Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
FYI - besides calling compact appliance, you can get stainless hinges online through Whynter's distributor, i just put a set on: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41146&postcount=2

also, you can get the Whynters on homedepot.com with free ship-to-store. they are a few bucks cheaper than the Edgestar usually runs (when not having a super-sale type deal). Whynter is also making a dual zone (1 temperature controls) version of the 65/63qt that looks interesting (and much cheaper than a National Luna):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-...ne-Portable-Freezer-in-Gray-FM-62DZ/203569129

my original Edgestar 43qt is still running strong, knock on virtual wood - i've had it about 4 years i think. mods have been marine-lock type cord & outlet, metal handles, engel slide-lock mounting, and now the metal hinges.

Don't understand how the guy said it came out to be $35 with shipping. They are 17.50 a hinge and you need two which comes out to be $35 and free ship. Lol
Guess I'll order up a pair now before mine goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
When I ordered mine from Home Depot, I thought it might get to the store quicker. It was actually going to take a couple more days for some reason.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I got mine from HD and had it shipped to my house. Free shipping so why not. It was on sale too. I think I paid less than $500 with extended warranty for the 43qt

surly

surly adventurer
We went through Ebates to HD and got ours for $403 IIRC.
Shipped to home too.
Considering a larger model for the trailer when Ebates and HD discounts align making a better deal.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Question on the Edgestar that I am sure has been answered in these forums somewhere....does it auto sense voltage and switch from 12V to 110V when it's present?
In other words, can you leave it hooked up to two sources of power (auxiliary battery and inverter off the vehicle charging system is my thinking) and will it auto swap? Or do you have to mess with the plugs?

theksmith

Explorer
Don't understand how the guy said it came out to be $35 with shipping. They are 17.50 a hinge and you need two which comes out to be $35 and free ship. Lol
Guess I'll order up a pair now before mine goes.

good catch ;) - i had just glanced back at the invoice and thought that i paid 17.50 for the pair and the rest was shipping. but you are right, that was price each and shipping was free - doh!

93Cummins

Observer
Does anyone make slides or travel bags for Edgstars? I don't see them on their web site. I have been looking at other brands to find one that the measurement would fit. It would be nice to find one specific to the brand.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
FYI - besides calling compact appliance, you can get stainless hinges online through Whynter's distributor, i just put a set on: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41146&postcount=2

Thanks for the info on the hinges. I just broke my 2nd pair of the plastic ones. The 2nd set was a similar "vintage" to the first, and didn't last very long, so I suspect that there's something in the plastic that's not UV stable or something. Both of them crumbled like old Bakelite, which was a surprise. Like you, I've already done the metal handle upgrade. Other than those two items, mine has been running strong for 5+ years. (Handles never failed, but since I was strapping down via the handles, I figured the metal ones were a better choice.)

Was planning to swap out the power cable for something power profile but I'm now renovating my van interior and will be moving to an upright fridge. I'll leave that mod for the next owner, should they need it.

steve c

Adventurer
Does anyone have a source for replacing the handles with a tie down solution?

Something like this?

attachment.php

Is that member still making those?

crismateski

American Adventurist
Does anyone have a source for replacing the handles with a tie down solution?

Something like this?

attachment.php

Is that member still making those?

Not sure that he has anymore Steve, but he is a buddy of mine, I will text him tonight and see

steve c

Adventurer
I just used the steel replacement handles you can see in this post, or in my album here.

Available here, very inexpensive.

They work very well, even with the tension of a full ratchet strap, not just a cam-lock.

Not sure that he has anymore Steve, but he is a buddy of mine, I will text him tonight and see

Thanks guys!

This arrived yesterday.

Plugged it in and it got cold pretty fast! I'm excited to start using this thing instead of a cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78