Educate me: 100 vs 200 series to replace my jeeps

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Just wondering

Can You sleep in a stock LC 200 with the second seat folded, is it long enough for 2 people, without any modification
-
For shure. Just fold both seat rows, the 2nd and 3rd - and put a board over - and you can setup a large bed. 2.10m lengt, 1.6m with - similar to many standard hotel room beds. Just the entry area behind is limited to 1.2m.
-
DSC00544.JPG

-
This way I spent the first night inside of the car, to get an idea about travelling this way. Here are some other pictures who may help inside of the discussion.
-
DSC02190.jpg

-
TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

-
DSC03238.jpg

-
DSC02229.jpg

-
240_img_1489_1.jpg

-
Here you will find more about our trip: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com
-
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
I respectively disagree. The 200 chassis is quite HD... just about all of the problem areas, if one wants to call them that, on the 100 were addressed with larger and/or HD designs, some significantly so. The 200 is FAR closer to a 70 Series in build and design than a LR4 is to a 110. Some items, like the bearings, are not serviceable on the 200, but are on the 70. Brakes are easy to deal w/, as are bushings. IFS will almost always require more servicing than a traditional solid axle, as there is a lot more going on. Stock class 200 series compete successfully in Dakar and Baja races... it is an off road chassis, and very well built. I have years of time invested in studying and building the 200 and its Tundra derivative, they make other vehicles look silly.
So do I. Anyone that poo poos a 200 has never been under one.

CYK

Adventurer
Thats is not a question, thats an initiation for an e-argument; you know the difference you just want to debate it. If I spent $70K on an SUV and some said “oh is nice, but for 4 wheeling is kinda meh” I'm not sure I'd want to read it either. What I have posted is my opinion of the UZJ200, but in no way do expect others to agree. This is the interwebz, its all opinion...

Now for more opinion….

The 200 is not a bad truck, it sure does have some nice features. (Much nicer than many USA SUV platforms.) With 300+ HP you can sure tow a lot. And those cool seats are….wicked cool. But, by design (its target market), its a luxury SUV targeted to the wealthily, not an off road platform. Sure one can put a bull-bar bumper and winch on one, and set of Duratracs, and try to make it look like an off road truck. However it will take a lot more than that to get it to perform well on unimproved roads and trails.

FWIW, I know of a few people who bought 200s and after two years traded them in for HDJ78s (and another who is about to trade in for a Y61 Patrol). The UZJ200 chassis' are just not durable enough for constant duty on Costa Rica's unmaintained roads; bushings, bearings, brake pads are wearing out exceptionally fast. To me that says a lot, but thats just me — and my opinion.

The UZJ100 was Toyotas contestant to gain US luxury SUV market share, and that it did; at least 1990s models came with lockers. I think the UZJ100 is a great value right now and highly reliable; front diff is its Achilles' Heel.

I look at it this way: UZJ200 is to the HDJ78 what the Land Rover LR4 is to Defender 110. The former being nice luxurious rides and the later being designed for off-road use--from marques who exemplify durable vehicle design.

The OPs goals for one truck is tough. His JK Rubicon is a great off road platform. The towing/off-road equilibrium point is tough one to achieve.

Just stop

CYK

Adventurer
So do I. Anyone that poo poos a 200 has never been under one.

Can you technically explain what you're seeing worth highlighting and share how similar/dissimilar the LC200 is compared to the Tundra? Thanks, slee!

Last edited:

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Can you technically explain what you're seeing worth highlighting and share how similar/dissimilar the LC200 is compared to the Tundra? Thanks, slee!

I think Brian has more info comparing them to a Tundra. I have yet to see anything on the 200 that is lesser that the equivalent part on a 100.

To compare what a 200 can do vs. a 40 on a trail does not make sense. How does a 40 compare to a 200 doing higher speed off-road tracks?

They are very well build trucks. Yes, there is more electronics, but it is a modern vehicle. Yes, they are bigger, but that are build to be a bigger truck.

The current 70 series is a build using all the parts that is left over at Toyota. Ask any Australian how the inside of the double cab is finished. Or why the front and rear track width on the pickups are so different.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
The UZJ200 chassis' are just not durable enough for constant duty on Costa Rica's unmaintained roads; bushings, bearings, brake pads are wearing out exceptionally fast. To me that says a lot, but thats just me — and my opinion.

Define chassis. Is that the frame or are you including the whole of the drive train. Also what exactly are failing? What is the interval on brake pads? Faster than the 15k on the front of the 80? Toyota bushing are exceptional and I doubt there is any difference in bushings that are used in a 70 and a 200. What bearings are failing?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Also what exactly are failing?

Christo, I will answer, but I'm not going to be dragged into one of your famous IH8MUD e-debates.

On all 3 CR based trucks various chassis parts required replacement prematurely (in <15,000 kilometers) including: control arm bushing, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and brake pads (which seems to come from a very enthusiastic traction control system). I've experience first hand clunking control arm bushing and loose wheel bearings; after me saying to my buddy &#8220;no that couldn't be, the truck is near brand new&#8221;&#8230; (the later being discovered while searching for the former). Granted all repairs were w/in warrantee but all 3 owners live >200 kilometers from San Jose Toyota which is a hardship. My buddy Pieter, from SA, said "if wanted to waste two days a month going to San Jose I would have bought a Defender"

Does the above corrective maintenance/repair condemn the 200 platform, no. But it does offer some some data that the 200, (for a price tag of just shy $100K in CR), may not be the penultimate Land Cruiser as many think. People can get all indignant about what I'm sharing here, but there are lots of used late model LC 200s Si Vende right now in CR; and few used HJ75s up for grabs. And in a country that idealizes the Land Cruiser marquee.

For a daily driver in the US I'm just not seeing the value add of a 200 over a Sequoia; very similar specs but the later being being 1/3 less in cost. Same engine too IIRC. The G-wagon is a remarkably engineered truck, but I would not want its total cost of ownership. Data is data, like opinion, the more someone can get, (and filter), the better one can make an educated decision. Lots of good stuff here for the OP to ponder.

CYK

Adventurer
Christo, I will answer, but I’m not going to be dragged into one of your famous IH8MUD e-debates.

On all 3 CR based trucks various chassis parts required replacement prematurely (in 200 kilometers from San Jose Toyota which is a hardship. My buddy Pieter, from SA, said "if wanted to waste two days a month going to San Jose I would have bought a Defender"

Does the above corrective maintenance/repair condemn the 200 platform, no. But it does offer some some data that the 200, (for a price tag of just shy $100K in CR), may not be the penultimate Land Cruiser as many think. People can get all indignant about what I’m sharing here, but there are lots of used late model LC 200s Si Vende right now in CR; and few used HJ75s up for grabs. And in a country that idealizes the Land Cruiser marquee.

For a daily driver in the US I’m just not seeing the value add of a 200 over a Sequoia; very similar specs but the later being being 1/3 less in cost. Same engine too IIRC. The G-wagon is a remarkably engineered truck, but I would not want its total cost of ownership. Data is data, like opinion, the more someone can get, (and filter), the better one can make an educated decision. Lots of good stuff here for the OP to ponder.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Last edited:

CYK

Adventurer
I enjoy things like this as well... When there's substantive thoughts being shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeCKis300

Observer
later models 100's have a 5 speed and more power. the problem with the 4 speed is the 2-3 gear jump, which sucks towing even with stock tires. you lose approx 10% of your rwhp using 35's on a 100.

Glad someone pointed this out as there's a big gap between the early 100's and the later 100's with vvti. Some are doing a disservice to the 100 platform by not pointing out this difference as not all of them are slow and have weak diffs (early 99-02's). The later hundy's no longer had weak front diff's due to addition of 4 pinion front diffs. They got a significant performance bump with the 5speed and vvti. I've towed 6000+ lbs with mine on 33's and it was easy peasy even through the rockies.

I agree with you that 35's on the hundy can be cheap and easy. While some will poo poo on AHC, it would be short sighted for those interested to really do their own research and not have the negative experience of the few misinformed that spread bad info through the forums. If you ever look at it on the australian forum's, you'll see they cast a very different light on the matter. Get the right later gen 100-series, and 35's are only tires away from being a realistic option, as they come from upgraded front diff's, lower first gear with the 5 speed, AHC to handle clearance off-road, and no need for diff drops as highway running is always in the correct geometry. Only real mod is to hammer back the pinch weld, and possibly a mild .5" or 1" body lift if the tires are very aggressive in profile.

texascrane

Adventurer
I agree with you that 35's on the hundy can be cheap and easy. While some will poo poo on AHC, it would be short sighted for those interested to really do their own research and not have the negative experience of the few misinformed that spread bad info through the forums. If you ever look at it on the australian forum's, you'll see they cast a very different light on the matter.

I'm thinking about whether or not I should remove the AHC from my 100. I'd be curious to read some of the aussie opinions on the issue. Any forums I should look at in particular? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears