eezi awn knock of...

Scott Brady

Founder
They are very similar. The Hannibal has a zipper design for the cover and door that is much more problematic. Other than that, they are nearly the same.

gjackson

FRGS
Roof tent relability and quality will always be debated, but I thought I'd add my 2c. The Ezi Awn is very well built (just look at one!) but they do rely on velcro for the main door lower closure. After 18 months of daily use in Africa some friends of ours complained that the velcro was not working any more. And it wasn't. At the same time, our Technitop was still fine after 9 months of use. This for a tent that we thought may not last the full trip. I'm not comparing the Technitop to the Ezi Awn here, because they are both awesome tents, but neither are without issues.

Hannibal makes very high quality tents as well, but for the cover. The outside dust cover is zippered all the way around. Just try to make a zipper do a square, add dust and mud, and you have a bad combination. Pain to open, even more of a pain to close. Great tent once it is up.

cheers

toyrunner95

Explorer
ahhhh, see no one says anyting about the zipper cover in thier advertisements. perhaps its worth the extra 100 bucks.

does pangea sell the ezi awn econo 1200 rtt? i like that price.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Brownchurch Tents

60seriesguy said:
The first rooftop tents I ever saw were British Brownchurch and Italian Maggiolina tents, back in Venezuela in the late 1980's. My dad bought a Brownchurch in 1985 and my cousin is still using it, after 20 years of abuse in a tropical environment.

Virtually every tent I've seen since then, with a few exceptions, are simply variations of the original designs. The Eezi-Awn and Hannibal may have some distinctive features, but are they really that different?

Thus, I don't think it's necessarily the DESIGN that sets them apart, it's the quality of the construction and materials. You can't compare those flimsy nylon tents with the heavy-duty canvas of a true expedition tent, there's no way the lighter-duty tents will stand up to the elements in the same way. Ditto for the hardware, the material used for flooring and ladder, even the stitching. The hefty price you pay for the real thing is for the overall quality of the product, and that's something that so far is not available from cheap reproductions.

OK, I got curious about the "old school' Brownchurch tents and found their site... Rover guys know of them for sure so this is FYI for the rest of us...

http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/

LUISJG

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
ok since we are talking about knock off tents and cheaply made products. which do you guys think is better

hannibal or eziawn.

i was looking at a hannibal, its about $100 more expensive and has a more encoumpasing rain fly. plus they use them in africa everywhere, or so they say. but whats the diffrence and why did you pick what you did.

eezi awn. the tent is the best i have seen by far.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the link Dave. That is an interesting tent, and very compact when folded. No matress, but for those with space needs.

2000side.jpg

2000top.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12