG

Adventurer
The UK was about the only place i didn't try.

i did a Craig's listing to sell the truck...AND OH MAN!!!! I got a bunch kooks. One guy wanted me to drive it to him in Honduras.

MB trucks is very strong in the UK, probably would have been worth a try. too bad.

I'm guessing that at least 2/3 of the last US spec. MB trucks here in the upper midwest have been exported to central america; I knew a shop that bought them up, dismounted box/body, and stacked them 2 high for export (by highway) to central america, including a lot of rusted hulks.

haven

Expedition Leader
Depending on the state where you live, you can expect some
difficulty getting a license plate for a 2001 vehicle that Mercedes
didn't import.

HINO SG

Adventurer
the the 2wd 1017 was sold in the U.S. for several years in the 80's.

just dug up some old documentation; in 1988 Mercedes-Benz Truck Company (USA) offered three cab-over model trucks:

LP1219 27,500 GVW OM366LA 190hp
LP1419 32,900 GVW -same

and-
LPS1525 tractor 66,000 GCWR OM429LA 250hp

The 1017 has the same cab & motor as the LP series trucks (apparently) but may not have been a US-spec. model.

Last edited:

Tennmogger

Explorer
The seller-provided specs say it has an OM-352A. That's an even easier engine to find parts for worldwide.

Bob

This is a great truck for an expedition camper. It looks like it has the simple mechanical 366 5.9L 6cyl. It would be fantastic for finding parts and service worldwide.
Someone should snap it up if it's truly US registerable.
I think it would be relatively easy to do a SRW conversion with 365/80 or 85 R20 XZLs, and of couse wheels, I'd guess with 4-5" offset, flipped in the rear.

Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
"The 1017 has the same cab & motor as the LP series trucks (apparently)".

The seller-provided specs say it has an OM-352A. That's an even easier engine to find parts for worldwide.
man, I can't get any of my facts right today......

ok. I bet the cab is the same. and they both run on diesel. and the air in the tires is interchangeable.:)

I like this part, too:

"This truck is considered fully bi-national".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears