Edgestar/Whynter fridge tie down brackets

1stDeuce

Explorer
I know these fridges are getting old but it looks like Whynter is still making them.
I recently broke a handle off my (8 year old) fridge and decided I'd make some actual tie downs for it so I don't have to replace another $20 handle...

I used 1/8" aluminum, which should be plenty strong for holding a fridge in place.

KIMG1429.JPG

KIMG1430.JPG

I made five sets, so if anyone still needs tie down brackets for their fridge, shoot me a PM and I'll get a set headed your way. I'd like $40/set including the ride. If you have stainless handles, let me know and I'll drill out those holes too. If more than four of you want brackets, I'll make more.

FWIW, if anyone needs to replace a broken handle, they are still available online from Ambient's online store. The plastic handles are here, and Stainless ones here. Quite a few other parts show up on their site if you put in FM-65G as the fridge model. There are stainless hinges, latches, and complete lid assemblies available, along with electrical parts and such.

My fridge has holes for both kinds of handles, and I'm betting most do as it says something like that on the website. You can buy two stainless ones and never need to buy handles again, or just replace one plastic one like me and use the tie down brackets so you don't break the handles...

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Many years ago someone on here offered up similar as these. I bought a pair and they work fantastic. My Edgestar is still running fine too 10 years after I bought it used. It has been powered almost continuously either in the back of a vehicle or in my basement since I bought it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, ours is probably almost that old too, and served as our chest freezer for probably five years intermittently. (Our yearly quarter of a cow fills two normal fridge freezers and overflow goes into the Edgestar...)

I tried to buy tie down brackets a LONG time ago, and am pretty sure I went as far as sending money with PP, but none ever showed up and I'm figured I'd just make more since I don't see anyone selling them anymore...

Reactions: plh

slomatt

Adventurer
A friend and I both have Edgestars that are ~15 years old and still running just fine, these seem to be amazingly reliable. The only issue I had is that the plastic hinges broke, I replaced them with stainless parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears