Educate me on snow chains for a Tacoma, please

yedi

Observer
Having lived in the south most of my life, I have no experience whatsoever with snow chains. I know that some of the parks out west require vehicles to have snow chains before entering in the winter, so I figure I need to pick up some. I was hoping for some education from you guys. Specifically, are chains or cables better? Tacomas only use them on the rear wheels? Any particular brand or type I should check out? I'm running 265/75r16 BFG ATs, if that changes any answers. Thanks all!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hi,

Some mountain passes also require chains at certain times although I think 4wds are exempt from highway chain restrictions here in Colorado. Some parks with chain restrictions may require that 4wd vehicles carry chains but they may not need to be installed.

Cable chains are lighter in weight and easier to carry and install but don't provide as much bite as conventional chains. Either are a huge help in slippery conditions though and I'm pretty sure either qualify where chain restrictions are in place.

There is some debate about which tires to chain up. With a 4wd vehicle, it's generally most effective to chain the front tires if you only use one pair. That will help with directional steering and braking control. Chaining all four provides the most traction and control, of course, but that's generally not needed.

Eric

Expedition Leader
Many IFS trucks (like Tacos) don't have much clearance between the front tires and the upper control arms, so you really must do a trial fit that includes turning from lock to lock. If you don't have enough clearance, you will ruin the chains, beat up your upper control arms (if not bring the truck to a stop), and possibly cut up your ABS electrical harness. Rears are no problem, so the thing to do is buy one pair for your size of wheels/tires and try them on the front. If you're certain that there is enough clearance, then buy a second pair, otherwise just use the first pair on the rear.

steve103

Observer
chains are the way to go. cables work but are pron to breaking more than chains. rudd 4x4 chains are great,you are able to install them with-out having to drive them on,even if you are stuck you can put them on. the big thing with ifs is that upper control arm clearence. so you need to get aftermarket wheels with a bigger back space or use wheel spacers,though im not a fan of them. for the money chains and cables are the same price 200 for 4. i love may rudd chains just got back from a week of off roading in the inyo mountains. up 18inch drifts of snow was no prop with chains, with all 4 on up hill was a dream. if you realy want to do it right do the mods do get all 4 on.

m3bassman

Observer
Many IFS trucks (like Tacos) don't have much clearance between the front tires and the upper control arms, so you really must do a trial fit that includes turning from lock to lock. If you don't have enough clearance, you will ruin the chains, beat up your upper control arms (if not bring the truck to a stop), and possibly cut up your ABS electrical harness. Rears are no problem, so the thing to do is buy one pair for your size of wheels/tires and try them on the front. If you're certain that there is enough clearance, then buy a second pair, otherwise just use the first pair on the rear.

this is extremely important!

As said chains are what you want. they "bite" into the ice in a way i dont thing cables can. i used mine for the first time a couple weekends ago. ended up on a north bank where the sun doesnt reach this time of year. Had 100ft drop off the edge and 4-6 inches of solid ice to drive on. I kept having the light rear end squirming to the edge. chained up the rear and was able to continue on easy as pie. really made me a believer in chains.

Buy em and keep them in your truck. when you get in a spot where you actually need them, they will be worth their weight in gold!

Side note, with the chains, get the ones in a diamond pattern, as it will keep chains in constant contact with the road surface. the traditional "ladder" style you get a chain tire chain tire situation. good luck!

seanpistol

Explorer
Like said, the requirement will likely be "vehicles with 4wd or chains".

I have never used chains in my life and am always driving in a lot of snow.

Mtn Mike

Observer
Here in Washington I've only seen the requirement of "4x4 OR chains", never both. Does anyone know specifically where chains would be required? I've always thought about getting chains. We got snowed-in in the Colville NF a few years ago and barely made it out with AT tires and 4wd. Chains would have made it a cake walk.

keezer37

Explorer
Here in Washington I've only seen the requirement of "4x4 OR chains", never both. Does anyone know specifically where chains would be required? I've always thought about getting chains. We got snowed-in in the Colville NF a few years ago and barely made it out with AT tires and 4wd. Chains would have made it a cake walk.

For $100-$120, just carry them. It's like any other emergency stuff you may carry. I usually see R2 which is 4x4 under 6.5k carry them also but I'm glad I have them. I too have had an incident (R2 condition) where I should have put them on just the same. So now my rule is if I know I'm going to be going down the mountain in third gear, the chains go on. My Duratracs get mad traction in the deep stuff but not on ice.

OndrejT100

I like to do rear if only one pair. Or all four is best. Only use them offroad, never needed them on the road. I bought them on craigslist. There are a ton out there but harder to find some for the bigger tires. I paid $50 for one set and $30 for the other set.
IMG_0132.jpg

You want chains, not cables. As far as chain sizes the owners manual has that information. At least Toyota's recommendations for what will work best in stock form.

upcountry

Explorer
Chains are also a must for really deep muddy conditions.

My opinion on chains vs. cables is:

-Cables are for highway driving where extra traction is needed. You can still operate the vehicle at a relatively high speed with cables. Cables will not help much in a deep unpacked snow condition.

-Chains are for deep unpacked snow conditions. They are not suitable for highway operartion at medium or high speeds. Chains are great if you are navigating deep snow or dont need to drive very fast.

Regarding UCA clearance, I run cables on the front, and chains on the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger