Econoline full build out camper with 2WD Weldtech Baja lift suspension help

ericdehaven

Ok so I am hoping the hive mind has some ideas here, or some input. We have a 2000 E150 (ex conversion van) that Jeremy at Weldtech did a full lift for us on. Front radius arms, bent ibeams, Rear custom 7 leafs with Fox 2.0's
The van looks great, the work was top notch and has mostly been a great setup..
EXCEPT we have 1 major issue. The Achilles heal of my van is flat easy washboarded roads.
This thing can tackle huge holes, rocks, tons of travel, all fine.. Give it a 40ft wide flat road with washboards and its virtually undriveable.
I have tried at different speeds from crawling to 50mph runs and the rear end of the van is all over the place. It walks all over the road, the vibration is enough to damage cabinets. Its honestly unbearable.
I have some experience with suspension, many years as a race mechanic on bikes so I understand the concepts. To me it feels like the springs are not progressive enough and the shocks high speed compression and rebound damping is way off. So the rear is too stiff off initial travel and too soft once it progresses.
A note is that we have fairly bad body roll in corners so again telling me that low speed damping and later spring progression is not good.
Now some history. The first set of springs Weldtech had made for us started to sag within a few days, and after 1 month the rear axle was 4in off fender center and the rear had sagged almost 3in. So we went back and had another set made to keep the ride height level. The sag is mostly gone and the axle position is good but now we have this issue.
Our build is a high top, full interior living quarters, however we used very lightweight wood so our usual load is only around 1200# fully loaded for a long trip including our build out (additional weight from empty van as we bought it)
Another note, I recently bagged it with a custom airlift setup (using detachment cups, etc) This fixed some issues, body roll in corner and put more weight on the front end which improved steering and reduced the wander (which tells me our weight bias was off with the leafs alone) But this still is a mess on the washboards. Air bags full or fully empty, no real difference. Tires deflated help, but not much..
Is this just normal for everyone or am I fighting a bad setup here. Any suggestions would be great.

Fork-N-Road

Not a lot to add, but what are you running for tire pressure? Dropping the tire pressure makes a night and day difference in my ride quality off road, especially with smaller washboard type stuff.

If Weldtech didn't custom spec your shocks, that could make a difference as well. I had my shocks done by Agile and was surprised how noticeable it was. Good luck!

ericdehaven

I have tried a few different pressures, but lowest was about 30psi. More I am reading I see many are going as low as 20 with K02's? What is safe before It pops off the rim?
Shocks were custom spec according to what I was told.

Raul

Adventurer
I found that tire and pressure are the main players with washboards. What tire size are you running? When I converted my van to 4x4 I had the F350 stock wheel 275/70r18 @65psi. I changed to 305/68r18 @45psi and made things easier. 2WD Weldtech suspension should be more compliant than a 4x4 conversion. Springs and bags will take of the load, but the frequencies of the excitations created by the washboards, I believe are taken care (or not) by the tires. If you are running 20"+ rims you may look cool, but should forget about washboards.

Fork-N-Road

I have E Series LT315/70R17 All-Terrain T/A KO2's

Tire pressure recommendations I have read here (from Bill Burke & John at Agile Off Road)
Gravel (50/55)
Rocks / Sand / Snow (30/35)
John said he is in the 25-35lb range in Mexico (8k lbs)
Pismo Beach - I ran 20/25 (4x4 Diesel)

I haven't lost a bead yet.

Going to aftermarket rear springs also made a surprising difference in my ride, but it sounds like you have already explored that. Did they have you weigh the van to spec your shocks and springs?

ericdehaven

I have E Series LT315/70R17 All-Terrain T/A KO2's

Tire pressure recommendations I have read here (from Bill Burke & John at Agile Off Road)
Gravel (50/55)
Rocks / Sand / Snow (30/35)
John said he is in the 25-35lb range in Mexico (8k lbs)
Pismo Beach - I ran 20/25 (4x4 Diesel)

I haven't lost a bead yet.

Going to aftermarket rear springs also made a surprising difference in my ride, but it sounds like you have already explored that. Did they have you weigh the van to spec your shocks and springs?
Yeah so we are running 17" wheels with 75/295 K02's I believe (not in front of the truck so cant remember exactly) but in that range. Rear springs were built after we put it on scales yes, but that set sagged bad (as noted in my first post) so the second set was done to help reduce that sag.
So I tried down to about 40lbs and it was still unbearable. I will try lower next trip.
I agree that the tires are generally the biggest contributor to high speed damping. But that was my wonder is if the Fox 2.0's have a high speed damping circuit and if not then I might look into a set that does to free up the spring in those conditions.
It feels to my butt like as soon as it gets going the spring cant react (likely rebound) fast enough..

Oh the fun of vans..

Corneilius

Adventurer
Slight apples to oranges here but my last Ujoint van butter on washboards at 20PSI in my BFGs, could go as fast or slow as I wanted. 8500lbs loaded, leaf sprung with Bilsteins. At street pressure (55) it was standard shake-everything-apart at the seams

Fork-N-Road

You might find some good info on this link, Redoval has pushed the 2wd platform farther than anyone else I am aware of. I tried followed him through Ocotillo Wells and can confirm that he punishes his van!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998