Eco-Boost anyone?

SGNellett

Adventurer
Was having a conversation with the wife about replacing the DD, wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Eco-Boost motor in general?

Looking at a Flex in particular, but I know the 3.5 e/b is available in the full size trucks too...

gtbensley

Explorer
Cant go wrong, have been out for many years and proven to be reliable. You wont get great MPG likely, but they are a quick motor and fun to drive.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Cant go wrong, have been out for many years and proven to be reliable. You wont get great MPG likely, but they are a quick motor and fun to drive.

I'm seeing reports of low to mid 20's on the highway in the Flex, which is at least as good as I was doing in my Towncar. I'd love to get 35-40 mpg, but I am a large man and have 2 big teenage boys who are scouts, so a little commuter just isn't in the cards..

deserteagle56

Adventurer
A year and a half ago when I was ready to order a new pickup my overwhelming preference was for the 5.0 V8. But a lot of research, and glowing reports from guys I know who own the 3.5 Eco, changed my mind so I decided to take a chance. Especially after having driven diesels for so long and reading how the 3.5 Eco's torque curve was so diesel-like (lots of torque down at low rpms, rarely needing to shift going up and down mountain passes). My new F150 XLT arrived on 20 May 2016, so just about a year ago.

Love my truck. Absolutely problem free for the first year I've had it (11,000 miles). Overall mpg for that first year is 20.6, and that comes from the spreadsheet I enter the data in to, not the lie-o-meter in the dash which likes to tell me I'm getting 22+ mpg. I suspect that those who get worse mileage just can't keep their foot off the throttle - it is tempting to feel that power.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's overkill, but if you can swing it, go for it. I rather have the cheaper engine with a simple 1/2ton. Whatever gets the job done. It's not a race car afterall.

SGNellett

Adventurer
It's overkill, but if you can swing it, go for it. I rather have the cheaper engine with a simple 1/2ton. Whatever gets the job done. It's not a race car afterall.

I guess it makes more sense in cars where space is at a premium but folks still want some oomph to go with the mileage.

I'm intrigued to see how this thing runs, never driven a twin turbo before.

Closest I've been to it was an old turbo Dodge Caravan, an early 5 seater. Felt like it was going to explode every time that turbo spooled up, like you were dumping nitrous into a Yugo, LOL!

Littlehouse

Adventurer
It seems like the 2.7l EcoBoost would be a great motor for the flex, I wonder why they don't have it as an option. I rented a limited EcoBoost AWD flex for a 3000 mile roadtrip, and it was awesome. Best road trip vehicle I've ever rented by far. I say go for it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Oh, it runs well. I don't think you'll have a complaint about it.

The only thing I've heard of is some (abusive) people notice that the fly by wire throttle can be programmed a little soft on the launch to save the driveline and transmission. It's a good thing, ignore it. The ones I've driven were set pretty aggressively and had no problem getting going at all. White work trucks seem to be set the softest. As usual.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I don't have one but knew a guy who towed a 5k trailer most of the time on the interstate full of tools and his mileage plummeted to around 10 or so at 75mph according to him. If empty they seem to get decent mileage but once they have to work and the turbo spools up it really sucks the gas. Is this what you all are seeing?

Darrell

dnellans

Adventurer
2013 F-150 (and i've got it all tuned up around town like a WRX). even on slightly bigger tires I can easily do 15 in down and 19 when truly "on the highway". If you drive it like you stole it, then you're going to get 13-14mpg and towing is about the same because you have to drive in boost all the time. It sounds terrible compared to the unloaded highway milage, but its not really any worse than what the 5.0 guys get while towing either.

Ecoboost means either eco OR boost, you can't have a 3.5L engine and expect 7L power out of it unless you're putting 7L gas amounts into it at 2x boost pressure. Because its a flying brick, there is actually a significant decrease in highway milage with speed too. At 65mph cruise control it requires no boost to maintain speed, at 70 it starts having to use boost but not much, by 75 its running 3psi, and by 80 its up to like 6psi in my experience, that just kills the gas milage.

All in all though I love mine, despite some hickups ford has had with it along the way. There are some gotchyas to look out for if you're buying a early year model used, but they've got it all ironed out in the newest generations it seems.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, we pulled the trigger last night, brought home the new to us Flex-po, AWD in Expo white, LOL!
I've never really researched it but I have to admit I've always liked the look of the Flex. It has a unique look, not the generic "blob" look of most crossovers. Kind of like a Mini on steroids! If I didn't need off road capability I'd consider it for a tow vehicle for our T@B, it seems like it's the perfect size.
Actually, when I think about it, it really has the configuration of an "old school" Station Wagon, but with AWD and modern technology. I'm surprised I don't see more of them on the road. I'd sure rather drive that than a mini van!

SGNellett

Adventurer
I've never really researched it but I have to admit I've always liked the look of the Flex. It has a unique look, not the generic "blob" look of most crossovers. Kind of like a Mini on steroids! If I didn't need off road capability I'd consider it for a tow vehicle for our T@B, it seems like it's the perfect size.
Actually, when I think about it, it really has the configuration of an "old school" Station Wagon, but with AWD and modern technology. I'm surprised I don't see more of them on the road. I'd sure rather drive that than a mini van!

That's pretty much how I landed here. I was looking for an SUV ofr the size, couldn't justify the mileage, so I decided on a minivan but couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted, and I stumbled across a few of these while looking at the Acadia and her sisters, which were all still a little spendy in my opinion for what I was finding.

Added bonus is that this thing ides better and is quieter than my old town car!

I'm wondering if there is a way to monitor boost levels so I can determine where my sweet spot will be for mileage on the highway? No boost gauge on the dash, but possibly thru the big ol computer in the dash?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

x2 :beer:
I've seen them running around, and think they are pretty cool too.

That's pretty much how I landed here. I was looking for an SUV ofr the size, couldn't justify the mileage, so I decided on a minivan but couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted, and I stumbled across a few of these while looking at the Acadia and her sisters, which were all still a little spendy in my opinion for what I was finding.

Added bonus is that this thing ides better and is quieter than my old town car!

I'm wondering if there is a way to monitor boost levels so I can determine where my sweet spot will be for mileage on the highway? No boost gauge on the dash, but possibly thru the big ol computer in the dash?

Possibly monitoring MAP sensor through OBD-II dongle and a smart phone app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears