Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

afbond03

Adventurer
To clarify, by "lowest setting" you mean fully clockwise or fully counterclockwise?

Fully counterclockwise. Basically when it clicks from off to on, I leave it there. I have tried putting it all the way clockwise as well and same result of course. It is really odd that it is only doing it on 12v.

laxtoy

Adventurer
For those with broken plastic hinges, many know there are replacement options such as steel ones made for similar model Whynter, I found a link for them at $12.50 a piece and the site says free shipping, gonna buy a pair and see for myself. They look like a huge improvement, even have a stop so no need for the cheesy tether.

http://ambientstores.com/whynter-fm-metal-freezer-hinge-part/

Site doesn't list it but part number is FM-HNGM

steve c

Adventurer
I bought a 63qt Edgestar from OpenBox Direct.
The one they sent me didn't get all the way cold. It would get down to the high 30ºs, but that's about it.
I called and let them know and they sent me a replacement within 3 days.
Once I got the replacement, I figured why not try to fix the broken one.
I added refrigerant and it seems to work.

I made a stupid comparison video just for fun with this thread in mind :D
[video]https://youtu.be/vqOTYDGeUjU[/video]

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For those with broken plastic hinges, many know there are replacement options such as steel ones made for similar model Whynter, I found a link for them at $12.50 a piece and the site says free shipping, gonna buy a pair and see for myself. They look like a huge improvement, even have a stop so no need for the cheesy tether.

http://ambientstores.com/whynter-fm-metal-freezer-hinge-part/

Site doesn't list it but part number is FM-HNGM

After going through two sets of plastic hinges I put those on my 43qt. Worked very well. When I sold my fridge, the new owner got metal hinges, metal handles, everything from this thread!

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
Solar panel for Edgestar 43 qt:

I have a dedicated battery for my frig and a 5w solar panel I use as needed. Even on bright sunny days, the panel can't keep the battery above the 11.6v range. I had the battery tested and handles a load fine.

If I start the Jeep and run it for 10 / 15 min. it charges up the battery but doesn't last but 1/2 hr.

Is this panel just not enough or is there some other issue going on?

Should I consider a marine / deep cycle battery?

JLee

Adventurer

I have a dedicated battery for my frig and a 5w solar panel I use as needed. Even on bright sunny days, the panel can't keep the battery above the 11.6v range. I had the battery tested and handles a load fine.

If I start the Jeep and run it for 10 / 15 min. it charges up the battery but doesn't last but 1/2 hr.

That's not nearly enough power: http://www.edgestar.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html

I found a review on Amazon that said these pull about 3 amps while running. 3 amps at 12VDC is 36 watts.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Yeah, 5W is about enough to slowly charge a cell phone. I use a 100W for my 65qt Whynter and it's still smaller than I'd like.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer

Your solar panel isn't nearly enough wattage to keep up with the fridge's draw on the battery. Most folks here recommend 80-120 watts minimum to run a fridge more than a day or two.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
That's not nearly enough power: http://www.edgestar.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430,default,pd.html

I found a review on Amazon that said these pull about 3 amps while running. 3 amps at 12VDC is 36 watts.

Yeah, 5W is about enough to slowly charge a cell phone. I use a 100W for my 65qt Whynter and it's still smaller than I'd like.

Yikes! I misread the current draw in my manual. I only saw the .75amp draw and didn't notice it was for AC. Now I have to rethink what to do. Don't know if I want to invest in a 100W (+) panel.

I'll be first doing an insulation blanket and see how much that changes things.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you drive the thing for a decent bit of time every day when you're using the fridge, you can probably get away with just adding enough battery capacity to run it for 12+ hours and still be able to start the Jeep, relying on it recharging while driving.

Basically, you need solar if it's going to spend a lot of time parked with the fridge running. But if you're camping overnight and then driving, wheeling, etc. during the days, you're fine with just battery power (as long as you have enough).

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I've been re-reading most of the previous posts and I'm zeroing in on the wiring thing. I'm going to upgrade to 10g first and see if I get any results. It's beginning to sound more like that might be the best place to start.

plh

Explorer
I've been re-reading most of the previous posts and I'm zeroing in on the wiring thing. I'm going to upgrade to 10g first and see if I get any results. It's beginning to sound more like that might be the best place to start.

Do I understand correctly? 5 Watt panel? That will get you 0.3 amps/hr .... Useless for this application even with 10 gage wiring.

For example: If you get 8 hours of good quality sun (unlikely this much thou) with your setup, then you will add 2.4 amps back to your battery each day. Estimate that your fridge will use 2 amps/hr and therefore around 48 amps each day. You can see the deficit.

Then as a rough example a 100 watt panel (like has been mentioned above) will produce 8 amps/hr or 64 amps back to you battery in that same good 8 hour sunny day. Obviously not every day has good sun and good panel aiming and therefore is why most people are going with a panel in the general area of 100 Watts. A group 31 (roughly 100 AH rated capacity) battery is recommended being fully depleting a battery is never good. Plus the added size can help make up for the days with less sun.

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer

You don't have nearly enough solar power to keep up, regardless of wiring.

I ran my stock GX470 battery overnight (just ran a battery clamp adapter) and then ran through the 12v aux jack during the day when the truck was running. It ran overnight without causing any low-battery problems in the morning.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
When I had the frig in a GC a few years ago, the battery maintained a better charge. Same frig different vehicle. I've re-routed and cleaned up my wiring and noticed an issue with one of my connections and hope that's the problem. I also eliminated about 4+ ft. of excess 16g wire as well as upgraded it all to 10g. I knew the 5w solar panel was pretty wimpy but I already had it so any extra bit of power may help. I'll know for sure this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78