Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

Scoutpappa

so don't post often, but my 43 is still going strong after three years from open box. goes from ac to dc all day long and is always plugged in somewhere. for the back of the truck (two now) I ran #4 to blue sea twist to locks. when it's not in the truck it's outside in the outdoor kitchen, then to the truck, then plugged in to the camper, then reverse it back to the house. keeps stuff cold so no complaints.

DaJudge

Explorer
My FP430 quit working on 12v after a mishap involving our home fridge dying and my wife calling me at work asking where the cord was for the Edgestar. Long story short she managed to find a 120v cord that had the same end as the 12v plug on the Edgestar! It worked fine on 120v after that so I knew the fridge was good, just had to figure out what got burned on the 12v side. I took the power supply apart and discovered a burned traced on the 12v side. Cleaned it up and replaced the trace with a piece of 12g wire. Works like a champ again!
Fridge 1 small.jpg
Fridge 2 small.jpg

gnstalodz

Anyone willing to trade their smaller fridge for a fp630? Bayarea. It works great, just need more space in the truck. Doesn't have to be edgestar, just something smaller.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Anyone know a good source for Whynter dual zone fridge freezer compressor controllers? My buddy 's 62 qt dual zone needs one and Ambient is out of stock of them.

read thru the thread and only found one guy that "weatherproofed" his edgestar. but the pic are not available. my fridge is also in the truck bed open to the elements as of right now anyone have any details and or pics on weatherproofing...thanks

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Anyone willing to trade their smaller fridge for a fp630? Bayarea. It works great, just need more space in the truck. Doesn't have to be edgestar, just something smaller.

I have buddy in the bay area with a 45qt that might trade. What's your info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
read thru the thread and only found one guy that "weatherproofed" his edgestar. but the pic are not available. my fridge is also in the truck bed open to the elements as of right now anyone have any details and or pics on weatherproofing...thanks
Ours rides the front deck of the trailer. It gets worse than what one in the back of your truck would get. The insulated cover has worked well for us.

deck4.jpg

Wynter transit bag

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
The stock dc plug on my fridge was starting to have connection problemsso I am going to replace it with a much better and more easily sourced Anderson power pole connector. I found out the polarized plugs are only rated for 2.5 amps, and the way it stick out it always seemed like it was going to get damaged. I made the housing slightly longer to give me the option of mounting the receptacle plugs flush, or recessed so only the wires protrude. Stock plug protrudes 1 5/8” from the fridge, flush mount only protrudes 5/8”.933C9101-D072-4116-AA92-6E0F3184996B.jpeg8DBA0DBD-1196-4D66-81EA-CA35A1D55A56.jpegA109FBFD-38AF-48B4-862C-9EDC2E287D48.jpeg3E17B2F9-849C-4CCE-A48A-6928578AE730.jpegEB76BE69-170D-445C-94E7-43467A983AF3.jpeg

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Hey everyone, question for anyone that might know the problem or fix for this.

My fridge is reading much cooler than it actually is. I am constantly having to bring the temp down to get the compressor to run. At the moment I have it set to 20 degrees and it brings it down to 30 degrees and then stops and won't ever bump back on. The fridge just keeps getting warmer until I unplug and hopefully get it to run again.

Is there a way to hot wire it in

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
The stock dc plug on my fridge was starting to have connection problemsso I am going to replace it with a much better and more easily sourced Anderson power pole connector. I found out the polarized plugs are only rated for 2.5 amps, and the way it stick out it always seemed like it was going to get damaged. I made the housing slightly longer to give me the option of mounting the receptacle plugs flush, or recessed so only the wires protrude. Stock plug protrudes 1 5/8” from the fridge, flush mount only protrudes 5/8”.View attachment 454163View attachment 454164View attachment 454165View attachment 454166View attachment 454167

I really need to do this my stock plug is starting to wear out as well, how do you like the power plugs?

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I really need to do this my stock plug is starting to wear out as well, how do you like the power plugs?

So far so good. I haven't had a lot of time to test it, but the the powerpoles seem are very commonly used in other DC applications, so if there were any problems it's be pretty well known by now. The stock plug was getting a little loose, and I broke one because it protrudes kinda far from the fridge. Usually I had problems with the cigarette end of the cord, even after switching to marine plugs it would sometimes lose contact.

I built a poor mans goal zero battery box to power my fridge, so instead of dealing with 3 or 4 different plug types, I swapped everything to powerpoles which makes cord compatibility a lot less complicated.

RedXterra

Observer
Having some issues and maybe you all can help?

Have a EdgeStar 43qt that I bought last summer, I've used it in my truck for the last year and everything works well on 12v. Finally took it out of my truck and brought it inside, tried to use it on the AC plug, and it just flashes 1.5a and turns on and off.

Any suggestions what it might be?

jeffbett

I have an Edgestar that quit cooling. I put a tap on it and refilled the freon and it worked great, nice and cold for a day. It seems there must be a leak and the freon is gone again. I put in freon with dye and checked for the leak with a special light and found nothing so the leak must be in the coils area. I think the thing is toast since there is no way to get at the coils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan